1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Subterranean Stadium

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Werebat, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Werebat

Werebat Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Werebat
    Country Flag:
    I know what you're thinking, but this is NOT about my Underworld team!

I spent the weekend at an indoor water park, where a fellow D&D player's sons
    celebrated their sixth birthday. At one point, I went to the bar to get a
    couple of margaritas for myself and the wife, and while I was waiting for our drinks
    I saw the first couple of minutes of what looked like some kind of documentary.

Something told me that this was a film I'd like to watch in its entirety.

That night I looked and sure enough, it was available for free online, and I
    watched it. I was not disappointed.

"The Subterranean Stadium" isn't about Blood Bowl, or D&D, but it might as well
    be.

It's about something called electric football, which I've never heard of before (and I'm an American).
    But I don't think it's so much the game itself that matters.

Do yourself a favor and set aside the twenty minutes or so it takes to watch
    this documentary. It's got a lot of heart. I'm sending it out to all of my
    gaming friends. I think you'll get why if you watch it.

The hot dog vendor, the ex-con, the veteran -- these guys are different from us,
    but there's something familiar about them, and what they do. Real familiar.

Here's the vid:

The Subterranean Stadium

I'm sure this will resonate with any of you who have ever participated in a league, whether online or in person.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I watched that film a couple of weeks ago, well worth it.

One thing I've always wondered about is that there seems to be a lot of vets in the NA blood bowl scene which is not something I'm used to from Europe (ok there's less vets around in the EU period but still). Anyone know or have any theories about why ex military peeps seem to like geeky board games so much?

3. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    They play plenty of RPG:s as well.

Presumably because they relocate plenty between bases where they spend many evenings without any family but liberal access to friends (and maybe with some rules against boozing?)

And then the hobby sometimes sticks?

4. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    I enjoyed it. :) And to an extent I also felt that I hope I am still playing games when I am 60+... with or without friends (i am a bit of a loner really, but I still do enjoy playing games with friends/others... as long as I can play games alone as well atleast, I need that "alone time" too you know :p).

As for the Veteran thing that Trav and Niko mentioned in their posts, about them playing games etc. I think your looking at it from a slightly wrong angle. I think the way one should look at it is from the perspective of that gamers are just as likelly to join up and become soldiers as any other person is.

Granted, some might not have become gamers until during or after they where in the military, and possably due to having been in the military (with meeting a large diverse amount of people). But again I would look at it as "some people become gamers", rather than "a lot of vets are/become gamers".

I know for a fact (since she has told me), for example, that my mother was highly surpriced when she found out that I had decided to do my military service, and again 2 years later when she found out that my younger brother decided not to do his. (At the time it was semi-mandatory... but it was possible to get out of it if you really did not want to do it... my brother did so by claiming he was afraid of guns, which was not true at all. :p) Because she was sure it would have been the other way around. Thinking I was not going to do it due to me being by that time a gamer in everything from console games, to board and pnp rpg'er and what not (PC had not come into the picture for me yet at that time), being a reader with fantasy books and comics etc, not to mention my "nature" being very calm, cool, collected, and in general not showing any kind of "agressive" nature at all... and the most athletic thing I really did was that I did play Innebandy/Floorball with my friends roughly 1 time a week, and more during the part of the year we where part of an amature tournament thing (Korpen for the ones who are Swedish)... I became, was, and still am, basically an indoor kind of a person really. Where as my brother was more of an outdoors kind of a person during his youth with his hobbies with some skateboarding/rollerblading, ut more so going around on his BMX (including tricks, jumping, ramps and half-pipes etc), but also driving his moped, tinkering with it and his bike plus help my dad tinker and fix his cars etc, and to some extent geting into "trouble" and what not... plus he is both taller (not that I am short or anything... I am 1.83m/6 foot tall after all), stronger, and to some extent more athletical then me as well (although, I think I ran faster then he ever did). So due to this she has asumed that I would not do my military service, and that my brother would do his.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  5. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Might be there's just a lot of vets in NA, but to me the numbers still seem high, I think I know about 10 blood bowlers who are/have been in the military out of the 120 or so blood bowlers I know. That's not that high, but then when you think that almost all of those 10 are NA and I only about half the blood bowlers I know are NA it becomes high.