1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wood Elf The Flimsy Crusade (CTALE / CC)

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Borke, May 21, 2014.

1. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    So, I'm finally on my way to putting a team in the CC, I've missed out on this fun competition so far. The Flimsy Crusade has taken on the task, and the road so far has been 6 CTA games (4-1-1) and the first match of CTALE (1-0-0).

And really, this is turning out to be quite different, because these are not elves any more. They are a freakshow:

[​IMG]

It's going to be an experiment - can these stat boosted monstrosities survive long enough to pick up some normal skills? One thing is for sure: This Crusade is not so Flimsy any more... :D

2. Remthar

Remthar Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Holy...

What the hell are these things?! What are you feeding them?!

3. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    They feed on the tears of their opponents. And love!

4. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    they certainly took plenty of love from the heels of my vultures, and turned it into sparkles... hateful, evil, unwanted sparkles :D

5. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Reminds me a little of my Forum Open Challenge League (now defunct) team:

[​IMG]

Yours is even stronger, though - good luck filling them out some :D

6. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    wow. Right now it is 5 stats, 2 doubles and 4 normal skills. That is some serious doping.

7. Altashheth

Altashheth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    i demand a drugs check

8. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, that didn't last long, Limdood kindly removed some of that excess TV for me, namely the +ST Lineman. T1: Dead - Apo - Dead...

The whole match was an unpleasant affair for me, with armor breaks galore, most of them resulting in KO or worse. Fortunately no more permanent damage, and only one MNG in the form of the Treeman. Also the +ST/+AG Lineman got the MVP (after spending most of the game on the KO box), so he now needs only 11 more SPP to get his first defensive skill. Probably...

9. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    it was a brutal game for Borke....the elves were something like -32 overall on d6 and 2d6...although the 2d6 sampling was small as they only threw 9 blocks.

being 2 players down on T1 didn't help him at all (both the death and treeman MNG was T1...block death and foul-MNG). he got some minor revenge in the fact that my next opponent will NOT have a POMB blitzer to worry about, seeing as she was MNG (apo -> dead....both team's apo's have been fired and replaced) by a rather cheeky foul on T2 or 3....a good move by borke, but so risky.

10. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Third game in CTALE and the attrition continues, sort of. My Block/Kick Lineman picked up a -ST, and I'm still debating whether or not I should replace him. His Kick is still very valuable, and with Block he's semi-protected as well. But that's for later to decide, as he's out for next game anyway, as are two other Linemen, so I'm down to 7 players for next game. I'll have all my positionals, though, and four loners is good for the LOS. :D

We got 3 levels out of the game, and what do you know, the new Catcher I purchased before the game got another double and took our third Guard! We also now have a +AG/Guard/Block Catcher, as well as a +ST/Tackle Wardancer. Roster on the first page has been updated for your viewing pleasure :p

11. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    The Flimsy Crusade continues with a 4-2 victory over Elverton BC. Lots of casualties on both sides, but nothing lasting for the Crusade (Wallbanger was not as lucky).

We pick up another level on the second Wardancer, and what do you know, she rolls a 10 and gets +MA for her trouble!

Before the next game I need to decide whether or not to replace the Kick/Block/-ST Lineman. I'll be facing Znarx' DElves, who have several levels pending. Currently I'm at 70k TV below him, while fielding one Loner, which will go up to at least 130k with his levels, 140k even if I drop my support staff. I think keeping the Lineman under these circumstances sounds appealing, as I could get exactly a merc Catcher or Thrower with that money (or even more, if Znarx' has doubles or stats in those levels), giving me a bench for the first time!

Roster on the first page is updated for an easy view of our magnificent team. Any thoughts on the hiring/firing situation will be highly appreciated :)

12. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Yeah might as well keep and have a bench, though of course you could fire and get a wizard...

13. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    The Flimsy Crusade finished their visit to CTALE with a 4-0-1 record, taking first place in their division. We have also now played one of our two allowed CTA matches, drawing 1-1 with TS's Lizards. The whole team is healthy now (apart from the permanent damage, of course), with 10 players on the team.

