1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for teaching the game to beginners?

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Purgatory, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    In a couple of weeks, I'll be introducing the game to a group of friends, with the ambition to start a local league.

So give me your best tips on how to teach the game to new players, in a group setting. Maybe we can get a list of dos and don'ts going? :)

2. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Hmm, never taught this game to everyone but I pretty much repeat what I have said to my friends about Blood Bowl 2:

It is a game of dice, and you have to understand sometimes luck doesnt come on the best of moments. More you roll, more you are bound to roll a bad result. I believe the best you can do is to make them understand the mentality of the game, and that it is about risk management. I think they will learn the basics of movement and such fast, so if you really are looking for a more permanent group of players, focusing on their approach to the game might be good idea.

Also if/when they play against you, it might be a good idea on giving them easier go first time and not wrecking them completely. Too many times a more experienced fellow goes 100% on a newb and that newb never plays the board game again.

Plus; explaining how a player supports a block is good thing to do. Helps them understand positioning better. Sometimes people dont figure out why a player is not supporting the block.

Purgatory likes this.
  3. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I'd split them into 2 groups and give each group 1 team to control while you umpire ,explain the basic rules and make suggestions.
    The humans vs orcs that comes with the base game is probably the best teams to use as you have the block , dodge , pass , catch and sure hands skills and different strength players.

Purgatory likes this.
  4. Cold fenris

Cold fenris New Member

Country Flag:
    I started teaching my youngest step son blood bowl. We stuck to basic rules and used the human and orc teams. I found it best just to go slow and point out any really bad plays they do.

Purgatory likes this.
  5. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    I don't have the Orcs or Human teams available, but I will simplify it as much as possible. I teach for a living, so I trust some of that with getting through. These are experienced gamers, and I trust them to take the rules to heart quite quickly.

Thank you all for your input.

6. Cold fenris

Cold fenris New Member

Country Flag:
    Good luck and have fun. Tell us how you got on

7. mamutas

mamutas Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, I'd suggest the same. Simple for a beginner, but with enough variety to show off different element of play. I am playing against my 7 year old and by the third game I am feeling not so confident against him anymore. :eek: Wish I had an Ogre on my team! ;)

8. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    The session went very well, by the way, I did it like this:

- I started by explaining the basic rules of the game, i.e. the goal of the game, the different pieces, the board, the stats on the players, etc.

- I followed by explaining the rules of the ball, that is how to actually win a game, passing, hand-off, catching, etc.

- This followed by a quick lesson in blocking and the basics of assists eventually. I gave the participants (four of them) different scenarios and asked questions like "If this player blocks that player, how many block dice will we roll?", and they had to search for the player stats in the rule book (LRB6), and argue the questions.

- Finally, I handed them two teams and two of them volunteered to start up a game, and I went through the process step-by-step, and they played a half. Each turn, I explained the rules but gave no tips on tactics. The teams I used were needlessly complex - Wood Elfs and Underworld, but it worked out just fine.

League sign ups close on Friday, so far we're six coaches participating! :)

Coach, Cold fenris, Borke and 4 others like this.