1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New y'Ork Giants

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Kolat, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    Greetings my friends! We started a tabletop league at my local store Grimfoe Games in upstate NY this past month. We have 12 players, with 6 teams in each conference. We are allowed 2 pre-season maches, and then currently 1 friendly and 3 league games. This allows for 6 games by March 18th to be played.

Currently my team is 3-1, and 2nd place in my division. Below is the current incarnation of the team:

The New y'Ork Giants
    4-1 in League / 1-1 in friendles / 2-0 in Playoffs / 7-2 overall, 1520 tv, 3 rr, 7 ff

4 Black Orks

Justin Tuck - Block - 12 SSP
    Michael Strahan - Block, Guard - 19 SSP
    Jason Pierre Paul - No skills - 5 SSP
    Mark Bavaro - Block - 6 SSP

4 Blitzers

Lawence Taylor - Block, +ST, Dodge - 20 SSP
    Carl Banks - Block, Guard - 8 SSP
    Aaron Pierce - Block, Guard, Tackle - 20 SSP
    Pepper Johnson - Block, Dodge - 12 SSP

1 Line Ork

Bart Oates - No skills - 1 SSP

1 Thrower

Eli Manning - Sure Hands, Pass, Block - 6 SSP

1 Goblin

Tom Coughlin - Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff, Side Step - 6 SSP

1 Troll

Bill Parcells - Loner, Always Hungry, Mighty Blow, Really Stupid, Regeneration, Throw Team-Mate, Guard - 7 SSP

Matches in following posts...

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  2. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    Preseason / Friendly Match versus the Valhalla Foulers (Amazons).

Orks WIn 3-0

The game started off the Orks kicking to the Zons. With a Pitch Invasion that saw rocks thrown at, and stunning 4 of the Orks. While only 1 of the Amazons! (they were clearly Fouler Fans intent on joining the fun)

The first half was a slogfest with the Foulers pushing down the sidelines until a blitz cause the ball to bounce into the hands of Black Orc blocker Mark Bavaro. Who slowly walked up the sideline to score on the last turn of the half.

It was also a punctuated with 2 kills by Michael Strahan! (only Helmwige actually died, Gerhilde was fine after a look over by the Fouler Apothecary)

2nd Half began with a blizzard, and the Orks slogged forward with a 4 turn score. Another kill by Strahan, and a TD for Lawrence Taylor. Next kick off saw only 6 Zon's on the pitch with 3 killed, and 2 knocked out. A major scrum began (because the ref was finally ejected, much to the delight of the Nuns), but allowed Lawrence Taylor to steal the ball and wait out the half to score a 2nd TD right before the end!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  3. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    1st League Game versus the Lake Eerie Monsters (Wood Elves).

Orks win 2-1

The was played in perfect Blood Bowl weather for both halves. The Lake Eerie Monsters lost the coin toss and were forced to receive a deep kick from the New yOrk Giants. While the ball was in the air, a sneaky git Monsters Fan through a rock knocking a Line Orc on his face. Understandably the Orks were not happy about this, yet couldn't capitalize on the anger to punish the Elves. The Elves went to one sideline, and found it blocked by a veritable wall of Orks. They then did an end around, and found some room in the middle of the field with a wardancer slicing to the endzone for a score on Turn 4.

The Orks were a bit down, but LT snarled at the rest of the team, flexed his massive arms and picked up the ball. He then proceeded to beat his way down the field despite the best efforts of the wardancers leaping in to throw blocks at him. Knocking them aside like leafs in the wind, LT marched into the endzone on Turn 8. During the march 2 elves were knocked out, but one came back after the half.

Coach Dineen assured his team that if they followed the game plan known as "Da'Grind!", they would assuredly win. Receiving the ball, LT picked up the bouncing ball and promptly walked into the pre-formed cage. With the cage locked in, the Orks worked down the field methodically. Aaron Pierce nutpunched a Wardancer so hard, he may have died from internal injuries. And Justin Tuck would not be out done as he uppercutted a line elf off the pitch and into the medic tent...

It was a long 2nd half for the elves, with them having 7 men on the pitch by the time LT strolled untouched into the endzone on Turn 8. "Da'Grind!" brought victory to the New yOrk Giants, and their fans celebrated into the wee hours of the night...

4. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    2nd League game versus the Darkside Cowboys (High Elves)

Orks lose 2-0

Unfortunately no report for this one, though it could have been a 1-1 draw if I hadn't over extended my cage on turn 4 with Aaron Pierce (with Guard), as he was able to push him away and made a 2 die both Explosions on Lawrence Taylor... Oh well, I learned a lesson!

