1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Snotballz' Revenge Foundation

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Dalryk, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning. Ripper's pretty much the default option unless there's a really convincing argument otherwise :)

2. lamaros

lamaros Member

Country Flag:
    Nice team.

I must say though, if you're trying to win with goblins I wouldn't use a fanatic or bombadier. They just waste bribes, give you less TV for bribes and the third troll, and cause lots of turnovers.

If Cyanide had the proper star players there is no way I'd ever have them. Just Hire Fungus when you need him. And Nobbla if you have extra money!

Of course, it can be less 'interesting' without them, to be sure.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  3. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Dalryks bombardier is not just any bombardier though :D Hail Mary is just awsome.

The fanatic is a bit iffy but if you manage to get him with MB then its a different story!

4. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    MB is nice, but Block on your Fanatic is where it's at. Extra Mv would be pretty sweet too :D

The original Flaming Snotballz had a Block Fanatic who was a key part of the team's success, and I've been aiming to get another. It makes them much harder to take down, and much less likely to cause blocking turnovers.

The big problem with the star weapons that I can see (never actually had the chance to use them though) is they all come with Loner, which means their odds of catastrophic failure are much higher. Even on the Fanatic, who is the most reliable of the Weapons, you will need the ability to reroll a :skull::bothdown: at some point.

But I can certainly see the logic in doing away with the Fanatic, and especially the Bomber. A rookie bomber is as a much a liability as an asset, and even though he doesn't add much TV, he takes a valuable roster spot that could be used by another goblin reserve. But as Viajero notes, an HMP bomber truly is magnificent and a completely different equation. The only real reason I ran a rostered Bomber at all was to try and get a HMP one, and that's paid off.

The Fanatic is a tougher call though. He's pretty expensive, and completely useless against some opponents. And other opponents have little difficulty in taking him out. But he brings options to your team, and I really like options.

His unique movement rules allow for a lot of interesting applications over and above his raw damage potential. Moving players out of the way, including my own players, has gotten me out of trouble on more than one occasion.

Most coaches are used to defending against a team that can only blitz once, but with a Fanatic you can potentially get 3 or 4 effective 'blitzes'! Admittedly he's a complete lottery, but my usual approach is to throw him at a problem in the first instance, see what happens, and then play the rest of my turn from there. More often than not the playing field has been completely rearranged once he's charged through it, usually to my advantage :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  5. Anglakhel

Anglakhel Member

Country Flag:
    Happy Birthday, Dalryk.

6. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Ang,

I'm still recovering from the whirlwind celebrations, but now it's time to focus on the upcoming game :)

Just watched a replay from last season of Rover's humans up against Tribble's goblins. And I reckon I'm in with a pretty good shot here. Rover seems to like his Ag3 dodges, so I'm definitely going down the DT path with my skill-up.

Game isn't until Monday 20:00GMT, so y'all have to wait a little longer to find out the result.

7. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    good luck :D

8. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    SNOTBALL VICTORY!!!!

A comprehensive 4-2 trouncing of the puny humans, including 2 defensive TDs, see the Snotballz temporarily rocket to equal first place in Div3D.

Taking Ripper and a Bribe as planned, the Snotballz were forced to kickoff, but soon turned the tables on the humans courtesy of a Combustaball special. The bomber missed with his first attempt, but the second throw flew true, taking down the ball carrier and leaving the ball in the open for Wrappaball to dart in and run it downfield. The rest of the team completed the play by setting up an impenetrable screen, allowing Wrappaball (Ag4 Mv7 goblin) to run in the opening score unopposed.

The humans only had themselves to blame though. They opted to try and take out my DT goblin with their blitzer rather than make an opening to advance downfield, which gave my bomber the vital second shot at hitting his mark. Opponents beware - when Combustaball is on the field, you score fast or you may not score at all!

The humans made a better fist of it on the second drive, busting down the side to put a couple of players in scoring range. But they got a bit panicky when Scamperball dodged through their lines to put his Block/DT/SS tacklezone on the ball carrier. The thrower eventually got free, but then fumbled an (unnecessary) pass to leave the ball on the ground in the middle of the field.

Rover probably thought it was pretty safe though, being stuck in 3 TZs, including his Tackler and his Ogre. But Ripper cleared the Tackler out of the way, and then Wrappaball came through with the goods again, making the 4+ pickup on his second attempt and dodging clear with the ball. He got knocked down by a lucky hit from a lineman, but got back up again, got the ball and handed it off to a rookie goblin who ran downfield and scored to make it 2-0 at half time!

