1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Should I fire this guy or not?" thread.

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by Dionysian, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Not a skill allocation question, but this still seemed the best place as it's short a question for a thread and I couldn't find the 'Should I fire this dude or not?' quick questions thread.

Over in UKBBL pro elf Guard/Wrestle Catcher now AV6. He's the teams most developed player and our only guard. Anyway I can justify keeping him?

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    One problem solved. :D

And yes, keep him around. Only guard is well worth the troubles, and he pulls attention from your other guys while they skill up.

3. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    One could never accuse the mods here of not being on-the-ball. That was so quick I wasn't sure if I'd even posted successfully :p.

4. Jbecks

Jbecks Member

Cyanide Username:
    jbecks
    Country Flag:
    The biggest issue I had in the OCC was cutting developed players to quick it lead me to having an unbalanced team and a broke bank :D keep him

5. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    I'm really glad I asked before auto-cutting - not the response I was expecting. Will keep for now. Thanks, guys.

6. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    OK so I'm 89% sure I want to keep but niggled block as MA 10 gutter? Also do I play him or just use for one turners?

7. Kaz

Kaz Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kazman29
    Country Flag:
    Good thread idea! I agree with the others - keep. And I have one of my own! My OCC High Elf kicker (only skill) got a -AG. I do have another lino at 5 SPP but I'm running out of linos with any skills. My TV fluctuates between 1850 and 2100 and there are so many orcs, chaos and dorfs! And the treasury is around 250K and spiraling expenses are starting to kick in, especially after a rookie lino and level4 catcher were recently killed.

8. Kaz

Kaz Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kazman29
    Country Flag:
    I'd definitely keep a MA10 gutter, no question. If you need him on defense then go ahead and save the apo for somebody else!

9. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I just don't like the idea of 150 k TV on the bench. One turners don't even come up every game.

10. Dionysian

Country Flag:
    Keep. The 2nd question is likely moot, though. Even if you induce loners and bench him by the 2nd drive of a Rage Cage match he's likely to be on the field.

11. Jbecks

Jbecks Member

Cyanide Username:
    jbecks
    Country Flag:
    when I had a pro elf get his level up he rolled +str and he died 1.5 games later, the next pro elf lineman to level got a niggle in the same game and also rolled +str, by not wishing to offend nuffle I took the +str and he lived longer than the non niggle lineman. And my niggle linemen was a brave elf and went on the line every game! :D

12. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I'd ditch the -AG lineelf.
    He only has kick and dodging is a key part to elven defense.

13. ADD83

ADD83 New Member

Cyanide Username:
    ADD83
    Country Flag:
    Should I fire this beastman? He got a minus 1 movement but his skills are: +str, extra arms, block, dodge, 2 heads.

More of a ball carrier but with 5 movement I don't know if he's worth the team value.

14. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I could see sacking, for TV management, but I could also see keeping, as long as you start fielding him closer to the LOS and have someone else recover deep kicks and deliver to him.

15. Jbecks

Jbecks Member

Cyanide Username:
    jbecks
    Country Flag:
    I thought I had posted this but, maybe not.

My Pro Elf catcher who has the following skills has just rolled a niggle injury;

Block
    Dodge
    Tackle
    Stripball

Is also carrying the following injuries -MA & -AG...I kept him as Im running out of skilled players by fielding loners or rookies with a handfull of skilled players,

keep or does he get to be retired and party with hot chicks :p

16. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Well, Pro Elves fall off the pitch all the time no matter what, no?

So I think the important questions are:

Do you have any replacement for him? A Stripballer and a Tackler (preferably on different players) - if yes you should probably sack him (could wait for when it makes sense treasury- or inducements-wise)

If you do not have a replacement for him - does keeping him make it harder to skill up a replacement? (Is his niggle a liability, or are your other catchers/blitzers so far skilled in other directions that they can't pick up the slack)
    If you can work at skilling up a replacement while having him around, keep him (could wait for it until when it makes sense treasury- or inducements-wise) , else replace him at once.

17. Jbecks

Jbecks Member

Cyanide Username:
    jbecks
    Country Flag:
    well, I never liked risking dodging with him being agi3 even if he had dodge, so I tended to use him more as a safety...and being agi3 the use of stripball is redundant as as I did not like risking a dodge with him.

does mean even more inducements against your walking dead :D

18. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    And a marginally more survivable catcher - given you manage to blodge up the replacement in time. :p

19. HC Vanselow

HC Vanselow Member

Country Flag:
    Milk the productivity of the Pro Elf Catcher until a suitable replacement is leveled up.

20. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    i disagree....i know several (good) coaches have elf teams with niggled players, but i won't carry a niggle around on my team unless it is an EXTREME case...i really can't think of too many players who just plain never get hit. Maybe some elf throwers, but even then, stalling risks everyone on the team even if you long bomb and run next to the endzone. On a catcher, you're even MORE likely to need it, and he's not even going to be an always-screened-2-turn-TD-offense-only catcher either with those injuries.

As someone who plays a lot of bash, whenever i have the option (often after a failed action by the other coach) i will move the ball past the defense, SCREEN the main body of opposing players, and BLITZ the safety so he can't swing around the screen for a 1d....a niggled blitz target is a risky and expensive bit of bait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.