3rd League game versus The Little Giants (Dwarves)

Orks win 2-0

The New y'Ork Giants and The Little Giants faced off on the gridiron of battle... Sharing a mascot, the powerful being known as a Giant, there was no love lost between these teams. Their bloodlines, Ork and Dwarf, fueled by aeons on hatred that spanned the world and even dimensions of reality.

The Little Giants won the toss and elected to receive the spiked ball. While in the air, the Dawrvish fans threw a rock directly at Pepper Johnson's dome knocking him into the dugout unconcious. The Dawrves then began taking vengeance upon the Orks, knocking 3 Black Orks and a Blitzer onto their green skinned asses, though they failed to pick up the ball as it bounced out of reach of the Dwarven runner. The Orks bounced back within the next few turns as the Dwarves caged up, and knocked the Dwarven runner over stunning him. Allowing Lawrence Taylor to scoop up the ball and walk the ball in on turn 4.

Kicking back off to the Dwarves, Pepper Johnson got badly hurt by a Trollyslayer as the Dwarves continued to find chinks in the Ork armor. The half ended with the ball bouncing around, though Eli was able to get one pass off...

The 2nd Half saw the Orks attempting to receive yet the ball sailed far off the pitch, and the ball was handed to a surprised Mark Bavaro. The surprise lasted the briefest of moments as the Black Ork smiled, his tusks gleaming in the sunlight as he began a long plodding march down the field. A number of times doing his own blocking, as the Dwarves continued to punish the apparently lightly armored Orks... Eventually badly hurting Jason Pierre-Paul on turn 5. However, Nuffle smiled upon the Orks from that point on as 5 Dwarves, despite their thick skulls, ended being knocked the eff out. Eventually allowing Bavaro to cross the finish line on turn 8!

The Orks chanted their victory song all the way to the local pub, and partied long into the night....

5. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Nice team name !

The Troll should be the Giant's mascot ! :p

6. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    The Troll kind of is the mascot, as I have a love/hate relationship with Bill Parcells... I love him for the 2 Super Bowl wins in '86 and '90, yet I hate him for leaving and giving us over a decade of mediocrity in the 90s! Hence the Trolls trait of Really Stupid... :lol:

And I do think the team is pretty beats! I want my gobbo to get upgraded quick as I want Kick on him desperately! Almost gave it last game to my passer, but I felt Block is necessary as people will pick up Strip Ball.

The strength 4 LT and Blodge Blitzers have been amazing... Loving those double rolls. Eventually I'm liking each Black Ork to have Block, and then Guard. Mighty Blow is nice, but those other two skills are so much more useful over their lifetime in my opinion, thoughts?

7. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    A recent addition to OCC are the "New Ork Gi-Unts" which I briefly thought this was about.

Nicely played :)

Edit: Guard for a short lifetime, MB for a long one (since they get guard faster as a third skill than they get MB as a third skill ;))
    First One to two skills can get guard first, since it is a good skill to have on the team.

8. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks Nikolai!

And the MB vs. Guard suggestion is for the Black Orks correct? As this will be a long league, looking to play it throughout the year so our group is expecting 20-30 games for each team. Depending if any get retired of course!

9. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Yes, MB before guard except possibly on the first one. (Block first, of course)

Depends a bit, but MB is supposed to allow them to skill up faster,

10. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    Fair enough, I can see that being a good thing, faster leveling seems decent. Might be a while before any of them see 16 SSP, but here's to hoping! ;)

11. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    The New y'Ork Giants stared across the pitch at their opponent in this training scrimmage, the Scaleville Block Heads, and cracked their knuckles eager for the contest to begin. Having not faced a lizard team in what seemed like aeons, the Ork gobbo coach D'neen da Scheisty was attempting to size up the cold blooded bastards. His opponent boasted stronger players, which was a rare feat against the Orks. D'neen da Scheisty was more concerned about the wee quick lil'lizzies then the bigger ones. As his Orks loved a good fight, but weren't exactly quick on their feet... How true that concern would prove to be!

The lizies won the toss, and informed the Ork Kaptain Lawrence Taylor that they would receive. LT grinned in menencingly, looking forward to getting his hands on one of the wee ones, and ordered his team to line up for the kick off. The ball sailed through the air of perfect Blood Bowl weather, and landed deep on the lizzies side of the field. The Block Heads commenced on knocking a few Black Orks off the line of scrimmage, and scooped up the ball. Forming a loose cage near the halfway marker, the lizzies left an opening. The Ork blitzers ran around the outside of the tackles zones of the Saurus, and made a bee line for the Skink w/the ball. More pushing and shoving occured between the Black Orks and Troll against the Saurus' and Krozigor. Leaving some of each on the ground.