Then when Invinciball (other Ag4 gob) made a break for it down the line to score early in the second half and make it 3-0, the game was all over.

I let him get a consolation TD from the next drive, ignoring the ball and trying instead to score a casualty with the Trolls and/or get some fouling points (but failing miserably at both tasks). But then I scored a 1-turn TTM touch down from the next kick-off just to really rub his face in it :D

The last turns of the game consisted of me rolling nothing but :skull: and :bothdown:, which would have been an absolute disaster in any other circumstance. As it was it just meant that he got another TD, and I got no fouling points.

Oh, and he also managed to kill Scamperball, my Block/SS/DT champion. Which is a little sad :(, but on the plus side it frees up another 110TV!

9. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I was hoping you'd gain some TV... :rolleyes:

Congrats on the win... time to lose now ! :D

10. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Indeed it is time for you to lose Lebe. The Snotballz are on a rampage and your Orcs are next in their sights!

11. G20

G20 Member

Country Flag:
    Nice victory! Feel free to win all your matches in this fashion until the last match day!! :D

12. Boffa

Boffa Active Member

Country Flag:
    Grats Dairyk! Go Gobs!

13. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Snotballz! Snotballz! Snotballz!

Hallowed be Scamperball's name and let his sacrifice not be forgotten. Time to stomp some Orks in his honor, Dalryk. Sorry, Lebe, but it's impossible not to root for the gobs in such a matchup ;)

14. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the support everyone. And thanks to Barmution for his rousing homily for our dearly departed Snotball. Truly he was a king among goblins.

But with the lovie dovie crap out of the way, let's get back to business: It's going to be a quick turnaround for the Snotballz, with MD2 against Lebe666's Fighting Philosophers in slightly over 24hours time.

And since Lebe can't be assed putting an up-to-date roster up in his own thread, I'll have to do it for him:

Blorc - Block, Guard
    Blorc - Block, Dodge +St
    Blorc - Block
    Blorc - Block, Guard
    Blitzer - Stand Firm
    Blitzer - Tackle, DT, Stand Firm
    Blitzer - Tackle, Stand Firm, Guard, MB
    Blitzer - Tackle, MB, PO, JU
    Thrower - Block
    Thrower - Strong Arm, Accurate, KOR
    Lineorc - Wrestle
    Lineorc - Block, Guard
    Lineorc - Wrestle, Tackle
    Lineorc -

4 RR, 1 AC, 1 CL, 5 FF, 2000TV

Strengths and Weaknesses

Jeez Louise, I think I'm up against it with this lot. Well-developed Black Orcs, Tackle all over the place, and a full squad of 14 players means I'm unlikely to get a numbers advantage. Their only weakness is a lack of genuine ball handling options, but that won't matter if he gets the ball into a cage and grinds it downfield.

No doubt Lebe is watching this thread with interest, so I won't regale you with my detailed gameplan, but suffice to say I'm going to need a lot of luck to come out victorious here methinks.

Inducements

With Scamperball biting the dust last game, the TV difference blows out to a massive 670TV. That's not quite enough to pick up the Ripper + Morg combo (which might otherwise give me fighting chance against these brutes), but it gives me a lot of options nonetheless.

If I cared about my goblins' safety I'd no doubt be tempted to take an extra apo or two. But of course, all goblins are there to die, so no doubt I'll go for all out offence instead. Again though, don't want to give away too much with the enemy listening in ;)

15. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    My Roster is up to date... on the 1st page ! :mad: Lazy Gobbo !

Now keep on... talk about your tactics... :cool:

16. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    My gameplan is roughly as follows:

1. Get ball
    2. ?????
    3. Victory!

17. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Go go snotballz (sorry Lebe)!! :p

You going to broadcast this one Dalryk?

The fans are all eager to see another Combustaball special blowing the Orc cage to smithereens! :D

18. Lebe666

Country Flag:
    My plan is

1. Hurt Gobbos
    2. Hurt Star Player
    1.5. Hurt more Gobbos
    3. ???
    4. Victory !

Edit: 3.5 is Get ball !

19. G20

G20 Member

Country Flag:
    Did you try to apothecate Scamperball, or was he considered expendaball (omglolbrb)?

20. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    I find your pun laudaball.