TV Chief Chefs

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Well, seeing as how he gets more tackle on the team with this happening, and that the newcomers being "loners" doesn't really matter if you've stolen all the rerolls..

But yea, he'll have speed 4 on those, and you'll have speed 5. Good luck. :)

Captain Thorrek

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I think it'll be a close game. Tackle may be the deciding factor, you'll need to steal his rerolls to make up for the lack of dodge. Keep an eye on those slayers also; they're lousy tippers. ;)

SorroW

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I think it'll be a close game. Tackle may be the deciding factor, you'll need to steal his rerolls to make up for the lack of dodge. Keep an eye on those slayers also; they're lousy tippers. ;)

What you talking about?! My slayer is a great tipper. I promise!

And I am looking forward to the game, but am a bit worried. Since I have had bad luck 2 games running now... and these things tend to come in three's..

I hope it will be full of failed dodges and more reasonable damages to the dwarfs... that would suite me.. :)

/SorroW

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I suppose on the one hand your dwarfs took a hit, but on the other you have an extra tackle player and three players you don't mind putting next to a Treeman...

Captain Thorrek

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Sounds like you two are going to have a great match! I can't wait to see the report on it. I'm not going to say anything more; best not jinx what looks like the makings of an intense game. :)

Valokiloren

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
ʋǟʟ
Cyanide Username
Valokiloren
Country Flag
I think the best bit - is that even with him losing his players, he is still on a higher TV when he gets his Loners, so I can simply recycle and rehash for the Master Chef once more. No offence Sorrow, but that's really going to affect the game.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
No offence Sorrow, but that's really going to affect the game.

That can affect the game. Just like you can steal 6 RR over two halves, you can steal 0 RR.. :eek:

Best of luck :)

Barmution

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Barmution
Country Flag
I observe that your attitude towards the next match is 97% correlated to the result from your previous match, Valo. I think you might want to curb your enthusiasm here, this is, after all, a game of great variance... More power to you if you manage to defeat dwarves with stunties, but it's by no means a given.

Good luck, because believe it or not, you're going to need it ;)

Valokiloren

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
ʋǟʟ
Cyanide Username
Valokiloren
Country Flag
Lies, lies I say! Obviously Halflings will beat the living... -stops typing to try to stop choking on my laughter-

Nah, but seriously - I feel I have a fairly good shot at this next game, though if SorroW spends some money on a Apoth or a Slayer, I get to go 14 players rather than 12 and get my Master Chef.
When I say I have a good feeling about this? It's because Sorrow is probably the only coach who's team I'll manage to outpace in the cup, and with the loss of one of his MV5 players, he has 5 MV5 players left. Hopefully with some jammy 'fling Throwing and a bit of luck, I'll be on 6 points going into MD4, which would be a shocker and a lovely bit of news all in one.

Valokiloren

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
ʋǟʟ
Cyanide Username
Valokiloren
Country Flag
Well, as expected, and to my annoyance, my 'flings bit off more than they could chew, and we were soundly beaten 3-0 by Sorrow's lucky Dwarves. Seriously, he needed just 2 RRs all game, and didn't fail a single 1D roll, 13/13 and no RRs used.

We were soundly beaten, and to be honest... it was a good game anyway. I already knew, when he told me he wasn't buying anything, that I was in for a tough fight, so the fact that I was beaten 3-0 isn't surprising. What is surprising is that I only took BHs when rolling for injury, but the only AV break on him all match? Dead Loner Blocker, caused by a Treeman. Of course, unfortunately, save the MVP that was the only SPPs gained all game, so...

Still, why was I unsurprised? I had only 12 players, to his 11, as Dwarf Loners are really forgiving. As soon as I lost two 'flings, something that happened quickly, I was outnumbered, and since neither team was particularly fast, he could easily one-on-one mark my team with his Blockers and control the game. Which is, of course, what Sorrow did. While I freely admit the 3-0 loss was annoying, what makes it worse is that it is my own fault. Why? As I forgot about the issues with TTM, I threw away possession, KOed one of my own players and worst of all? He was completely safe for a turn, so if I'd have waited, I may have scored, making the best result for SorroW at that point 2-1 to him. Annoying.

I now slip down to 5th place, just behind Sorrow who is ahead of me on GD by a single touchdown, but I feel I still have a chance at qualifying. Ahead of me are the Undead Weight of jrpeart next week, and the Bone-Headed Guys of ill-Lich, so that's an Undead team who I can hopefully manage a draw against, and the only team I stand a chance of out-STRing. It'll be tricky, but it is a possibility if Undead Weight lose to BHG, and then subsequently me.