Around Turn 3 the Ork Blitzer Aaron Pierce was able to knock the skink on its scaley ass letting the ball pop loose into the waiting hands of Pepper Johnson. The Orks responded to D'neen da Scheisty's loud call to cage up and march down the field. The lizzies kept pressure on the ball, but without being able to break the Ork cage. Pepper Johnson walked into the endzone on turn 6.

1-0 Orks!

Now it was time for the lizzies to show the Orks some good'ole razzle dazzle, as they received the ball and commenced to dodge skinks around the Ork line. Allowing them to score on their turn 8. D'neen da Scheisty wasn't too happy with his defensive scheme and yelled at his team during the halftime intermission.

1-1 at Half.

The Orks received the ball in the 2nd half, still in perfect weather with Tom Coughlin scooping it up. Coughlin apparently forgot to read the opponents team report, and forgot that one of the opposing skinks was Str 3. Which allowed the gobbo to be knocked on his bony ass around the line of scrimmage. The ball bounced around for a turn, until LT himself picked it up and began marching down the field. After having seen the end of the 1st half, D'neen da Scheisty called for his team to stall near the endzone hopping to run out the clock. This turned into a dangerous plan as the loose cage led by LT sent Orks back to dish out punishment to the lizzies, leaving him open for a hero 1 die blitz, that was rerolled into a knockdown result on turn 7. On turn 8 the Blockheads once again made a series of epic dodges and sweet passing to end the turn with a TD!

2-1 Blockheads!

D'neen da Scheisty threw down his hat, and began yelling at the ref in frustration. Yet the scoreboard would not change and the Scaleville Blockheads walked off the field leaving the stunned Orks to face the wrath of their diminutive coach...

-----

Of special note was the extremely frustrating fact that out of the 14 or so blocks that I put on SKinks throughout the game, I broke armor only twice! With one being a stun, and the last on turn 13 for a knockout.

As this was a friendly match, no issues with ranking but it could have gone so much better!

12. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    Been a while since I posted in this thread, as the 2nd half of the league (We run in two 1 month intervals, and then a month for playoffs), had my two opposing coaches in the last months games ended up dropping out of the league. Which gave me with 2 admin wins which in our league just awards you 2 MVPs.

I was in 2nd place of my league before, and ended up 2nd in the end behind 1st place Dark Elves. The other league had a 1st place Dwarven team. As the I was in 2nd place, I had the honor of playing against the other leagues 3rd place team… The Scaleville Blockheads (which I suffered a defeat against in a friendly match earlier in the season).

The Blockheads have a +1 ST and a +1 AG skin. As I learned well last time around I would need to focus on hitting them as much as possible!

Since this was the playoffs I opted to throw in 120k for a Babe and a RR, with the Blockheads almost emptying the bank account to drop 280k + the 130k in diff in team value… And he purchased a Wizard, Barik Farblast, a bribe and a babe! Suffice to say I was a bit flabbergasted, but I soldiered up and prepared for the match!

The game began in perfect Blood Bowl weather, and the Lizards won the toss electing to receive. The Orks set up in a Ziggurat defense, hoping to prevent the Lizard Coaches penchant for 2 turn scores. The kick went deep, and the game was on! The Lizard coach decided to throw his first block with his Krox which promptly went stupid… The Krox was stupid for 6 turns of the 1st half, failed one block on a reroll and finally made a block on the last turn of the half! Suffice it to say the Orks began to take advantage and pinned the Skink with the ball along the line. The Skink then opted to do an end around, and got a hand off to put the ball into the Ork half of the pitch. Luckily I had 2 blitzers back, just in case of this scenario, knocking the ball free and attempting my own scoring attempt up the middle of the pitch.

I failed a dodge attempt with my Thrower and that ended my chances on my final turn. The ball bounced into the middle of the field, and the Lizard coach was able to do a 3+ 4+ 3+ dodge and a 4+ pick up attempted, and then handed off on a +4 to a attempted a Normal Pass to the endzone, but luckily failed the catch roll and the half ended.

0-0 at half! Of note, like the last game I only broke a skink armor twice, a stun and knockout. The Lizard coach never fielded Barik as he thought he would score fast. So I knew if I was able to score and slow down the game, I may only need to see him 1 time!

