1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Unluckys

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by LoopH0LE, Apr 10, 2013.

1. LoopH0LE

LoopH0LE Member

Country Flag:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  2. Tyriok

Tyriok Member

Country Flag:
    Great team blog! Good luck with your next game against goblins!

3. LoopH0LE

LoopH0LE Member

Country Flag:
    A shiver goes down my spine after hearing the triumphant howl that ends our game. It’s from my own team so I shouldn’t be the one shivering, but I have as much fear of them as I do respect. The rag-tag team comes tromping back to the locker room ecstatic with their first Crunch Cup victory – breaking mirrors and walking under ladders as they go. They even have a new zombie in tow. Screeform Cutter of the Skavenblight 13 got crossed by Black Cat this game, and it’s meant an end to life as he knew it. There isn’t a place for him on the team right now though, so the team tosses salt over their shoulders at him as a send-off, and he goes to tour the circuit as cannon fodder for hire. It’s bad luck at its finest, and it’s what we’re all about.

We’re The Unluckys, a team comprised of a hodge-podge of people who had horrible luck in their past lives, and are looking to reverse it in their afterlives. It may be asking Nuffle for it to call the team that, but these guys are all dedicated to putting their lives on the line for the luck of their teammates. There’s a mutual understanding of what it means to be unlucky, so taking it as a banner emboldens them. They’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I think back to the team building in the Crunch Them All League and just how far the team has grown. We had a below-average pre-season at 1-2-3, but it did give us enough mettle to seat us in the fifth division out of ten. This was a bit of a shock, but with only three definite spots in the play-offs, we all know exactly what’s cut out for us to do.

Out of the corner of my eye I see the two ghouls cackling to each other. Gravedigger is getting ready to fulfill his former job title and build a memorial grave to Cutter’s rat past. Gravedigger’s been my go-to for the ball since the beginning, and he’s gotten better at getting it and then protecting it. Black Cat, on the other hand, lost one of her nine lives during the pre-season. Just before she was able to rank up, too. She bears the brunt of the team’s unluck by wearing the number thirteen, and it makes me worried. The kill and the TD she got this game put her at a great place to get her some blocking skills after the next game though, so I can’t wait to keep her safer from any more lives lost.

Cat’s first death actually set us back in another way in that we haven’t been able to complete another of the team’s pairs. #5 Scraps the Werewolf has been pining for his partner-in-crime. He has been terrific in getting people off of the pitch, so it makes me excited that we’ll be able to afford his other half after the next game. They were a daring duo of smugglers until they were turned into Werewolves, so you can tell Scraps is itching to get her on the field. Or maybe that’s just fleas. I can never tell.

The sound of a rattle brings a smile to my face as I turn to see #10 Bone Daddy and #11 Snake Eyes. These Wights are the smartest guys on the team, and the ones with the biggest hearts (if they had hearts). Snake Eyes has been hogging the SPP a little, and is really good at looking out for the team and taking down the more weasel-y opponents. There’s no animosity between the two of them though. As former gamblers they both know how quickly the odds can turn in your favor. We start discussing strategy for the next game, which is against Street’s Propo Gobbos. We’re fairly certain the Gobbos are going to play dirty with plenty of secret weapons. Even though these guys are a tough bunch, there is always the possibility of injury. So, we’ll really be looking to the line to protect so that we can do some hunting of our own.

Speaking of which, our line is doing a great job at becoming more battle-savvy. The five zombies are even starting to become more than meat-shields. These guys have been together for all of their lives and afterlives. They worked hard every day of their lives to be able to survive, so death was almost a relief. You can imagine how grumpy they were when I first recruited them. Now that they realized they’re fighting for each other, they really love being on the pitch and are getting better at giving and taking a punch. They’ve even adopted the nicknames of the potion ingredients the Necromancer used to revive them.

I got a little lost in thought, so it wasn’t until I was several feet in the air that I realized what was happening. #7 Iggy and #8 Boots our Flesh Golems had come over for their victory hug. Luckily, I had prepared for this and had put on some armor before the match ended. To my surprise though, the armor quickly cracked. Turns out all the beatings Boots was giving out gave him a proper work out, and some real muscle. On the other hand (they often trade them in between games), Iggy has always been super dependable when he blocks the way for the ball carrier.

