1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UEI: Crunch Cup X - Sponsored by Fatshark - The Rules!

Discussion in 'Crunch Cup' started by Gallows Bait, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]
    Image courtesy of XanderV (OCC)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Underworld Evolutionary Industries: Crunch Cup X

The Rules.

Team entry:

1) Teams applying to Crunch Cup will only be accepted if they meet the one of the following criteria:
    a) The team is newly created and has not been in any other league prior to Crunch Cup.
    i) The newly created team has a minimum of 11 players within its starting roster.
    ii) The newly created team has a minimum team value of 500 within its starting roster.
    b) The team has played previously within Crunch Cup.
    i) The team may play up to 2 matches within Crunch Them All between leaving Crunch Cup at a season end and returning to Crunch Cup in a new season.
    ii) The team may play matches within one Crunch Cup affiliated side tournament between leaving Crunch Cup at a season end and returning to Crunch Cup in a new season.
    iii) Crunch Cup affiliated side tournaments currently recognised are: Crunched Cup, Graduate Recruitment Fair and Graduate Recruitment Fail.
    iv) The team may not play matches in any other league than those named in the conditions above and within the maximum limits above. Teams that do so will not be eligible to return to future Crunch Cup seasons.
    c) The team has played previously within Crunch Them All and is electing to transfer from Crunch Them All to Crunch Cup.
    i) The team may not have played any matches prior to joining Crunch Them All.
    ii) The team may not have played more than 6 matches within Crunch Them All.

2) Any and all teams owned by a coach that has failed to complete or otherwise been removed from a previous season of Crunch Cup will be excluded for a period no less than one season, unless otherwise agreed by the league commissioner.

3) All entries are accepted at the discretion of the league commissioner. Where circumstances warrant the league commissioner reserves the right to enforce sanctions up to and including the right to permanently bar a coach from entry into Crunch Cup.

4) The team must apply to the league in game within the deadlines advised by the league commissioner at the beginning of the season. Failure to do so may see the team passed over for another waiting team.

Match arrangement:

5) Matches are played at the rate of 1 per week.

6) Match weeks begin from 00.00 GMT on Tuesday morning and end at 23.00 GMT on Monday evening in any given week.

7) Each coach is responsible for arranging to meet their respective opponent during each week and playing the match.
    a) Matches may be arranged by any means available to the coaches, including bbtactics forums match arranging threads, Private Messaging and Cyanide in-game Private Messaging.
    b) It is, however, recommended that coaches use the bbtactics forum match arranging threads in order to allow a clear and visible record for the league commissioner and administration team in the event of a match being subject to an administration result.

8) Where coaches are unable to arrange between themselves or otherwise unable to complete their match within the week, the result of the match shall be decided by the league commissioner and administration team.

9) Where coaches are unable to complete a match due to disconnection, server failure or other interruption to service, other than failure to arrange the match, where feasible, coaches are encouraged to rearrange the match within the week where possible and a replay of the match completed. This however is not a requirement and one or both coach(s) may request that the result be subject to administration.
    a) Where a replay is to be arranged and the Cyanide server has stored an incorrect match results, both players must contact the league commissioner or administration team to request the match to be reset to allow replay.
    b) Where a replay is arranged, the players may, by mutual consent, agree to replay the match in such a manner as to recreate the outcome of the match from the beginning up to the point at which disconnection occurred and continue the game from this point. This is not a requirement, however, and where this is not desired the match should be replayed in full as though for the first time.
    c) Recreation of match events is only permitted to the extent of recreating events that have previously occurred and may not be used to give rise to additional advantage and the league commissioner reserves the right to sanction teams accordingly if such advantage is gained.
    d) Recreation of match events is not permitted in respect of replacing star player points for events that cannot be accurately replicated, due to interference in league statistics. For example the replication of casualty star player points through pass completions is not permitted, due to distortion of passing statistics. Where such events cannot be replicated they must necessarily be forfeited.

