1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Snotballz' Revenge Foundation

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Dalryk, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    EDIT: For reference purposes here's an autoupdating roster image for those who want to be up to date with the Snotballz' progress. But If you're reading this blog for the first time, then I'd ignore it or you'll ruin the surprise :D
    [​IMG]

So it seems to be the done thing around here to crow about how awesome your team is. And given that I'm currently coaching the awesomest team that possibly has ever existed, I feel it's necessary to get in on the action.

I've been a goblin coach for quite a while, and I love the little buggers. They're frustrating as all hell most of the time, with any one of a million different ways to completely self-destruct. But when things are mostly going right, they're a thing of beauty; and when the dice are running hot, they're completely unstoppable!

So without further ado, I would like to present one off the finest goblin squads I've ever had the honour to coach, the Revenge of the Snotballz:

[​IMG]

This is the second Snotball squad I've taken into the OCC, after the original Flaming Snotballz were retired due to crippling injuries on key players. But as you can see from the roster, the current Snotball squad is in pretty good health, and has some pretty sweet level-ups.

And they're out to avenge their fallen brethren!

They're currently sitting in division 3D (along with G20's humans and Lebe666's Orcs), but the ultimate goal is to get into the big leagues of Division 2. Whether or not they can achieve such a lofty goal (for such a diminutive team) remains to be seen...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. Rusty

Rusty Active Member

Country Flag:
    I was hoping you'd write about this team eventually, it can now join the two or three other teams on these forums that I'd really like to coach. Not sure whether to be glad or sad your DUBBL team wasn't this awesome.

3. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    I'm just hoping I can achieve something awesome with this team before it inevitably gets ground into the dirt. It's been a fair bit of work to get them this far (and a lot of luck, obviously), but there's a lot of potential here.

Having one AG4 goblin can make a real difference to a goblin team, but having 2 is even better (if for no other reason than having a backup when the first one gets killed :D). A Dirty Player is an absolute necessity, although he's only a recent addition to the team.

The other goblin of note is Scamperball, who has been there for a while. He spent most of his career as a SS/DT suicide goblin, before miraculously getting to level 4 and picking up Block. Now he can be a real pain in the arse if he can get to a target.

And then of course there's Combustaball. Normally bombadiers are a pretty marginal inclusion on a goblin squad, as their range is limited, their accuracy is atrocious, and they're just as likely to blow up your own team (or himself) as the opposition. But a HMP bomber is a completely different question; unlimited range, can't be intercepted (or thrown back!), and almost impossible to fumble if you've a reroll in hand. He's sooooo much fun to use, even if he misses as often as he hits.

There's plenty of room for improvement of course, particularly the Trolls. But the flip-side is that their TV is amazingly low for what they bring to the table, which of course means lots of tasty Inducements in most games.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  4. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Will indeed follow this blog. If you get in Div2 next season it ll be the first gobbo team to do so, correct?

5. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Good to see this team finally getting a blog! Looks like a very fun team to coach and only needs a couple more skills on the Trolls to be really amazing!

6. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Very nice bombardier. And the fanatic is nice too. As is Lucky, Wrappa, Scamper and Invinci.

The trolls could use some skills, though?

7. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    He'll have to reach Div 1 to be first and best. Svrbb played in Tier 2 a few (read: several) seasons ago.

But given the competition might be harder now that people are more used to goblins, it'll be a great showing just to reach Tier 2.

8. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    They could. Although as I said above (ninja edit'd), having them as rookies helps keep the TV low, and rookie Trolls are actually pretty well placed to do what I need them to do.

The only skill I really need on at least one Troll is Break Tackle, which I have.

But what I really want on my Trolls is Pro. And that obviously means doubles, which I haven't managed yet. And because Trolls are so slow to level, the only way I can try to get it is by recycling the bastards once they hit level 3, which I've been doing.

9. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Yep. And Svr is coming back this season to play in 3C, so we'll be vying with each other to get back into Div 2.

I honestly don't know how he did it myself. But he does have a very well developed Fanatic and Troll, while I've had my lucky levels in other areas :)

10. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    This is a seriously awesome team. Will be following the blog! :D

11. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Neat ! Will follow this team closely... as I´m in 3D as well... :cool:

So HMP Bombardier ? In which recent game did it work so I can see the replay... always wondered about getting a HMP. Jump Up ? Why ?

12. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    Jump up from prone and HMP? its not cheating when you're a gobbo!

13. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Dalryk writes the best Match Reports about Archon's victories!

So happy to see you starting a blog for the Snotballz.

But what happened to the real Snotballz? Who are these pretenders?

Real coaches rebuild rather than reroll.

14. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    If you check the match report against Viajero it worked then.

And Jump Up is because in Cyanide there is a bug allowing you to throw a bomb even if you have stood up, as long as you have the jump up skill. So if you have fumbled the bomb or been blitzed down, you can still stand up and bomb away.

15. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Even without the Cyanide bug, there's not a lot of options on a normal roll. Jump Up also means that if he gets knocked down (and survives) then he can get up and run his full movement to get to safety. Sidestep or Sure Feet were the only other options, and they don't provide a whole lot of benefit either. But yeah, mostly it's the bug ;)

The original Flaming Snotballz were basically broke, both in a monetary and a physical sense. You can call it cheating if you want, but I figured it would be faster and easier to just start a new squad from the bottom where I could build up some xp and cash playing less developed teams.

Goblin teams tend to replace the majority of their roster over a couple of seasons anyway, starting a whole new squad is just being efficient! :D They're still more than capable of stomping elf heads though, don't you worry Ang.

As it turned out, I've been facing 2000+TV squads every season anyway, so there wasn't much difference. But the new Snotballz have come through far healthier than their fallen brothers. And with a sizeable treasury to boot!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  16. Narly Bird

Narly Bird Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Im looking forward to reading your blog Dalryk. And best of luck getting to tier 2. Perhaps with a lot of teams rr’ing to Chaos Edition, you actually stand a chance of getting there. And its super cool to have 2 AG4 Gobs. Now you just need the break tackle Troll to get Pro and you can have a semi reliable toss option.

17. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    The team is in pretty good shape as it stands, but things can always be better :).

The current wishlist for the Snotballz, in order of importance, is as follows:

1. Sure Feet (or better) on Invinciball
    2. Pro on one or both Trolls (might look at Block+Guard for the second one, but definitely Pro first up).
    3. Block on the Fanatic
    4. More +Ag goblins! (and/or an Ag4 pogo ;))
    5. Another SS/DT goblin, preferably with Block as well :D

And of course more doubles rolls on goblins generally, though what I would do with those if I got them depends on the circumstances.

A +St goblin might also be nice, although that might be too much of a TV hit to be worth it at this point.

18. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Looks like the fixtures for S15 are up at last. Thus is the challenge for the Snotballz laid down:

MD1 - Victims of Pleasure (Human) - 1790TV
    MD2 - Fighting Philosophers (Orc) - 2010TV
    MD3 - Star Spanners (Chaos) - 2150TV
    MD4 - Hotel Cali-Florida (Khemri) - 1670TV
    MD5 - A Dance Macabre (Dark Elf) - 1890TV
    MD6 - Pants of Steel (Dwarf) - 1630TV
    MD7 - OrcyPython&theUnholyGrail (Vampire) - 2170TV
    MD8 - Dakamancers (Necro) - 1880TV
    MD9 - Sworn to the Black (Human) - 1960TV

Humans first and last, and a pretty consistent TV level across the board (other than the Khemri and Dwarf).

I expect the Chaos and Dwarf matchups to be the trickiest (and most painful), so having Khemri and Vamps (slightly worse teams) afterwards is good I suppose.

Should be an exciting season whatever happens!

19. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    So, first cab off the ranks is Rover's human squad the Victims of Pleasure:

Blitzer - MB
    Blitzer - Dodge, Guard
    Blitzer - Guard, Tackle, MB -Niggle
    Blitzer -
    Ogre - +St, BT, Guard, SF, -Ag
    Thrower - Block, KOR, Leader
    Thrower - Block, +Ag, +Mv
    Lineman -
    Lineman - Guard, Block
    Lineman - Guard, Dodge
    Lineman -
    Lineman -
    Catcher - Block

3 Rerolls, 1 CL, 1 AC, 9 FF, 1790TV

I must say that I generally like facing Humans. Their usual ying-yang approach (playing counter to their opponent's strength) doesn't really work, because goblins don't have any strengths :D

Strengths and Weaknesses

This human squad is a bit stronger than most, with their St6 Ogre and a bit of extra Guard. It'd probably be a pretty even fight against my standard 3-Troll front line - to gain the advantage he'd have to commit more numbers, which would give me the upper hand elsewhere on the field. That thrower is a potent attacking threat, but I don't really mind if he wants to score quickly and give me the ball back so I can concentrate on the pounding :cool:

On his defence, the Tackle/MB blitzer is the one piece I'm concerned about. And helpfully he comes with a Niggle, so hopefully I can stomp him out of the game early. And he's the only Tackle on the team :D

Inducements

TV difference is currently 370, which is exactly enough for Ripper and 2 Bribes.

But I've got a normal skill still to apply, which will wreck that plan. I could fire and rehire him to get back to neutral, but he can always play silly buggers with his coaching staff, so that could be a complete waste of time regardless.

Probably have to wait and see at this stage, but my preference is to take Ripper wherever I can, so Ripper + 1 Bribe is most likely where I'll end up.

The other option would be a Wizard, 3 Bribes and a Babe (or an extra rostered goblin) - which might be worth giving some more thought as Ripper may struggle against his Ogre. Any human coaches got input on which one they'd least like to go up against?

Diving Tackle was the plan for the skill-up (I need a bit more of it generally), and I can't see any reason not to stick with that.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  20. nufflehatesme

nufflehatesme Member

Country Flag:
    ripper would be my least favourite option. u need to win the bash against humies (or at least control the pitch) to stand a chance and ripper helps the most with that. one bribe to keep the looney in play and you should be sweet

thats my opinion at least. gl! you should have a great chance to go to town on him if the tackler is removed early.