After the rest of the team pulls Boots and Iggy off, we head to the local pub for a well deserved victory feast. But don’t let our team’s affection for each other fool you. We’ve got nothing but determination to beat our luck, and maybe even give our opponents some bad luck. So, watch your back. Or you may find yourself on the team.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  4. LoopH0LE

LoopH0LE Member

Country Flag:
    I came back to the locker room in a cold sweat. I’m sure the rest of the team would be too, if they could sweat. We had just played a roller coaster of a match against Street’s Propo Gobbos.

They elected to kick in the first half, which meant that their fanatic was being hauled out right off the bat. Street had already fouled one of my Zombies off, so I wanted to get the Fanatic off as quickly as possible to keep it more even. I took the risk and had Boots, newly buffed, take a 1D swing at him. This netted me double skulls, a squandered reroll, and a downed Golem. Not a good start.

It took a sharp, careening turn for the worse when they fouled Snake Eyes, our only guy with tackle, into the ground. And, for a split-second, I could swear he wasn’t ever getting up again. It nearly gave me a heart attack, and I don’t have regen! It took the wind out of the whole team, especially since we hadn’t spilled any Goblin Blood. The whole team pressed forward to get the ball, but the Gobbos responded with a brilliant hand-off chain, which ended in a Goblin safely at the endzone, with all our guys tied up.

Just before the little guy could bring it in though, Street decided to have his Looney tear into us one last time with his chainsaw. Nuffle despises that sort of thing though, and the chainsaw practically exploded in his hands, leaving the Gobbo and the ball stranded just before halftime. What was going to be a tie or a loss had suddenly been wiped clean, and Boots celebrated by smashing the Gobbo’s bombardier.

We were very wary at the start of the second half, especially since the Gobbos had plenty of bribes to keep their secret weapons on the field. The name of the game then was cage, cage, cage. Starting way back in our own half, Black Cat caged up and let the rest of the guys engaged on the front lines. The Looney Grubitz tore into another of our Zombies, and they finally struck back, nearly killing the blasted Looney (if it weren’t for that damned apothecary).
    This opened up the path nicely to invade their half and safely cage up. The Gobbos wouldn’t have that though, and started kamikaze blitzing the ball carrier, and actually succeeding in knocking the ball away several times. I would’ve loved to give the SPP to Black Cat, but Gravedigger’s sure hands really saved us. After one troll ate one of the Goblins, and Boots managed to stun the other, I considered stalling out the last two turns. But, I knew what kind of mood Nuffle was in, and had Gravedigger run in the touchdown.

This left the Gobbos with two whole turns to try to fling some poor soul downfield. Their first attempt was thwarted by a Troll completely forgetting the plan. I realized it would be much easier to take care of the Trolls than it would be covering all the Goblins, and managed to get one down. The other Troll managed to break tackle, grab the Goblin, and was poised to tie up the game. But, he must’ve gotten too excited because he practically juiced the poor bugger by squeezing too hard.

I really couldn’t believe that we had won, but I’m certainly not complaining. And, even though we didn’t get any level ups, it was all worth because we can welcome our second Werewolf, Jinx, onto the team. Next week we’re up against Netsmurf’s undefeated Rats are Back in Town, so we’re definitely going to need the muscle.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  5. Dalryk

Dalryk Member

Steam Username:
    Dalryk
    Cyanide Username:
    Dalryk
    Country Flag:
    Very poor gobbo play. In fact, pretty poor play all round.

NEVER put at risk a guaranteed end of half TD!

6. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    QFT.

I risked a TD in a match against Barristan's Dark Elves last Crunch Cup and my 2d greed block came up quad skulls... Learning the hard way, for sure.

7. raikaria

raikaria Member

Country Flag:
    I've had it happen to me too. Nuffle appears to despise those who decide to bash and hope for some pitch clearing instead of scoring on Turn 8.

8. LoopH0LE

LoopH0LE Member

Country Flag:
    Hoo boy. Crazy match that I'm over the moon to have won. I'll do an "in character" write-up later, but I just wanted to say that The Unluckys have moved to the top of Division 5!