So what's our status? (roster on first page updated, btw)

- We have two WDs, a +ST/Tackle/-MA and a +MA/Strip Ball
    - We have a Tree who managed to get a whole 2 SPP so far
    - We have two Catchers, one +AG/Guard/Block, one Guard only
    - The 7457 Lineman picked up Dodge
    - A Wrestle Lineman
    - A Guard Lineman
    - A Kick/Block/-ST Lineman, who turns out to be quite effective with all the Guard I have
    - A rookie Lineman

Now I am facing a couple of decisions:

1) Do I play another CTA game? The risk of course is that one of the players might get a MNG and not be available for the start of CC. On the other hand, both Catchers are 1 SPP away from a level, and the rookie Lineman needs just one TD, so I could pick up some more skills.
    2) I've got 250k in the bank, so I could get a bench for the first time in the team's history! I was thinking Thrower + Lineman, if it came to that. I really like the versatility of the Catchers, but perhaps with the -ST Lineman, a little extra strength might not be a bad idea. This would leave me with 90k emergency money - not a lot, but almost enough to replace another positional.

What are your thoughts on it?

14. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Depends on your next match. To my mind woodies need s bench hut ideally a loner one. So you want enough inducements to get that (plus a wiz even better). If you can't get that then you want around 14 players so you really can absorb some cas with linos. I guess I'm saying since CC matches by TV I would play one more CTA with 11 players. If you get some MNGs you'll get inducements, if not buy yourself up to at least 13 players.

15. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Heh, I'm not in the CC this time so you can trust me ;)

16. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Make that mostly by TV.;)

17. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Even if I assumed that you'd go only by current TV, it would feel like totally gaming the system if I tried to artificially reduce the TV before going into the CC. Or artificially increase it.

I understand how valuable it is to have Loner/Merc Linemen for Wood Elves, but I'm not sure I can really get to that point for this competition. I've checked all the teams that have applied to CC XIV so far, and there are 8 that have a TV clearly above me. That means I will most likely not be seeded in the top TV group, so I won't have more than 100-200k in inducements, and in some matches not even that.

The effect of all of this is that in order to have a bench, I need to buy it - unfortunately. The question remains: Is it worth it (and if so, should I include a Thrower/Catcher), or should I save the money to replace positionals more reliably?

18. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    A bench is totally worth it, as wood elves you should count on at least 2-3 casualties a game against mid tv opponents. If that reduces you to 8 or so players and then you take a ko or two you are in trouble, if it keeps you in the 10-11 range you're doing fine. The worst position you can be in as woodies is facing a moderately killy team with 11 players and neither inducements nor bank for a bench it can lose you games in ways you can do almost nothing about.

Ideally I'd be looking for a thrower and a catcher if I were you. Woodies are all about speed and a third catcher really helps out on offense, thrower is good for giving you the passing option. But the main thing is to get up to 13 players so buy what you think you can afford to get there.

19. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Hello everyone, time for an update on the adventures of The Flimsy Crusade! We have entered the Crunch Cup proper now, in Division 2, and things are going better than I expected so far.

Here is the squad at present:

[​IMG]

As you can see, I've bumped the number of players up to 12 recently, adding a Thrower and a Lineman. And I was not immediately punished for it, as everyone survived the next game!

The first two games of CC have been a 2-0 against Dragon Slayer, the Dwarf team of ScottishDunc (so that's that out of the way, I was really afraid of having this as the first fixture), and an amazing 5-3 against Dreamy's Kallahir Swifts (Pro Elves), which I was able to win on the back of some crucial 1s for Dreamy in the first half.

I really like where the team is standing at the moment. All the movement increases really give me a lot of flexibility, and Raymond of St Giles is working wonders every single game. I'm also quite happy with Louis VII, who provides great mobility for bullshit plays, and therefore seems worth his extraordinary salary.

I'd still like to get Block on all my Guard pieces, and either Block or Wrestle on Louis VII, but some of these skillups are within striking distance now, so just a few more games without too many injuries (yeah, right), and we should be there!

20. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    While the other teams still need to play their MD7 matches, the table in division 2 is such that we can already be sure The Flimsy Crusade has made the playoffs. MD5 and MD6 saw us lose games, while MD7 was only a draw, so the team is definitely not infallible (hint: the weakness is the coach).

But look into that spoiler above to see the beauty that is this roster :D

I think we are ready for the playoffs, although it's certainly not going to be easy, there are formidable teams and coaches out there.