10) Where coaches are unable to complete a match due to disconnection, server failure or other interruption to service, other than failure to arrange the match, where the Cyanide server has recorded the result at the point of disconnection, both coaches may, by mutual consent, request that the result as recorded stands as the final match result. Where this is agreed, both players must contact the league commissioner or administration team to request the match to be allowed to stand as recorded.

11) A replay from each completed match must be uploaded to the appropriate match day, league, season and division within Blood Bowl Manager on completion of the match prior to the validation of the match result by the league commissioner and administration team.
    a) The responsibility to upload the replay lies with the match winner.
    b) In the event of a draw, both players are responsible for agreeing the party to upload the replay and ensuring that this occurs.
    c) In all cases both parties are responsible for notifying the league commissioner and administration team of the completion of the match and its outcome in the appropriate forum thread. This ensures that both parties have agreed the result as recorded and made available within Blood Bowl Manager, prior to validation.
    d) Matches that have not been both uploaded to Blood Bowl Manager and notified within the forum will not be validated.
    e) In the event that the result is not validated, the league commissioner or administration team may elect to administer the result in absence of a confirmed and agreed result.

Match administration:

12) Where the result of a match is subject to administration, the league commissioner and administration team will only administer results as available within the tools provided by Cyanide. This therefore allows only the following results.
    a) A 2-0 conceded result. The winning coach will receive 2 x match winnings and randomly assigned star player points representing 2 MVPs and 2 Touchdowns. The losing coach receives no winnings and no star player points.
    b) A 1-1 draw result. Both teams receive normal winnings and randomly assigned star player points representing 1 MVP and 1 Touchdown each.

13) The following guidelines will be applied when assessing the administered result to be applied to the match when caused by failure to arrange and play within the week.
    a) Where one coach has demonstrably attempted to arrange the match and the other has not, the result will favour the arranging coach.
    b) Where both coaches have demonstrably attempted to arrange the match the result should be administered neutrally unless the league commissioner or administration team consider one coach’s availability to be limited to the point of precluding the reasonable arrangement of a match.
    c) Where neither coach has demonstrably attempted to arrange the match the result will be administered neutrally.

14) The following guidelines will be applied when assessing the administered result to be applied to the match when caused by disconnection, server failure or other interruption to service, other than failure to arrange the match.
    a) Where a result is administered due to disconnection, the party deemed by the software not to be the one responsible for the disconnection will be given the favourable result.
    b) Where a result is administered due to disconnection and the party deemed by the software to be the one responsible cannot be determined the result will be administered neutrally.
    c) Where a result is administered due to the failure of the Cyanide server to record the result and the game was completed, the result will be administered to reflect the outcome of the original result with regard to winner.

15) The league commissioner and administration team reserve the right to depart from the above guidelines where circumstances warrant such action in the interests of providing the most equitable result of the match for the participants involved.

2. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Fair Play, Cheating and Abuse:

16) The league commissioner and administration team will not tolerate coaches to act in a manner considered to be offensive or abusive to other coaches, including but not limited to harassment, discrimination or abuse on the basis of ethnicity, sex, age, religion, orientation or political ideology.

17) The league commissioner and administration team will not tolerate the abuse of bugs or features in manners other than designed, including but not limited to, the use of the 12 player bug, persistent use of turn pause timers, forced disconnection and unnecessary abuse of turn timer limits.

18) The league commissioner and administration team reserve the right to sanction any coach or coaches deemed to have abused the spirit of fair play, including, but not limited to, the undeclared coaching of another coaches team, the fixing of match results within Crunch Cup and the fixing of match results within Crunch Them All.

19) Where circumstances warrant the league commissioner reserves the right to enforce sanctions up to and including the right to permanently bar a coach from entry into Crunch Cup. In addition where appropriate the league commissioner reserves the right to raise matters to the attention of the forum administrator for sanction as appropriate.

Rankings and Play Offs.

