1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TT - Midway Mutants [Underworld]

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by greymurphy42, Nov 8, 2011.

1. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    The local tabletop league is finally getting underway, and my Underworld team are looking to take them by surprise. Well most of them anyway, I've played Andy's Skaven twice at the last two tournaments, and three or four other times as practice runs. Other confirmed teams are Chaos Dwarves, Necromantic, Chaos, Goblins. Probably a Dark Elf team and one more team yet to be decided.

My roster:-

Gomer Pyle - Warpstone Troll - claw (14)
    Crazy Earl - Skaven Blitzer - pending (7)
    Payback - Skaven Blitzer - (4)
    Animal Mother - Skaven Thrower - (0)
    Joker - Skaven Thrower - block (8)
    Cowboy - Skaven Lineman - (5)
    Rafterman - Skaven Lineman - wrestle (6)
    Eightball - Underworld Goblin - (0)
    Snowball - Underworld Goblin - (0)
    Daytona Dave - Underworld Goblin - (2)
    Doc Jay - Underworld Goblin - (0)
    Hartman - Underworld Goblin - (0)
    An apothecary
    3 rerolls
    3 fan factor
    10k in the bank

I've got the goblins first up, from what I've heard he won't go short on his roster in order to afford bribes. So if I can score quickly, I may be able to get rid of some of his secret weapons, which would be a bonus.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2013
  2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Great luck to you - you might need it. At least our local Underworld coaches have struggled with them, with match records as 2-5-10 (team abandoned in favor of Lizardmen) and 2-1-7 respectively.

3. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks :) I've seen the next few matches...chaos next, then necro and then chaos dwarf. Looks like I need to try and get as many 3 die blocks on goblins with my troll in the hope that I can get him claws for those matches...

4. Mico Selva

Mico Selva Active Member

Country Flag:
    Good luck. I've had a very good experience with Underworld so far (5 wins, 1 defeat), despite the team being actually a nerfed Skaven side. Use those Goblins well, as they are the key to success!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  5. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    I managed to play my first three matches on Sunday, due to the way the fixture list worked out.

The first game was a 2-0 win against goblins. He had 15 players, including the looney and fanatic, but not the pogo or bomber. Unfortunately I ended up rather battered, with the apothecary saving a blitzer from -AV during the first half, and then a lineman being niggled, a goblin MNG, one of the throwers with -AV and the other thrower dead! I didn't get any skill ups, and would be playing chaos next with the troll, 3 skaven and 7 goblins.

The chaos coach has gone with the Minotaur, 4 warriors and 6 beastmen, and only 1 RR. I lost 3-0. I didn't take any more serious injuries which was a bonus, and two of his TDs came from completing long bombs, so I don't feel too bad about losing. I caused a niggle on one beastman and a -ST on another. The troll leveled and took claw, and the lineman that played took wrestle. I had enough to replace the dead thrower after this game.

Match 3 was a 3-1 win against the most necro team, and another 1 RR build. He took all the positionals and 3 zombies, but had lost a werewolf in his first match. He had skilled up both ghouls and his remaining werewolf with block. One of the ghouls got strength busted on a failed dodge, but the other casualties I caused all regenerated :( My new thrower got 2TDs and a cas and took block, and a blitzer leveled and will probably take guard. I replaced the armour busted thrower with the winnings.

The last two teams are confirmed as skaven and dwarf. I've got skaven next, but he has to play the dwarves, chaos dwarves and the other skaven team first, so he could be quite battered by then.

6. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    Updated the first post with the team as it stands at the moment. I have gained 49 spp in the first three games, but lost 3 when the thrower died.

I could do with some ideas as to what to pick for the blitzer's normal skill up. At the moment I'm thinking one of tackle/guard/mighty blow, but I can't decide between them. Next matches will be skaven, chaos dwarves, skaven and dwarves.

7. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    Well...that turned out rather poorly!

I lost 5-0 against one of the skaven teams, and had my wrestle lineman die on a GFI, a goblin eaten by a troll and my block thrower MNG. Of course the MVP went to the dead lineman :mad:

I did manage a casualty on the troll and the other blitzer, and they both have normal skills pending...