Receiving the ball in the 2nd half I knew a Wizard would be watching my every move. I set up in an a standard formation designed to push the ball up the middle. I used my 1st turn blitz to attack his +1 ag skink, and was able to cause a causality! He chose not to use the apothecary as it was simply badly hurt, but I think that was a huge mistake as that skink was so very mobile. By turn 3 he has my ball carrier surrounded and blitz’s a Saurus to knock the ball lose next to the sideline. He mis-placed his ball carrier, giving me a surfing opportunity on my turn 4, which I happily take advantage of! The ball goes flying towards the angle of his pitch, 3 squares from the LOS. I am able to get Lawrence Taylor (Blodge, +1 st blitzer) to pick up the ball and move 1 square away with Tom Coughlin as a screening defense.

Since his skinks were all tied up or knocked down in my half I knew I had some time if I could survive Barik’s blitz! The Lizard coach attempted to blitz with Barik, but the chainsaw throws back on him and stuns himself! I then move forward in the next two turns, and score on my turn 5. He also elects not to use Wizard, thinking to use it offensively to clear people out of the way for a quick score.

The Lizards set up to receive, Barik is still on cause of the bribe, and I set up in a prevent defense to optimize blitzing skinks. He pushes back my line a bit, but is out of rr and fails the pickup! My Troll then badly hurts a Saurus, and allows me to clear the LOS to mark up skinks in my half. The next few turns see me stun, and knock out other skinks preventing him from scoring. On his turn 8 he can’t score so he finally uses his Wizard to lightning bolt Lawrence Tayolr, talk about spiteful! But LT raises his green skinned fist to the sky giving the elements the finger and is only stunned by nature’s fury…

Game ends 1-0 Orks, and I am on to the semi-finals. My Troll was my only advance afterwards, and I face either Dark Elves (my other loss) or Dwarves. I rolled a normal skill, so I am thinking Guard or Stand Firm for the Troll. Most likely Guard, but I am open for suggestions!

Once I have the team I will face, I’ll post it for some advice as it should be sometime this week.

My current build is on the first post of this thread, thanks!

13. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Seems like you are using nonstandard inducement rules?

Normally you can either add money, or take the free inducements - not add to the freebies with money. (Not that I can see what harm it would do - people would stop gaming their TV:s and would loose more money - win+win=winwin ;))

14. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    Yea for the playoffs our league allows money to be put in if you have it available... lol Makes life much more interesting!

15. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    This is the Dwarven Roster I'll be facing sometime next week...

Runner
    6 3 3 8 Sure Hands, Thick Skull, Pass, Accurate, Strong Arm

Runner, (Rookie)
    6 3 3 8 Sure Hands, Thick Skull

Troll Slayer
    5 4 2 8 Block, Dauntless, Frenzy, Thick Skull, Guard, +1 St

Troll Slayer
    5 3 2 8 Block, Dauntless, Frenzy, Thick Skull, Strip Ball

Blocker, times 5 (All just with Guard)
    4 3 2 9 Block, Tackle, Thick Skull, Guard

Blocker, times 3 (Rookies)
    4 3 2 9 Block, Tackle, Thick Skull

TV = 1470, 3 ReRolls, 11 Fan Factor, and only 10k in the Bank, No AC or Cheerleaders.

So ya, this guy as an atypical Runner who is built to carry, and then throw the ball if/when in trouble. My plan is to try and spot control his uber Trollslayer, and get to the runner ASAP. Aside from that mark his guys, leave a safety when he breaks a linemen or two 'down' the field. And really force him to fear his own 4 movement.

Thoughts?

16. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    His lack of Blitzers will hurt him as it makes the only valid receiver for the pass the other runner as well as making the team even slower. Mark up the uber slayer with a lino and if he ever hits the deck chain foul him.

Strip ball is a waste for him in this game as the ball should only be with your thrower. He actually has a lot of bloat in his team, what's your TV? If you can afford a Wizard get one, they are the Dwarves nemesis.

17. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Thought: Where are his blitzers?

Other than that, his passer does have some nice reach, but his catching ability is on the low. Easily marked away, except for his other runner.

18. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    No Blitzers, and my TV is 1470... Tied with his I believe. I'll have enough to drop in a Babe, which I am considering. Or just play him straight up.

I'm definitely planning on punishing him for his lack of movement, and using my Thrower to rock his face. :D

PS - Guard on the Troll?

19. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    The New y'Ork Giants gobber head coach D'neen da'Savvy stared across the pitch at his teams Semi-Final opponent, the Dwarven 'Hammererz'. The competition in the Grimfoe Gridiron League had been quite stiff, especially in the regular season's Smashin Face conference that the New y'Ork Giants had played in. The opposing coach was a wily old git, one with decades more experience on the pitch then D'neen da'Savvy. Knowing this the gobber head coach had recruited a local witch to offer sacrifices to Nuffle on his teams behalf. The gold he had paid the old crone hadn't been his anyways, but he hoped Nuffle appreciated the effort...

