1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Snotballz' Revenge Foundation

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Dalryk, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    For any readers that might not have worked it out, the game against the Undead resulted in Snotball Victory!

After the first game bugged out and had to be reset, the Snotballz won the toss and setup to receive. And things instantly turned to crap with a Blitz result giving the Ghouls Gone Wild a chance to steal the ball.

A lone goblin was standing on the right flank in the square where the ball was to land, so the Ghouls tried to knock him down and out of the way. A :bothdown: result from their star Wight saw the goblin flattened, but he stubbornly remained on the pitch, and the ball ultimately bounced off his prone form and into the open!

The Snotballz managed to recover possession fairly easily, and it also left a large chunk of Ghouls' personnel committed on the right flank. That made it a relatively trivial task for the Fanatic to open a path down the left, and the Chainsaw burst through it to take down the St4 Ghoul who was sweeping in the backfield.

The path to the line was clear, and Untouchaball charged forward with the ball, screened by a trailing line of goblins. They tried to protect the chainsaw as well, but that required a few dodges which didn't pan out. :eek: So it was no surprise when the dangerous Wight, unable to get to the ball carrier, decided to hit the chainsaw instead.

It was a surprise however when said hit resulted in the Looney's chainsaw lodging firmly in his own throat, killing him outright. :eek:

Undeterred, the Snotballz set up a defensive formation around Untouchaball in the corner, hoping to repel the Undead horde for a few turns at least. But what they didn't count on was the killer Wight thinking he was some kind of elf, and trying to dodge through 2 tacklezones (and then some) to get at the ball. :rolleyes:

As it turns out though, Wights aren't Elfs, and the daring move ended in tragedy with the wight stretchered from the field. Regeneration didn't help him, and suddenly the Ghouls had lost their most dangerous player, entirely self-inflicted. :D

The Snotballz had a pretty easy task of holding on to the ball after that, and managed to stall out the entire half. But it almost cost them a Troll, with the Ghouls electing to gang-foul instead of threaten possession. After some deliberation though, the apothecary stepped in to repair the damage, and the Snotballz went into the 2nd half with a full line-up (other than the dead Looney :()

Half time score 1-0 to the Snotballz.

Second half saw a small riot run some time down on the clock at the kick-off, followed by a deep kick which the Ghouls collected and took right back to the endzone. The Snotballz tried to send some goblins around to screen off and isolate the ball carrier, but Untouchaball tripped on his own feet trying to go the distance, leaving a clear path up the middle for the ball to advance.

The Ghouls had a fairly safe opportunity to bring the ball forward and cage up in the middle of the field. Instead, they decided to be a bit more aggressive: A number of players pushed forward to isolate the Fanatic and ultimately bring him down, leaving the Snotball defence in ruins on the left flank.

But it also left the Ghouls' centre exposed. So when their ball carrier tripped on his own feet trying to make the hand-off, the ball was right where the Snotballz could get at it. One Troll block and one goblin blitz later, Untouchaball was free to get to his feet, get the unmarked ball, and get to safety behind a screen of goblins - with no-one between him and the endzone!

The Ghouls weren't going to catch him from there, and pretty soon it was 2-0 with a mere 4 turns remaining.

Both teams were running out of players at this point, which probably helped the Ghouls more than the Snotballz. But it didn't really matter in the end, as the Ghouls seemed to have become completely demoralised, and unable to execute even basic tasks like picking up the ball. They did manage to foul out one of the Trolls (no permanent damage), but couldn't get the ball anywhere near the end zone.

So 2 - 0 it stayed. Glorious Snotball Victory.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  2. Miicr0

Miicr0 Member

Cyanide Username:
    Miicr0
    Country Flag:
    YES!

Go Snotballz!

3. Remthar

Remthar Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Nice one Dalryk, grats!

4. Altashheth

Altashheth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I love a snotball victory

5. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:

Aaaaand then it happened.

Admittedly, I'm not sure how I was going to beat the Wood Elfs even if the dice went well. In addition to their Wardancers with Tackle + Strip Ball, the Super Vixens had another Ag5 leaping Wrestler, and an Ag6(!) Ma9 ball retriever.

With a grand total of zero Diving Tackle on my side of the fence, I was always going to struggle.

But I did my best. Extractaball was the primary ball carrier, meaning that when the Strip Ball came in, I was at least able to control where it went. So the Elves didn't just take the ball straight off me the first time.

No, it took them a whole TWO turns to steal, right after the Chainsaw burned a reroll on a 1, then failed to break the Wardancer's armour (5+ needed), and then the back-up-plan-block came up with :skull::skull:. :rolleyes:

Then the next turn the Elves made 3 blocks that resulted in 3 goblin casualties. And another one the next turn. Then they scored. And all their KOs came back (I had caused no casualties). :(

So the following kickoff saw me forced to field the Bomber as I was out of reserves. And I decided to chance my arm and chuck it at a pile of elfs.

