1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Zones!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GIANT DWARF, Jul 23, 2015.

?

What timezone do you live in?

1. GMT -12 -> GMT -10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. GMT -9 -> GMT -7

22.2%
  3. GMT -5 -> GMT -3

22.2%
  4. GMT -2 -> GMT 0

5.6%
  5. GMT +1 -> GMT +3

33.3%
  6. GMT +4 -> GMT +6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. GMT +7 -> GMT +9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. GMT +10 -> GMT +12

5.6%
  9. GMT -6 -> GMT -6½

11.1%
  1. GIANT DWARF

GIANT DWARF New Member

Country Flag:
    What timezone is everyone from?

2. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Im in Denmark, Europe and we live in GMT+2 during the summertime and GMT+1 during normaltime. I think it is a stupid thing to cling on to and would prefer to get rid of Summertime:cool:

3. Ikoma

Ikoma Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ikoma
    Country Flag:
    Ummm.... I'm in GMT-6. Which is not on your poll.

4. Valokiloren

Valokiloren Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    ʋǟʟ
    Cyanide Username:
    Valokiloren
    Country Flag:
    I'm from the UK, so during October to April my timezone is GMT, and during April to October my timezone is GMT+1 due to BST. Personally, I think it's a little dumb, but I do like to take advantage of the 25 hour day to get an extra hour of sleep during October, even if said day is on a weekend so I'm unlikely to be working.

5. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    Well this is awkward, you weren't supposed to find out this way ....

GIANT DWARF likes this.
  6. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Added your timezone and India.

GIANT DWARF likes this.
  7. GIANT DWARF

GIANT DWARF New Member

Country Flag:
  8. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    Actually they tried that in the UK between 27 October 1968 and 31 October 1971 where they abolished having differing time zones and we remained GMT+1 constantly but there was a vast increase in fatalities especially among school children in the mornings so it was abolished.

9. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    *nods slowly* Then... why not keep it at GMT 0 instead? I mean that is the original time of the UK anyway... is it not? XD

10. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    Its all about farming and increasing the number of daylight hours in there working day, but moving the clocks an hour ahead they can get a longer working day starting at 4:30-5am instead of 5:30 - 6am and work productively for longer.

11. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    How hard can it be to work an hour longer in the other end of the day?????

12. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    It is more to do with the fact that most of the world "stops working" at a certain time of day, and after that you can not do anything with those places.

And the fact that most farmers in general need to work during the part of day where there is light outside means that for the farmer to be able to, for example, drive his crops to the places which buys it from him, he needs to start driving at a certain time of day to get there in time to unload befor they close. And if the general "work day" for everyone else starts and ends one hour earlier, the farmer will essentially lose a whole hour of work due to it.

Which might not seem like much to most people... but for a farmer that one hour can be very essential for their income.

Also... *facepalming*... Seeing as I am the son of a farmer (or atleast an ex-farmer since sometime during the 90's)... granted... a "moonlight farmer" (a farmer which has an actual job outside of his farm as well)... I should have remebered that this is why they had the daylight saving times thing.

Of course... I became "civilized" and "city'fied" pretty early on... since we moved from the farm when I was almost 10. :p

Unnecessary knowledge about me, and part of my family, in the spoiler below. XD
    I do recall helping on the farm occationally befor then. Stuff like loading up hay bales on large trailers during late summer. And the last spring befor we moved my dad put me in the tractor and had me harrowing one of the fields by my self. I also remember giving food to the animals we had there, and on occation cleaning up after them, through out the years.

We had a some cows, one of which I know was named Stina. And some pigs at one point. We also had a small'ish horse named Katja (which threw of my younger brother one time, and she almost kicked me in the face mere minuts later... she missed by less then 5 centimeters (about 2 inches)... it was my own fault that it happend though). We also had some chickens, and a few rabbits. And a goat named Göte, who tried to eat your cloths when you got close to him... and... who drank his own urin... directly from the "source"... eventhough he had perfectly fresh and good water available to him! XD Then of course there where some cats, and two dogs. There was even a "Hunting Ferret", that belonged to my dad's mother's father Henning (I said it that way because the english "great grandfather" is just to none specific as to who you mean), he had used that ferret to hunt for rabbits.

Henning and his wife Evelina pretty much raised their grandson, my dad... and it was "oldschool style" to you know. On top of being a farmer, Henning had also been the local butcher. Not like having a store or anything... but rather the guy who travel around to all other farmers in the area to be the guy who slaughtered their animals when that time of year came around. He was of "the old sort" of people, you know the ones that keeped going no matter what, through pain and all.