The Hammererz were a very popular team, and D'neen da'Savvy expected a great deal of fans to show up for the Dwarves. He wasn't wrong with the Dwarves drawing 13k drunk screaming cave dwelling Dwarves. What he was shocked about was the 14k rabid Ork fans that showed up. He hadn't bribed any of them, and knew his team wasn't smart enough to have recruited them... Yet they still filled the stands to bursting. Waving in a shocked manner, the gobber maintained a wide grin that turned a bit sour when the Dwarves won the roll and elected to kick.

The Orks presented a slitly off balanced line, putting their Troll along with a few Black Orcs on the left side of the pitch. The Dwarves had left 3 line Dwarves w/o Guard on the line, and D'Neen da'Savvy wanted to take advantage of that fact. The teams commenced blocking, punching, and pushing for a few turns. The Orks slowly, very slowly working the ball towards the sideline and up the left side of the pitch. The Hammererz lived up to their name KOing two Orks w/in the first 3 turns and surfing another into the crowd. Sensing the Dwarves were closing in D'neen da'Savvy lived up to his name by having the blitzer Aaron Pierce blitz his way free from the sideline and move into the middle of the pitch w/2 GFIs, leaving him in position to receive a pass from Eli Manning that was just out of blitz range of the Hammererz. Though he wanted to stall a bit more for his standard strategy of the 2-1 grindout, the Dwarves were having none of it. After a failed dodge by a Trollslayer, Pierce made his own dodge and ran in the ball for a score on turn 5.

Kicking off The Hammererz set up in a very strong position to the left side of their half of the pitch. D'Neen da'Savvy called for his team to take a gamble and kick the ball far to the right. Risking a offsides on the kickoff the Dwarves were slightly out of position as the kick off landed favorably for the green skins. Except a riot occurred moving the turns back, giving the Dwarves a realistic chance of scoring... D'neen da'Savvy gritted his teeth around his cigar, and ordered his team to pressure the Dwarven runner Mjolnyur (The Leagues Leading Passer w/44 SPPs!) hoping to force The Hammererz into a long passing situation. D'neen da'Savvy's plan worked to perfection as the Dwarven thrower fumbled the pass (after a rr!), leaving Pepper Johnson open to blitz off a Dwarven defender, pick up the ball (in a tackle zone!) and dodge out (using a rr) and move away. Though he was still in blitzing position the Ork's positioned themselves admirably forcing The Hammererz to dodge a few times to get within blitzing position. Out of rr's the Dawrves fell sideways on their stunty legs and Pepper Johnson marched into the endzone on Turn 8 for a TD to go up 2-0 at the half.

The second half saw the Orks kicking off with the ball again bouncing the opposite side of the Dwarven formation. Nuffle surely smiled upon the green skinned freaks as on turn 11 Lawrence Taylor sent the Dwarven runner into the crowd, and the ball bounced into a pocket of Orks allowing a loose cage to be formed around Pepper Johnson. The Hammererz were able to GFI into a blitz while knocking out Eli Manning , to knock Pepper Johnson down, but couldn't retrieve the ball. D'neen da'Savvy saw Lawrence Taylor open halfway down the Dwarven pitch and called out for a risky pick up and pass to him. Being up 2-0 he figured getting getting the ball down the pitch, even if failed would be advantageous for The New y'Ork Giants. The ball sailed through the air and LT's drug induced (some sort of white power flour like substance the gobber had seen him wiping off his nose before kick off) vision forced him to bobble the reception and it bounced into the hands of teams monstrous Black Ork... Michael Strahan. Smiling evilly the Ork howled in glee as the Dwarves attempted a blitz and fell off balance on their stunty legs. The rest of the game preceded as Strahan slowly marched down the field, pushing the wee ones out of his way as they approached. Finally walking into the endzone on turn 15. Giving the Dwarves one last turn to attempt to punish the Orks.. Yet not even a dent was made.

Final Score 3-0 in favor of The New y'Ork Giants!

The New y'Ork Giants marched onto the Finals of the Grimfoe Gridiron League to face the undefeated Averlon Starstriders High Elf team.

20. Kolat

Kolat Member

Country Flag:
    My next opponent:

Averlon Starstriders

My current team is in the first post of this thread... Him having a MNG Lineman with Guard will force him to have a Journey Man and only have 11 guys. I feel I have a good chance with this match up currently. Just need to bash him a lot!