1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Snotballz' Revenge Foundation

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Dalryk, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Remthar

Remthar Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Nice one Dalryk, caught the end of the match. Grats to the mighty Snotballz!

2. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Thanks man. I just can't believe the dice keep going my way.

I think that I played pretty well to recover in the first half from their Blitz result on the kick-off. But a lot of it was poor dice from the elfs, and that crucial casualty from the Chainsaw taking out his Ag5 Blitzer.

I'll see if I can do a proper write-up tomorrow. And then it's on to the strategising for the match to end all matches....

3. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Fun thing - if Zgagor loses MD8 and Worgaz doesn't win his, your only MD9 strategy will be about keeping your most valuable players alive. :D

4. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Well, it looks like Worgaz just lost!

So it's just me and the Chorfs now (assuming they win this round). Even a draw will get me there.

EDIT: just checked the match day thread - looks like the Chorfs are getting an admin win this round. So no default victory for me. :p

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  5. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    Ttm ftw!

Go get em.

6. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Before we dive in to the Snotballz' final opponents, lets have a quick review of where the goblins stand.

[​IMG]

Selectaball picked up the MVP from the last game and got to level 2, then went and rolled a bloody normal roll. :mad: If ever a double would have been appreciated, it was now. But noooooooo.

So anyway, he's almost certainly going to be cut.

And the rest of the squad is much as it was. Untouchaball and Extractaball are pushing for their next levels, Deflectaball and Forgetaball keep on keeping on, and everyone else is a gumby.

7. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    How are inducements looking? If it'd be worth saving him as a jump up or second sneaky git for the rare moments a chorf is grounded.

8. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    This is it, Snotball fans. The biggest game of the Snotballz' illustrious career.

The equation is simple: victory or a draw will see the Snotballz advance to Tier 1 of the OCC. Defeat will see them fail.

And this is who they've got to beat:

[​IMG]

Strengths and Weaknesses

The good news is that this is not an impossible task. The Chorfs can be beaten.

But it's going to be damn hard.

Aside from the inherent challenge of facing Dwarfs, the Brethen bring the added challenge of two very impressive Bull Centaurs; an Ma8 Blodger and a St5 Frenzy piece. They are going to be hard to take down, hard to contain, and impossible to ignore. The only saving grace is that they remain Ag2, so they aren't going to be awesome as ball players.

That said, with 4 rerolls they'll still succeed 75% of the time, which isn't bad odds by any measure.

And of course they've always got that Ag4 Hobgoblin as a back-up plan. :rolleyes:

The main weakness of the team is that the Dwarves themselves aren't that fabulous. Two of them are rookies, and two are fairly innocuous even with Guard/MB/Stand Firm. The main threats are going to come from the annoying one with the Tail, and the crippled one with the Claw.

Even with St2, Dauntless means he is still a threat to my Trolls, albeit a slightly unreliable one. I'll certainly feel a lot safer if I can somehow remove him from the field.

Inducements

This is where I've got some hard decisions to make. The starting difference is 640TV, which means if I fire my (60TV) Bomber it will be exactly 700. And that is just enough to get Ripper and Morg.

With just the one Claw, the Ripper and Morg combo could be a game winner, although even then it would be a pretty close fight with his Mino and the Centaurs. And if I lose either of them for whatever reason, I won't have anything much as a back-up plan without any Bribes.

So the other option is to go for Ripper+Bribes+Wizard, which leaves 70TV plus cuts to work with. A Babe is all I could afford as a base, which is kind of worthless, so I have to be a bit more creative to get maximum value for money.

The best plan I can see for the second option is to fire the Bomber (60), and fire my 2 staff(20) to make the remainder 150... and get Scrappa. The idea there is primarily to get a second fouler, although Scrappa's mobility might help somewhere as well. But fouls are my main chance of hurting his Av9 pieces, so having 2 Dirty Players could make all the difference.

It's a stupidly expensive way to get 2 DPs, but what else am I going to do with the cash??

I guess a dual-bomber attack is also an option, but really, I feel like this game is too important to leave it up to the vagaries of bomb-throwing. ;)

9. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Oh, forgot to mention. The game is scheduled for 10:00GMT on Saturday. Any and all spectators welcome. :)

10. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    Should be good, I will aim to be there and cheer you on.

Best of luck to you, you are going to need it I think.

11. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    All the best Dalryk

12. coachman

coachman Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    bjj hero
    Country Flag:
    I was hoping for an evening match so I could watch. Give em hell D.

13. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Breaking news: The division leader just lost their last game, which means if the Snotballz win this game, they'll actually jump into 1st place. :rolleyes:

Like I needed any more pressure. :p

I've also been tossing up whether or not to take a bomber into this last match. I've definitely got to fire the current one, to clear up some TV. But I could swap a gumby goblin with a new rookie bomber without affecting the total value.

The question is which do I need more; a reliable body or a defensive threat?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  14. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    You said earlier that bomber antics weren't going to help you, and without bribes you got other players getting sent off quickly as well?

15. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    How reliable a body is a unskilled goblin against Chorfs?

And as you only need a draw. I would def. go the the wizard route.

16. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    I think I've more or less decided to go with the Ripper+Wizard+Bribes+Scrappa route. Which is a full 16 player lineup.

But that still gives me the flexibility to swap a goblin for a bombardier as they're both 40k. The question is whether it's worth doing.

Particularly if I have to kick first, I've been thinking about how I would approach my defence.

Without a bomber, I'd probably look to pick off vulnerable players, and maybe engineer a steal with the Wizard. But mostly I'd just be trying to minimise any losses and hoping for a 1TTD response, or just playing for the 1-1 draw in the second half.

With a bomber I could try a more aggressive approach, which might force an early score if nothing else. But it could also backfire and get my players killed, which would put me solidly on the road to defeat.

17. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I've found that as long as you recognize the bombardier popup (anything higher than 1 is good, not matter what they tell you) your little buddy can fling bombs pretty far rather reliably. (as in, not dropping them on his foot). So it's a lot about "do I have the rerolls to spare to make him work for the turns he'll be getting" (and scattering back to your own team, which is more of a problem with opponents who seek contact)

18. skullashtray

skullashtray Active Member

Country Flag:
    Im a snotzballz groupie!! Go dalryk I'm rooting for you

19. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    With my Underworld, I like Dribble mostly for the fact that he will draw the opponent out of his defense (or cage on offense) to deal with him. As Underworld, I can capitalize on that, I'm not sure how much that is true for Goblins.

But in the end, in a match against Chaos Dwarves, a Bombardier ist basically the same as a regular Goblin, because Dodge hardly ever comes into play. If you use him aggressively, you might be spared the decision of whether you want to use a bribe on him anyway :p And who knows, he might make something happen!

20. skullashtray

skullashtray Active Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah root as in cheering for a team. Ken??