Next match is against Chaos Dwarves, after they play their match against the goblins, so fingers crossed they suffer a bit ;)

8. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    It's not been going well recently...currently 2-0-5 and seventh out of eight in the league. Still...I haven't had any serious injuries lately, and as the result of getting the MVP last match Snowball managed to pick up an AG boost :D

I've got a rematch against the Chaos next up and 280k worth of inducements to spend...if anyone's got any advice it'd be appreciated :)

I was thinking maybe Glart and a babe, although Nobbla and a wizard are also pretty tempting

If you want to take a look at the teams they are here...

My team: Midway Mutants
    His team: Chaos Dreadknights

9. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Nobbla and a wizard, or Nobbla, bribe and a babe.

Nobbla either for fouling, or for making blitzes that otherwise would be 2d against.

10. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    Hmm...hadn't considered the bribe, but it sounds like a good idea. And if Nobbla gets taken out, I can use it for fouls too...

11. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    As a fellow Underworld coach, I respect your decision to pick Guard on both Blitzers as their first skill. It'll make them more like team players in the long run, and it's a solid pick IMO. I myself, however, couldn't pass the opportunity to at some point have MB, PO, Claw and Horns on the same player, so I picked Claw as my first skill (the other Blitzer is, unfortunately on 0 SPP after three games).

I agree with Nikolai on the inducement picks, but I'd be tempted to pick Glart Smashrip if I were you. A Chainsaw is always fun, however, especially since he has many Block and ST4 pieces.

12. Stryke

Stryke Member

Country Flag:
    Having played a fair bit of Underworld on FUMBBL one killer (MB, Claw, PO) and one support (Guard, Stand Firm) on the Blitzers works absolute wonders.

13. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    I played last night, and won 2-1 :D I took Glart the last time I played them, he did ok but didn't cause my opponent the same amount of problems as Nobbla seemed to. Not that he did much other than a few stunned beastmen, but he did make him commit to trying to take him out, which left the rest of my team free ;)

Scored a classic too :D I set up after equalising in the second half, rolled a blitz and suddenly Snowball (AG 4 goblin) was flying through the air! Caught the ball, survived the blitz and two 2+ dodges and I was winning :cool:

14. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    The table topping Necro team is up next, at the moment I've got 190k inducements, but that could go up to 260k if he decides to buy his second reroll. I'm thinking probably the wizard, and then babes to make up the rest if he does buy the reroll, but I could also afford to squeeze Fezglitch or Bomber in instead of babes...

Any thoughts?

His Team

My Team

15. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    Just found out he's sacked his 2 STR blodge ghoul and bought a RR, so I'll have 170k of inducements

16. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Time to try out Skitter Stab-Stab for speed? (And for hunting ghouls) ?

Also I think your team name is why my Midway Monsters were turned into Midway Mutants when I rerolled them. Well, the new name worked well, since the first try went 0-0-1 and the second one has gone 2-0-0 :rolleyes:

17. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    Good to see the name's working for you :D

Looks like it's a toss up between Skitter and the wizard. I've got a couple of days to think it over as it looks like we're playing Wednesday. I beat them 3-1 when we played MD3, my third TD coming after his ghoul fumbled a long pass, but obviously both teams have developed a bit since then. I don't remember him caging it up, so possibly Skitter would have a slight edge over the wizard.

18. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    At least if you don't mind scoring with Skitter, then he'll probably be of great use. (And for blitzing down that Blodge/SH ghoul - at least in theory he can get several tries)

19. Purgatory

Purgatory Member

Country Flag:
    I second skitter on paper at least, it seems like he's a good way to deal with Blodging Ghouls, especially since you lack Tackle in the roster.

20. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards Skitter. Especially as in my UKBBL league match my opponent blasted my cage with a fireball and missed everyone... :D

As you say, he'll give me a bit extra against his blodge players and pace to burn can't be bad. He'll also give me someone to possibly earn garbage time completions for the two players on 15 SPP.