Tactics Thoughts on a 'do-si-do' tactic

Olber

Veteran
Country Flag
Hi Coaches

I'm thinking out advances for my Chaos Dwarf-based Engineers team. With all that S access on the line of scrimmage I've been thinking about going for Grab on all my blockers. This would be with the idea that as my ball handler passes the LoS the blockers grab their opponents and place them on their other side, in effect reversing the position of the board.

Obviously Guard would have to come first but do you think I'd be missing out by not going with MB next. Is the whole idea never really going to pan out anyway?

cjblackburn

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
cjblackburn
Country Flag
As with all BB questions it depends. If this is an uber competitive environment where you want no bloat because you want to win then it's probably not ideal. If you are playing in a league where it's not vital to win every match then building a 'different' team is always valid so long as you are happy to accept that other builds will do better for their TV.

I like Grab as a skill but I don't see it panning out as you describe on the kick off. Most teams will have 3 players on the LOS at kick off then more players a couple of Squares back. You only have one Blitz so you can't clear the whole second tier so there won't be enough room except at the side which you can do without grab.

However in normal cage play I could see a place for mass (5+) Grab. If anyone is in contact with your cage you could pull them all over the place. This might combine well with the Mino or a frenzy bull and allow for plenty of surfing.

If your positional play is up to it then you could do something with this if it excites you.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
A few grab players is always useful with slow moving teams but I wouldn't put it on everyone.
If your 1st roll is a double I would go Claw then MB as usual.
If your 2nd roll is a double then I would go Guard , Claw.
If neither is a double then you could go half grab and half MB.
I would put the grab players on the outside of your line so you can either move them towards the sideline for surfing or keep them in the middle as you move down 1 flank.

Last edited:

Olber

Veteran
Country Flag
Thanks for the replies both. I was looking for a way to change up from the standard dwarf cage, going with a sneaky surprise screen. Always making life harder for myself, hehe. I'll try out Tys's suggestion on BB2 as a nice halfway measure and see how it goes.

Hudd

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I do know a certain coach (way better than me) who is a big fan of grab. I feel he would recommend Guard, MB (as you will never get to lev 5 otherwise), Stand Firm, Grab. But the basic idea would be to use grab to keep your guard as effective as possible, so your opponent has to stand up, only to be knocked down again.