[​IMG]

9. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    They sure dont live up to their name:p

10. LoopH0LE

LoopH0LE Member

Country Flag:
    Another tight, tight game sees the Unluckys on top! We've now got 13 points total, which is a really nice number. Mordachai had me really worried the entire match, but a few lucky rolls on my part edged us out.

[​IMG]

11. Mordachai

Mordachai Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Mordachai
    Country Flag:
    Hmm, the BBM is wrong in one aspect I see... You were kicking first half.

I am sad that I couldn't edge out a draw or win there... looked so good when sacked your BC at the end of the match.

Thanks for the game either way!

12. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    I am pretty sure I have noticed BBM being wrong on who kicks off in all the reports for my CC games as well.

13. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Wrong how? BBM log says "choose to kick" under the Unluckys. That means they are kicking, no? And you said they were kicking..?

14. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    The picture report posted here shows the ChD as kickers.

15. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Aah. Is it always wrong, or just always kicker icon to the left?

16. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Well spotted, seems the kicker icon is always on the left.

17. LoopH0LE

LoopH0LE Member

Country Flag:
    Time to revive these bags of bones! I can't wait to play this team again, especially against the now more familiar coaches.

Even now I can remember a lot of rookie mistakes with this team. It seems like ages ago, and I'm shocked to have done as well as I did with the way I played them. Having played a lot more of the game now, though, and having time with Undead under my belt, I feel confident I can utilize this team to their fullest. What can I say? I'm a dead coach at heart. I guess you could say that I'm dead inside?... That doesn't sound quite right.

The team definitely has some weaknesses that need addressing, so my goals for this CC are:

1) Great googly moogly, where's the Guard?!
    The team's biggest pitfall right now is their lack of Guard -- #11 Snake Eye(s) got reset from a -ST injury last season, leaving the team without any Guard. (I also jumped and gave the other Wight MB instead of Guard by mistake). So, hopefully we won't run into stronger teams for a while and can get Guarded up. Guard on the FGs would be icing on the cake, but who knows when that'll happen.​

2) Piece protection

There's two pieces crying out for Block right now -- my WW with MB and no Block, and my ST5 FG. The FG will level up whenever it happens, but I think Jinx will be the go-to for touchdowns until she levels up. After that Dodge for both of the WW would be dandy as well. One of the things I realized is how poorly I used my pups, so I want to see them tear up the field! ​

3) Money in the Baaank

I've been pretty horrible in regards to my reserves considering this is a dead team, so I'd love to build up a bank again. I mean, that will depend on piece survivability, so I'm offering up my finest lambs as sacrifice to Nuffle now.​

I'll post my thoughts on my division once they've been seeded. And, who knows, maybe I'll have more fluff for these guys too -- ran out of interest and steam last season.

So, we're at 13 players (a great number) and 1590 TV. I can axe a Zombie if need be, but I doubt I'll need to do that before seeding. We're also one of the 6 potential Necro teams in the upcoming CC, so we'll be doing our best to represent! (Normally the fact that it's a popular team would get me to reconsider, but I miss this team too much).

Also, how do I change the thumbnail for this thread? Can't seem to find that option.

18. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    MB wolf usually gets tackle before dodge, you want a piece with maximum possible odds of rolling that 8+ armor roll. If you hit a wardancer, for example, even with 2d -> 2d, its only roughly a 50% chance to knockdown without tackle...over 75% chance with tackle.

the lack of guard is gonna cost you big at 1590 TV. Just about any team you face will have some guard, be stronger than you, or both. Those rare few with no guard will be fully blodged!

19. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    haha my ukbbl scribble is called... A Dead good Coach ;)

You have some really great skills on this side though I do feel your CC will really depend on where your seeded due to lacking various essential skills you will be better off topping the tv for your group rather than the reverse. This should hopefully enable you to get those needed skills before running into trouble.

crimsonsun

20. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    No Tackle before protection skills. You're going to need Block, because a downed Wolf doesn't go where he wants to, in fact he might not be going anywhere. Additionally no Block means 1/9 for each thrown block for an RR or turnover on 2D and your odds for having to frenzy into a 1d or an even worse situation (having to dodge away from danger wo Dodge) will be a lot higher. It's really unreasonable to do such an aggressive build when you know that Necro's main problem is what happens to them when they're down a Wolf or two.

Agreeing on the Guard part, tho.