1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[UKBBL] King Arthurs Court

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by 20phoenix, Nov 6, 2012.

1. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Diappointing start to the season for the Court as they go down 2-1 to the humans. First 6 turns pretty much went to plan - hit stuff and kick stuff to get numbers superiority for the second half. One MB/tackle blitzer and the AG4 catcher out in those turns was a job very well done. Getting the humans to score a turn early was a bonus. A bonus that turned out to be a curse as things went downhill pretty quickly from there. Galahad broke his neck making the final GFI for the equaliser - an equaliser that would have made him a legend. Apo turned it into a MNG though so he gets another pop at it. Second half I ended up with a linerat in the backfield instead of the thrower so he flubs the pickup allowing Lukas to squeeze my drive a little. I recover to get Castle Guard in range but Lukas makes him make some rolls to get to the endzone the following turn. 6 2+ rolls, 2 of them naked to be exact. Decent chance and he makes it although eats a reroll on one of the dodges. Lukas second drive saw the wizard pop out early in the drive which allowed Castle Guard to sneak in and grab the loose ball after Lancelot takes down the carrier. Some elfy play from the humans takes Castle Guard down, the ball throws in next to the only player left to move who grabs it from under the nose of Arthur and hands it off to a lino behind him. No reroll required ;) The Court pop the ball loose again but its behind the mass of humans and the only path is risky. Gawain has a go though but fails the second dodge with reroll. A failed pickup from the human thrower gave me another shot but the ball is in three TZs. Bedivere can chain push a human onto the ball though so he decides to snake eye his dodge to make it. Humans grab the ball pass it to the open catcher and the game is over.

79% knockdowns to 39% was an interesting stat from BBM. Didnt decide the game but a couple more knockdowns would have been helpful. My next game is going to be a waste of two hours of my life - 2.1k dark elves with no MB/tackle. FML

2. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    So yeah that game was dross.

Three casualties in first three blocks set the tone. Didnt really accomplish much in first few turns but wizard meant Castle Guard was able to nab the loose ball and pass it to Gawain who ran off but was caught and the ball went back down the end with no real problems. Failed the TTM on the throw.

A send off which didnt break armour left the carrier exposed turn 9 who was promptly KO'd. Castle Guard again rescued the situation by nabbing the ball from multiple TZs. Survived a blitz the following turn to run into the elf half but one square too far to score following turn - a problem that was resolved by chainpushing a witch into him to get the score. Final drive was a cakewalk as more first turn blocks broke armour and an early double skull left the remaining players in contact including Castle Guard who netted the coveted dead apo dead result. Lay down for the rest of the game.

BBM says 2d6 difference was +13 to elves v -17 for the UW. Dark Elves really dont need that kind of help. The fact Waleed got as many armour breaks in his first three blocks as I did for the entire game says it all really. I couldnt even get consolation by playing for fouling points as my fouls went stun, no break (SO/bribe used), no break (SO), no break (SO).

Sigh.

The chances of the Court being retired at the end of the season are now well past 50%.

3. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Hold your head high, sometimes Underworld just crumble. There will be times again when you surprise your opponents and completely crush them (or at least run stunty circles around them).

How are you finding opponents cope with Underworld in UKBBL? In the OCC, I still get a lot of "I never knew Underworld was that bashy" and "I never knew Underworld was that elvish". To me it has become second nature, and I'm seeing more plays than I used to this way, but there still seems to be a lack of experience with Underworld for many OCC coaches. I'm wondering if that will change once I get into higher tiers, and I'm also wondering how much of a difference the surprise factor (or lack thereof) makes to the chances of success.

4. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Still surprise some but the UKBBL handle their promos differently so you tend to meet coaches you've played before so a lot of them know what to expect now.

I did level Lancelot during the game so I will probably have my first clawpomber! (only took 8 seasons....). As regards the switch we'll see - the team still have a couple of playmakers (Galahad, Gawain and Bedivere). Down to one skilled goblin now which really kills my maneuverability. I havent skilled up a goblin in over a season :eek:

5. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    I eventually felt the same with underworld - brilliant fun when they work, but watching them fall apart in game after game was heartbreaking.