I mean... if you accidentally slip on a wet rock, fall down onto your hands and knees, where your arms happend to be long enough, and the chainsaw you had put down on a log happend to be low enough, for you to "just" rip up a somewhat long and heavily bleeding wound, from the area between your eyes and up onto your forehead, as you headbutted the "buissness end" of said chainsaw (chainsaws back in that day did not have any kind of chain/blade protection, or failsafe system where the chain stopped spinning when you let go of the chainsaw... if the chainsaw was on, then the chain was spinning), and then get up, take what cloth you can find to put preasure on the wound, and wrap it up with some clothing, clean your self up as best as you can, pick up your still going chainsaw, to then FINISH YOUR FREAKING TASK (!?!), befor you finally walk the atleast half an hour home, where your wife sews you up her self, to then not go to hospital after, and then your out there again the next day working with little to no complaints... then you are a tough SOB! XD I mean hell, even Hennings wife, Evelina, was tough as nails. I think my dad was more afraid of her then Henning. XD Also, one time she was chopping and splitting wood for their stove (for cooking AND the heat in the kitchen and bedroom, since it was winter... the large livingroom, which was not used that often, had it's own fireplace), when she got a bad hit where the axe glanced of the wood and the chopping block and sunk it's self pretty deeply into her shin, and if I remember correctly she finished chopping wood befor she finally walked inside (with the wood) to take care of her wound, and then refused to go to hospital for weeks to come. XD

Some of my strongest memories of Henning (I never met Evelina as far as I know, think she died befor I was born) is hearing the sound of his Puch Dakota moped from afar, and then finally seeing him coming driving (all bouncy-like) over the fields towards the farm... in his mid to late 70's, during the mid to late 80's (he was born in 1909). He would often bring bottles of 7-Up for me and my brother. And the only fish related food I would even touch outside of fishsticks and shrimps (with no shell of course), was Hennings homemade dill and chive pickled herring. Ever since he died I have close to never touched pickled herring anymore (mostly because the "normal" stuff sold does not have the same consistency as Hennings had... his was sort of "solid" and meaty, where as the normal stuff is soft, floppy, and slimey)... so not touched it since 1989. I have made up for it by the fact that to this day dill and chive is my favorit type of potato chip flavor... 9 or more out of 10 bags of potato chips I ate during the 90's was dill and chive flavoured. I ate so much of it for so long that I eventually started to feel sick eating it towards the turn of the century, I still do to some degree (atleast if I eat to much of it at the same time). But it is still in my normal potato chip flavor rotation, just not as often... maybe 1-2 bags out of every 10.

One of my two middle names is Henning actually, which of course came from him. :) Of course... I am pretty sure I have nowhere near the toughness that the actual guy had. XD

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  13. Netsmurf

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Funny in Denmark, they state the reason for getting summertime as a way to save on energy, but what is saved during the evening is instead used in the morning:p

14. Phunbaba

Phunbaba Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Phunbaba
    Country Flag:
    Maybe people use less energy in the morning then in the evenings on average so that it does save energy? But I live in a state without DST so I'm a steady 7 hours behind GMT.

Jav likes this.
  15. Mephiston

Mephiston Member

Country Flag:
    If anything, all that energy we "might" save here in Scandinavia during the summer, will only be used up all of it instead during the winter... Seeing as how we tend to have light outside for a very long time during the summer, and few hours of light out during winter.

16. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
  17. Darkson

Darkson Member

Cyanide Username:
    Darkson
    Country Flag:
    BST gets mentioned every summer in the UK, discussions, tv debates, opinion pieces, but it doesn't change. I can understand why it was bought in, but farming isn't such a big issue nowadays (for the amount of people it employs) compared to when it came in, so I wouldn't complain if they did away with it.

18. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Also it kills people (death rates rise for the spring week, with no correlating decrease when the hour comes back in autumn) and work performance most likely suffers as well. We managed without it from the 20:es to the 80:es, when some genius wanted us to adapt to EU.. :rolleyes:

19. Valokiloren

Valokiloren Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    ʋǟʟ
    Cyanide Username:
    Valokiloren
    Country Flag:
    There is a good reason for it in some ways - by pushing the clocks one hour forward for the summer you don't have people waking too early due to the sunrise and the like, for example. I mean, I have kept a vague recording on the average time I wake up over the course of the last six odd months, and I can tell you that during the summer, even with the +1 hours on the clock I wake up earlier than I do in winter. Specifically, in winter I'm about as likely to sleep in a fair amount of the morning as I am to wake up at a reasonable, though still somewhat late time (8:00 to 9:30 AM, if not later). In the summer, it's a rare occasion where I've woken up after 8:00 AM, despite it being 7:00 GMT so even earlier than it would otherwise be.

If you aren't going to be working until x-time of the day but your bodyclock has adjusted for summer, without the summertime differential you essentially lose a fair amount of time for work purposes at which time your brain is at its most active. After all, after being awake for about 12 hours your brain is effectively working as if you were quite drunk, which is why drinking after a long day is so bad for you, since you are compounding the issue. Its effectively one of those "Six of one, half a dozen of the other" situations - the pros and cons even out for the most part, but it makes more sense logically to continue using it even if its somewhat weird as opposed to doing away with it completely. Doesn't stop it from feeling dumb in many cases, but there is a high amount of logic behind having a summertime differential.

20. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I think its normal to sleep more in the winter than in the summer if you're not right by the equator. So the proper adjustment is maybe to have longer work days in the summer and shorter in the winter. But then we'd get even less time to enjoy the summer sun so not a fan of that idea myself.