20) Where eligibility for play off qualification or the assignment of any other placing related to a team's ranking in the cup is applicable, in all cases the ranking as applied in BB Manager will be the ranking deemed applicable.
    a) BB Manager rankings are determined by the awarding of points based on the result of each match played. 3 points for the winning team in a match, 1 point for both teams in a draw and 0 points for the losing team in a match.
    b) Where rankings are equivalent by points, teams are further distinguished by touchdown difference, this being the total number of touchdowns scored by the team, less the total number of touchdowns concede by the team.
    i) Where rankings are provided using touchdown difference, touchdowns arising from administered results are included as they are representational of result as applied by the league commissioner.
    c) Where rankings are equivalent by points and touchdown difference, the total touchdowns scored shall determine ranking.
    d) Where rankings are equivalent by points, touchdown difference and total touchdowns, ranking shall be determined by random dice roll performed by the league commissioner.

The administration team:

League Commissioner:
    Gallows Bait

League Administrators:
    jrpeart
    Lebe666
    Nikolai II (Dreamy)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  3. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    All, please note the transition to ranking by BB Manager in the first instance, giving rise to the inclusion of TDs from admin results. In addition total TDs and random dice roll have been added as further tiebreakers when ranking.

4. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    Question:

How are the Play-offs seeded eg 1st in Tier 1 plays 4th in Tier 4 etc?

5. Etheric

Etheric Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Etheric
    Country Flag:
    Previously it was

A : D1 Pos 1 vs D2 Pos 4
    B : D1 Pos 2 vs D2 Pos 3
    C : D1 Pos 3 vs D2 Pos 2
    D : D1 Pos 4 vs D2 Pos 1

E : Winner A vs Winner B
    F : Winner C vs Winner D

G : Winner E vs Winner F

Similarly for D3 and D4

Then the winner of D1/D2 plays the winner of D3/D4 in the final.

Gives the rookie teams more of a chance to get to the final (and with a bit of luck win).

6. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    Cheers mate, gives me an idea of potential opponents should I qualify

7. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Etheric has it - and overall I quite like that it gives Divisions 3 and 4 a better chance, as it reduces the TV differences until the end.

8. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Just a heads up for you, GB - reading 1b, it doesn't seem to prohibit teams from playing both the Crunched Cup and a couple of CTA games between seasons. You might want to tweak that if it isn't what was intended (as seemed to be implied in the chat box yesterday: "Nev - 2 games max between seasons (unless they play Crunched Cup in which case 0)").

9. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    That should probably have been "Crunched Cup doesn't count as a new season, so you can't play games between the Crunch Cup and the Crunched Cup belonging to said Cup"

The Crunched Cup has always counted as an "alternative playoff period" and as such a part of the Crunch Cup season, and thus not limiting the "between seasons" game.

So any change from that should indeed be properly announced, and before the season start at that.

10. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Well, I don't know whether that's the case or not - and I rather think it's GB's decision to make, no? Either way though, the rules could probably use a little clarification. :)

11. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    It was not my original intention to allow a team to play both CTA and Crunched Cup matches between seasons, as my comment to Nev reflected.

I'm happy to discuss what the community feels is the right balance, especially as at the time when I wrote the rules I was concerned that the timing between the two Cups might see teams from the early play off stages compete, allowing them the potential to play more games that would otherwise be possible. From this season's entry information, however, the Cup has been for those that did not reach the play off stage, and as such as a "parallel" play off stage, I can see that it would probably be fairer to allow both sets of teams the same games in CTA between seasons - I just didn't figure on people potentially having time or inclination to do both.

Similarly, if anyone does have any suggestions regarding rules changes or improvements, now is the time to shout. The Cup runs for the benefit of the forum community, even if I do enjoy my administrative dictatorship sometimes due to my OCD Control Freak tendancies. :D

12. Rama Set

Rama Set Member

Cyanide Username:
    Rama Set
    Country Flag:
    As someone who took part in the CedC and has played a CTA match since I can say it seemed a natural assumption that one could do both. The vibe of the coaches in the CC makes me think that it will not be a huge issue from people's perception of competitive balance either. I am all for anyone playing 2 CTA matches regardless of post-season participation.

13. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I love the whole concept of the Crunched Cup and was under the impression they counted as just an extension of the cup, but I can see the point that it's extra games on opponents.

I don't mind either way, but a couple of things do occur to me. First thing is that in Crunched there's no guarantee you'll play more than 1 game. You could play 4 potentially, but only two people will do so. You're also up against very good teams in a competitive environment where you're playing to try and win. A division 4 team could be drawn against a fifth place division 1 team that's been around for 5 seasons and just be destroyed. For me personally, I've managed to get through to the final and I've lost three good players already, my TV has plummeted, and I can see it being worse in the final. CTA games are different, because you're focused only on improving the team for next season. I would be placing more of an emphasis on player preservation, but then the flipside of that is that someone who goes on a rampage in the Crunched Cup could have 6 games and get tonnes of SPP, and then they can play more games. But in that scenario they're likely to get into a higher division because of their TV, no? So it's not like those teams are going to take an unfair advantage.

It's not a problem for me, I'd enter either way, but my concern is that it might put some people off joining the cup. One problem I do have with the Crunched Cup also is that the competition isn't necessarily open to everyone. What I mean is that if we have a 16 team limit and 19 teams want the chance of extra games... but you're kind of hamstrung by the tournament format so there's no good solution. But yeah, if we end up not getting interest in the Crunched Cup because people would rather have 'safer' games in CTA then that's a bad thing I think.

The only thing I think we could change about the Crunch Cup is having smaller divisions. 8 team divisions would be perfect for me.

14. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    You could have asked or checked previous seasons signup threads as well. Crunched Cup has always been a parallel and alternate playoff, meaning you "earn" no more games.

Besides, you can't ever get more than guidelines. Else you should start making sure that finals players don't play anything in CTA, those out by semifinals play only one, and people out before playoffs can play four games.

The only cause to restrict CTA games is because in theory people could cherry pick opponents there. I haven't seen it happen much, but I can accept a rule to make sure it doesn't happen. Benefit is that teams need to get a Crunch Cup history before they get "big".

Since all kinds of Cups, Playoffs and the like are scheduled, there can't be any cherry picking in the same way, so I see no reason to ever restrict that, even if someone somehow managed to get into two playoffs. (Which the rules for the Crunched Cup has never allowed, nor is it likely to ever do.)

15. Fallowheart

Fallowheart Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Fallowheart
    Country Flag:
    My feeling has always been one of 'feast or famine'. That is to say, any team can be destroyed or bolstered by each match that comes along.

in a way, you're inviting disaster or shoring up weaknesses between seasons. that happens with all organized sports. I think we're good with CTA x2, and playoffs count for extra.
    lord knows i got punished in my Crunched Cup match... but got some spp in both games too.

16. mardaed

mardaed Member

Country Flag:
    Crunched Cup

I'm interested in joining. Do you guys have links to "getting started" threads or anything like that.

Do we know when the next season begins, when sign-ups can occur, etc.

17. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    There'll be new threads for next season. Just be a regular to the forums and keep watching this subforum in particular.

18. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Hey Mardaded, fun to see you around here aswell, welcome to the Crunch Cup!

19. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Regarding CedC teams also having the right to play two CTA games in between seasons: I see no issue at all. As long as the same CTA limitations (i.e. 2 games in between seasons) apply to both CC teams and CedC teams and as long as the CedC can only be played by teams who didnt qualify for play offs in the CC then there should not be any problem.

Both qualified CC playofs teams and CedC teams will have a chance to, on average, play a similar amount of games. No issue that I can see.

The only caveat to make would be that a team who did not qualify for CC playoff and that has signed up for CedC should not be allowed to play CTA in between his last CC game and the first CedC game of a given season.

Playing those 2 allowed CTA games "In between seasons" has to be strictly applied for that period in between a team´s last game at the CC playoffs or at the CedC and the start of the next CC season.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  20. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    The revised rules have addressed this by defining the season as CC plus any participation in CrC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.