Still, I'm holding onto hope and enjoyment regardless, and hopefully I can manage to qualify for the knockouts, or at least manage to best my 1-win record per season.

Last edited:

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
And if not, there is always the Crunched Cup - what chef worth his name wouldn't want to compete for a golden spoon? :p

(I've got three games against highly agile people left, so I suspect the Girls will end up Crunched too..)

Valokiloren

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
ʋǟʟ
Cyanide Username
Valokiloren
Country Flag
Well, I've managed to beat another race which quite frankly, defies the odds. This week, I took on jrpeart's Undead Weight, an Undead team, and won 2-1 on account of some great sportsmanship on his part, good TTMs and positioning, and ultimately a good choice in defence by picking :bothdown: rather than a :powdodge: against a Ghoul in scoring range.

It was a close game, mainly because I never outnumbered jrpeart in the same way I did kvasilad. Partly due to having 12 men, and partly because he had two STR 5 players, allowing him to partially neutralise my Treemen, though considering they make better TTM-ers than blockers, it wasn't a perfect tactic, though no tactic is.

Still, my love goes out mainly to the treemen, particularly my surviving veteran, The Rolling Pin. R.Pin was a go-to guy for the entire game, managing to make enough decent teammate throws, allowing for two touchdowns, one via a TTM, which then eventually culminated, after some blocking and a failed dodge on jr's part, in a fairly simple pick-up to run-in, with GFIs. Easily managed. The 2nd was a perfect shot, bowling his Ghoul down and stunning it. The 'fling used was KOed, but did his job well, and plucky play from me and a spot of bad luck on jr's part did the rest.

He did pick up a consolation TD, allowing him another Blodge Ghoul, but this win allows me to get to 3rd, and only a loss and two wins, one each from both Sorrow and jr, will cause me not to qualify. Something I'm still concerned about, but I'm hoping that I can pull it off and finally manage to get through to the knock-out rounds for a change.

On another note - I finally beat my 1-win record! And with Halflings, no less. Obviously, when things go to the crapper, make with the hungry ones...

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Well impressed by the stunty showing this year what with you and ill-Lich's ogres. Well done mate. Always nice to see Halflings win.

Valokiloren

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
ʋǟʟ
Cyanide Username
Valokiloren
Country Flag
Well, I played ill-Lich a few hours earlier, and I'll just sum up the match with this report.

It was always going to be stacked in Lich's favour - he has an insane 14 player build - 4 Ogre/ 10 Snot - which is then complimented by 4 RRs. Therefore, I had to completely rely on the Master Chef to get RR dominance, something that I only had experienced in one other match - against Sorrow's Dwarves due to the sheer brute strength of a Dwarf team when compared to Halflings. I also was able to obtain a Wizard for this game due to the overwhelmingly high 280K inducements in my favour. It would have been "merely" 250K, but I couldn't come up with a decent chef name, so skipped the player for theme - which was my plan from the start.

Anyway, I chose to receive, and the first action of the game was Chef. No RRs stolen. My desk is starting to look like it'll gain a large head indent by the end of this match. But, the crowd threw a rock, BHing Lich's star Ogre - a Piling On/ Break Tackle monster, thereby draining his Apothecary in Turn 0. The kick way back into the endzone meant I took my time retrieving it - picking it up on Turn 2 and starting a jog towards the rest of the team. Fairly standard play for 'flings. Turn 3 - Things go "well" - read, not terrible, and my final turn action is an attempt to pass of the ball for a possible TTM. I say final because what seems to be the team flaw occurs once more - failed Dodge even w/ Dodge RR causes the ball to flounder. Lich capitalises easily - and while a heroic effort from my plucky pilferers of baked goods was started, the Snotlings managed to walk it in fairly easily on Turn 4. 1-0 Ogres.

Turn 5 saw me setting up the same way, as it went wrong due to the dodge, not anything else. Once again, going well, this time the short kick allowing for a greater presence on the LOS, allowing for what I hoped would be a better protective cohesiveness. Wasn't to be - TTM failed to land properly while holding the ball - apparently trying to cushion oneself with it doesn't work, as the drained RR showed, and Lich quickly stole possession again. Some failed attempts at retrieving it ensued, including the use of my Wizard Lightning to knock the ball out of his snot's hands, only for my pick-up to fail, bounce of the pitch and be even more promising. :mad:
Fortunately, on Turn 8, just as he was on the final stretch for scoring, I managed to Both Down his Snot carrier, and his lack of RRs at this point meant he failed the important pick-up.

