1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UEI: Crunch Cup XII

Discussion in 'Crunch Cup' started by Nikolai II, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Dionysian

Dionysian Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Oooh I really like that idea. If you went that route the easiest way is to create a separate playoff for the preliminary round of 16 and only play the 1st round (with the 8 winners then applying to the real playoff with the original 8),isn't it?

2. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I dunno if you can kick people out like that. I wouldn't want to risk it, actually.

3. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    32 man playoff is going to be fun:powdodge:

4. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    I think the word you are looking for is "big" ;)

5. G20

G20 Member

Country Flag:
    I've been getting that itch to play again recently. Let me know if you need a replacement team. I could start a new 1000TV team or play one that's been blooded in CTA.

6. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Are you willing to play any of your eligible teams? I'll take a look, and you'll be welcome back whenever.

Will you be hanging around enough to spot a PM?

Oh, and welcome back :)

7. G20

G20 Member

Country Flag:
    I'd prefer to hold the Goat Ravishers back to start a season fresh, but I'd play any of the others. I don't want my very rusty play to get half my favorite team killed off. I should notice a PM, but will send you PM w/ my email just in case. Also, it's great to be back! :pow:

8. notafunhater

notafunhater Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    notafunhater
    Country Flag:
    I'm also interested in a spot if you need a reserve. Been getting the itch to play more than just OCC games. I can blood a team in CTA if needed or roll up a new one.

9. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Good to know, thanks both of you :)

(Watch this spot, your PM inboxes or possibly a thread I might create called "CC Reserves", if I suddenly get that inclination)

10. Rotwelsch

Rotwelsch New Member

Country Flag:
    Hello there,
    i am back to Blood Bowl recently and very jolly over stumbling across CTA =)

If you need a reserve, here is my card (nevermind the gold attached to it)

Coach goes by the name "Rotwelsch" and the Team is the "Legion Lost" (nurgle) currently rebulding in CTA after years of absence and pestilence

Otherwise i am looking forward to meet you next season

Beste Grüße and good games
    Rotwelsch

PS also volunteering for Big crunch if needed (and wanted)

11. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
  12. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Note that Crunch Cup only accepts rookie teams, or teams that have solely played in earlier Crunch Cups and /or any Crunch Them All features.

(Crunch Them All itself accepts any team, so it is a good retirement home for those terms you can't make yourself delete)

Application noted btw, there should be a CTALE or something in about 7-8 weeks.

13. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    That's the first clue that there will actually be a CTALE this time, good stuff Nik (was worried that now you're CC commish CTALE would be too much of an additional burden)

14. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    They're not happening the same time, and I've got plenty of people helping me out, with Ken's going the extra mile, so shouldn't be a problem.
    I'll probably run a Crunched Cup for eight players if there's any interest. (There'll be a separate thread for it, as usual)

15. magnus

magnus Active Member

Country Flag:
    Just out of curiousity, how will the playoff be seeded? Group 1 winner plays 4th group 2, and so on? It is seven groups though. Or do you play your own group? Or some fancy seeding, which you can predict before hand?

16. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    It is supposed to be a fancy seeding, which has been explained elsewhere, but I realise I have to see how it works with an odd number of groups.

The general premise is you play teams of an adjacent group, then against winners of other matchups in that pair of groups, then against winners of an adjacent pair of groups, so only the final sees the match between high division and low division.

17. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    We went with 32 in the playoff, which I should probably update post #1 with - but my idea for playoff and wildcards don't work with an odd number of groups, so I've had to come up with a new one.

The solution is to take a cue from the discussion about last seasons wild cards "top billing teams should face the wild cards to get an easy way through" (And if a WC should turn a win they should be proud. Bragging rights until the finals, even if they'd be knocked out MD 2)

So, the playoff schedule planned is thus:

1-1 vs WC 4
    1-2 vs WC 3
    1-3 vs WC 2
    1-4 vs WC 1

2-1 vs 3-4
    2-2 vs 3-3
    2-3 vs 3-2
    2-4 vs 3-1

4-1 vs 5-4
    4-2 vs 5-3
    4-3 vs 5-2
    4-4 vs 5-1

6-1 vs 7-4
    6-2 vs 7-3
    6-3 vs 7-2
    6-4 vs 7-1

I'm not as satisfied with this one as I was with the idea for even groups, which I felt was pretty elegant. This sadly seems to be the best I can do, even if it does mean Wild Cards get a pretty steep slope.
    (Not much different from what Crunched Cup can offer, though, and if inducements work as they should then at least one of them should be able to come through to the second round)

18. Triple Skulls

Triple Skulls Member

Cyanide Username:
    Triple Skulls
    Country Flag:
    That seems like a pretty elegant solution given how hard it would be to fit wild card teams into their 'fairest matchup'.

Out of curiosity, can the cyanide client handle an odd number of teams in a group? Ie if we had gone for 8 groups of 7?

19. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    The Cyanide client can't handle odd amounts. It will sometimes accept odd amount of teams in a group, and it will create matchups as if the group had one player less, leaving one team out - but it won't add any extra day so all teams get to play. Some pairings will simply not happen.