Bomb went scatter, :eek: landed on the Treeman, :) red cross appeared above his head :D..... Netsync Error. :mad: AGAIN.

We didn't have time to replay, and my opponent is unable to reschedule, so looks like an admin result is inevitable. I'd really like a draw, but more than likely I was about to get pantsed, so I've offered him the win.

6. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Damn your noble soul. :eek:

7. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Ha!

It's not as completely self-sacrificing as it sounds.;)

Even if I get the loss, I'll still be equal 2nd place, just behind the Clown Dwarfs on TD difference. And the other teams are only 1 point behind that, so realistically a draw doesn't improve my position substantially.

The only difference between a draw and a loss is that I would maintain one point and a TD advantage over the Chorfs. And since I have to play them in the last round, that doesn't mean a lot.

Basically, in either situation I need to win the last 2 games to go through to Div1. If I lose or draw, then someone is going to overtake me. Maybe if I get a draw against the dwarves then the extra point might make a difference, but probably not.

And to be brutally honest; had that game continued, I suspect I would have been beaten by quite a substantial margin. So maybe a 2-0 admin loss is the best result in the circumstances! :p

8. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    And no risk for any pesky SPP to give you skillups that might lower your inducements. Hmm.. a cunning plan indeed.

9. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Muahahahahahaha!!! Even when being good sports the Snotballz are really just trying to cheat the system... :D

10. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Curses!! My cunning plan has been rooned!! (that's Australian for "ruined", just in case you can't decipher the local dialect ;))

Well, maybe not completely rooned. But Vedholm never responded to my offer, and so now it seems our game has been adminned to a draw. :eek:

And that leaves things very precariously placed, like so:

[​IMG]

As you can see, there's really only 4 teams that are still in contention. Bebeto is a nose out in front, the Snotballz are sitting in second, with Zgagor and Worgaz nipping close at their heels.

And the remaining matches are as follows:

[​IMG]

Mathematically there are lots of possible permutations, but the likely outcome is that most of the contenders will win their games against the lower-placed teams. So the final outcome for the Snotballz will ultimately fall to their own performance. 2 wins will guarantee a Tier 1 berth, anything less will probably result in failure.

At least it's an easy equation! ;)

11. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Clearly pro-gob divisional managers, since that move dropped Vedholm from the competition. Now make this work. :p

12. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I take it that TYS is playing only as replacement, then? Because the cumulative points of E.L.F. and Pet Shop Ballz would put him into range of a top 2 spot still, too.

13. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    ELF would indeed be contenders if they had the points of the team they replaced. But they don't, so they're not. :p

But I still have to play them!!

[​IMG]

Strengths and Weaknesses

This team isn't nearly as scary as the Welf team that I didn't have to face. Particularly since their most goblin-unfriendly player is going to be injured.

In fact, with that Blitzer out of the picture, it only leaves them with 1 Tackle player. And really even precious little Block.

Of course they have still got plenty of scoring potential. And the remaining Blitzer, with Ag5 and Leap, will still be a threat. But overall, I have to say I like my chances.

Inducements

The biggest challenge in this match is the limited inducements that I have to play with. With the adminned game, the Snotballz retain a full 16-player roster, which gives us a starting TV-difference of 280.

Given the lack of hurting potential on the elf side, I don't think Ripper is going to provide the best value for money in this case. So I think I should go for a Bribe + Wizard setup instead.

To do that ideally I'd want a 300 difference, and I haven't got any staff to get rid of. I can still fire my actual players though. And with a full roster of 16, I figure I can afford to lose one without impacting things too much.

So drop one goblin, pick up some support staff for the hell of it, and make it an even 300. ;)

Game on bitches (at 10:00GMT on Saturday). Only Snotballz Victory will be accepted!

14. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    I will need to remember to give this game a watch tomorrow as that is good viewing time again.

Best of luck, would love to see Snotballz get to the top, but even if they don't at least you should stay in Div 2.

15. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Or you could replace the fanatic with a gumby, getting to have 16 players and one less bribe-sucker in an undoubtedly fast game ..

16. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Nah, the Fanatic is a valuable piece for my offence, particularly against weaker opponents.

He's not likely to cause a lot of damage, but he will form the anchor of any offensive drive; keeping the cage moving and clearing space for the rest of the team to move into. Having a 16th gumby is of little value by comparison. ;)

17. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Gratz Dalryk, was a great game to watch and a good result.

18. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    A pleasure to watch, Go Snotballz!

19. Moncap

Moncap Member

Country Flag:
    Congrats Dalryk, a masterful performance :)

The final game is gonna be like a cup final.

20. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Wow - that has ripped the heart out of a BBATTL major winning side.

Go snots!