Turn 9 was my kick, and I had a severely drained team at this point - Ogres are never the best opponents with a proper-STR team, so with 'flings my only consolation was that I hadn't taken a proper kicking like a number of teams inevitably do - I'd only suffered BHs. While I put up some effort, I was outnumbered, outexperienced, outplayed and overwhelmed by the Ogres - Lich is a much better player with his chosen stunties than I am. At this point, I was more than a bit depressed - the Chief Chefs may not have been powerful, but they captured my heart and soul, so the loss of about 7 players due to injury and KO, both caused by Lich and TTM, was disheartening. Lich ran in his Turn 14 to secure the game, which I thought was very sporting. I managed to get a return of some players, to get a skeletal 7 man team for the kick.

Turn 14, Chefs. Kick-off Chart - Pitch Invasion. I lose my out of position tree in purposes of ball location - Lich loses his entire right flank, where the ball was. Though some mishaps happened - namely the tripping of my ball-carrier on Turn 14, then subsequent failed pick-up on Turn 15, Lich played nicely, and didn't chose to smash my only potential scorer into submission, and I thanked him for his sportsmanship before managing to run in my consolation TD, to make it a final score of 2-1 grasped in the glowing embers of the game.

This puts me on 6 pts, 2-0-3, and clinging onto 4th with my fingertips - all Jr needs is a 2-TD win over Kvas and he takes it from me. However, anything other than that result, or a win of 4-3 or higher, and I qualify for the group stages. I worked this out on account of my 6 scored/ 8 let in -2 TDs, to his 3 scored/ 6 let in -3 TDs.

So, no offence Jr, but I'm hoping I can cling onto my spot and make the final 16. There, if present conventions in my win/loss work out, I'll win the final 16 and make it to the quarter finals before being eliminated. Obviously, I doubt this very much, but it's a nice thought that I could make the final 8.

jrpeart

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
jrpeart
Cyanide Username
jrpeart
Country Flag
So, no offence Jr, but I'm hoping I can cling onto my spot and make the final 16.

No offense taken. Sounds like you had the sort of game against ill-Lich the rest of us had, painful :(. I always thought an Ogre team was likely to lose but cause injuries, ill-Lich forgets the losing part and is very sporting about it at the same time.

If I need to win by 2 then I expect you've got the playoff spot. I can't see me getting 2-0 or 3-1 with my team.

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Well regardless of whether you make the play-offs or not, you should be very proud of your performance. Any Halfling coach would take two wins out of five and obviously they've made a hell of a lot of money for the bookmakers too...

If you're stuck for a name, I reckon you should add the Swedish Chef from the muppets... best chef ever.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chefs_(antiquity_to_the_20th_century)

The wikipedia list if that's any help too.

Last edited:

Narly Bird

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
If you're stuck for a name, I reckon you should add the Swedish Chef from the muppets... best chef ever.
LOL! I second Barn's suggestion.

Nicely done with the Flings there Val. Not many coaches can get even 1 win, let alone 2 wins in such a short season. Here's hoping this is your season to reach the playoffs. :)

Valokiloren

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
ʋǟʟ
Cyanide Username
Valokiloren
Country Flag
I have to say I had considered Swedish Chef before the match, but ultimately thought I could do better than that.

As it is, Jr went and put his own words to shame, and won 2-0, which knocks me out of 4th spot at the final second. T_T And I thought this would be my year to qualify for the play-offs too...

Still, the Chefs have really made my last few weeks special - there was some twisted and masochistic pleasure to be had at coaching them, and to win 2 out of my 5 games was quite the achievement regardless - but I drew my maximum points in a season, and with Stunties and fewer games at that! So yeah, if I do enter CCIX, it'll probably be at the helm of the Chefs again. That, or at ANOTHER team, this time themed by the Elder Scrolls.

I'll probably rollover to CTA for a wee while with the Chefs - as I don't want to enter Crunched with my team, they deserve a break from their reckless coach! Seriously - the reason I have passing yards of 86 and knock-downs of 87 is at least partially due to my tendency to declare "Right, the cage/ cloud isn't working as well as I hoped... bring on the Pancake Toss Play!" and watch my halflings fly through the air. I think on average, I threw two or three halflings a game. That's 10 - 15 flings thrown. ^^"

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
- as I don't want to enter Crunched with my team, they deserve a break from their reckless coach! Seriously - the reason I have passing yards of 86 and knock-downs of 87 is at least partially due to my tendency to declare "Right, the cage/ cloud isn't working as well as I hoped... bring on the Pancake Toss Play!" and watch my halflings fly through the air. I think on average, I threw two or three halflings a game. That's 10 - 15 flings thrown. ^^"

Aaww. Halflings that win games could have done great in the CrC - and half the reason for why halflings play BB is the opportunity to fly. Why else would they all have "Right Stuff"?