1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UEI: Crunch Cup XI - The Play Offs

Discussion in 'Crunch Cup' started by Gallows Bait, May 20, 2013.

1. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Yeah, I have the feeling this may be the route GB has chosen... will see! So exciting! :D

2. Limdood

Limdood Well-Known Member

Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
    Country Flag:
    regardless of the fact that our wildcard is a former OCC champ, he -IS- the wildcard.

it happens in sports all the time. The strongest team in the league has some crap games, and ends up BARELY making the playoffs, but when they get there, they get another chance. The drawback for that really good team that just barely made the playoffs is the fact that it'll be a rough road. If they do go to the championship, it'll be over the bodies of the best teams around, and well earned.

Just because he's a good coach (confirmed) with a good team (confirmed) and a nice guy (dubious at best :p) doesn't mean that danton didn't come in the very very tail end cutoff of the playoffs. Regardless of his skill or scariness, it would seem to cheapen the achievements of the future wildcards or current other playoff teams to treat him as anything but the "last place" or "worst" of the playoff teams. Nothing against him (in fact, its a testament to his competition), but its the spot he earned through the season. Admittedly, i wouldn't want to face him either in what should be the "easiest" playoff game, but its how the seeding would go in any sport....plus, Lebe should have thought of this before he beat Barm :p!

Also, an alternative to the proposed "1st of Div 1 plays 3rd of Div 2" and stuff, you could simply look at the overall records...organize the 15 playoff nominees of Div 1-5 in order from 1-15....add in one of the wildcards to bring it to 16, in this case Danton.

1 plays 16 A 2 plays 15 C
    8 plays 9 A 7 plays 10 C
    3 plays 14 B 4 plays 13 D
    6 plays 11 B 5 plays 12 D

after round 1, the same letters play, after round 2, A plays B, C plays D

this is a standard 16-team single elimination that rewards the top finishers and gives the toughest games to the lowest finishers.

The last concern here is simply the choice of whether the wildcard automatically gets slotted in at #16, or if he gets slotted in according to his record (in this case, both the #2 and #3 spots from Div 3, for example, have records worse than Danton!)

3. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Oh the vile grudge! :p Also note that I at least have a current TV of 2130 which is probably one of the very highest within the competition but does not say anything about my coaching qualities. So pretty hard to evaluate the difficulty of a match-up.

I like your system to be honest. But I'll be happy with whatever GB comes up with, earning a spot was rewarding enough after such a hard-fought season :)

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  4. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    Just to be clear from my end. I am happy to just have made the play-offs and will gladly play against anyone in the next round.

I can't say that my intended opponents will feel the same way all the same... :p

5. Squall

Squall Member

Country Flag:
    I am just happy to get to the playoff's indeed but my team needs a lot of love before it can challenge for the CC :)

6. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    Be careful what you wish for. Nuffle's love is often unpleasant.

7. Panda with issues

Panda with issues Member

Country Flag:
    Isn't the cyanide client just going to have it's archaic ways of sorting this anyway? We tried doing it outside of a knockout tournament in a league I ran in order to match up the way we wanted, then ran into problems with draws without extra time...

So yeah, don't do it externally...

8. Squall

Squall Member

Country Flag:
    Can't get much worse than my last game... 37% 1's....

Failed to pick up the ball 4 times with surehands with no tz on the ball :p

9. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    I see I can apply for the play-offs in game now so let me make sure I have this right, I should take rat-a-tat-tat out of the group stage and then apply for the play-offs?

10. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Wait for the announcement from GB I'd say, but practically yes, this is it.

11. Kanil

Kanil Member

Country Flag:
    I'd do something like this, myself. Seed the division winners 1-5 based on record, then seed everyone else 6-16, also based on record. Mix the wildcard in wherever it's record falls.

I mean, wouldn't it suck equally much to have to play Danton if he finished third as it would if he finished fourth? I don't see how it's a big deal.

12. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Initial post updated with initial play off match ups and sign up instructions.

13. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Well fate heard you it seems :)

14. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Tie of the round has to be Barmution v Viajero. I'm sure Barm is delighted to be facing AV7 again ;)

15. Kanil

Kanil Member

Country Flag:
    Apparently so. I definitely should have thrown my last two games.

16. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Glad you got the honor... :D

17. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    Nnnnnnghhhh!

18. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Nnngghh +1 !

I d say that Necro on Necro action with Lebe and Daka is probably going to be more spectacular with them getting some of their own medicine and possibly clawing each other to kingdom come!

19. Barristan

Barristan Member

Country Flag:
    Or not. With the season you've had, my money is on you. Besides I'm not sure my oppo (which would have been yours if you had ended on 12 points) is much easier. Or at all.

Go Div 3! ;)

20. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Nah... first to lose a wolf to KO or cas is screwed... one mistake and its over... :skull:

I have more advantage playing closed ranks... but that would cost me a lot of zombies and a hard end game.

Last edited: May 22, 2013