I took 7+ casualties in my last four consecutive games with the OCC team. I think over 40 in total for my final season, but I stopped counting after a while.

It's just not fun after a while, and the commitment to fouling a beaten opponent in the OCC and UKBBL just makes it worse (but that's another rant).

6. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    My last season in tier 3 was a bit like that, I think. I didn't keep track of the casualties, but there were plenty, and my record was pretty bad at 1-4-4 or something like that.

However, even though I got beat up a lot, the team still stayed more or less intact, so I'm going to continue, with the goal of reaching tier 2 and eventually tier 1 (I know, but a man can dream). I am feeling the lack of development on my Gobbos, though, apart from my two special cases. I've had three Gobbos sitting on 5 SPP forever, and last game one of them died, never reaching Two Heads awesomeness - I really need a game or two where I am safe enough to throw Goblin passes.

7. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Next up was the division leading Chaos. 2100 TV with no mino and no piling on but loads of tackle. With 510 inducements I took Bomber, wizard, babes and 2 bribes.

The game started out in average fashion - gobs on LOS pushed, KO'd and stunned, linerat took his hit. In return my first blitz with the clawpomber got pushes but sadly left him tied up so of course the non MB hit that followed put him out the game. Arthur then followed him off after a stamp but regen kept him in the game. This was the cue for the entire chaos team to go full contact. Wizard time. Wizard takes down the carrier and a warrior to open a sort of path to the ball but its still marked. Bomber opens fire on the remaining marker with an accurate throw but still misses him. He does hit the downed warrior who was obstructing the way through and injures him out the game through so yay :rolleyes: Galahad charges through the gap and injures off the remaining marker before continuing into the backfield. Other players screen him off before Merlin dodges away from his marker to grab the ball, complete the screen and pass to Galahad. Chaos settle for marking him but fail to surround him leaving an easy dodge free where another screen is set up for him as he dawdles outside the endzone. Chaos mark him again but next turn dodges away for the score. GALAHAD BECOMES A LEGEND!!! My first legend and its one of my favourite league players i've ever had.

The Chaos second drive starts with them being undermanned as their KO didnt return but Bomber is retained due to the bribe. He then proceeds to completely dominate the next few turns as his first bomb is intercepted by a warrior who throws it at Galahad taking him out of the game! The following turn as the Chaos sweep down the right he launches another bomb which sails to its target, taking down all three players and stunning each including the carrier. I had no one to grab it with but it left only one Chaos player able to score - the ST5 beast. I had to take a risk to get a 1d on him but it worked and he gets stunned too.

The Chaos KOs didnt return giving me a two man advantage into the second half and things were looking rosy. So for my first turn I rolled a million pushes (FACT), only took down one beast who I fouled with bomber who got ejected for his trouble. Chaos then tore through my ranks as 4 pitch removals in the ensuing three turns left me in major trouble as I just could not protect the ball and eventually coughed it up allowing Chaos to score on turn 12. With the kick going out of bounds and me set up for a heavy push down the left I had a chance to win but after Gawain got in range behind a screen it was invaded by the ST5 beast who floored Arthur and dodged through traffic to pin Gawain against the sidelines. Gawain retreated to protect the ball and tried to leave a hero play to try and win the game but found himself triple marked on the final turn. Nimueh tried to blitz a path free for him with a 1d blitz but burnt the reroll when a skull popped up so when Gawain tried to dodge he fell flat on his face. Chaos just needed a 2+ 3+ 2+ to win but failed on the last 2+ to end the game as a tie. Crazy game.

Two dead gobs were the lasting damage but since almost all my gobs are rookies no biggie. The real question now is what to take on Galahad. I'm thinking dauntless or guard - dauntless is useful when teams shove their entire team into contact and with no truly mobile gobs, dodging them away for assists is a risky business, guard needs no explanation but guard on an AV7 legend seems like i'd be asking for him to die.

8. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Grats on getting Galahad to LEGEND!!

I watched the game, it was indeed crazy, as crazy as any Underworld match should be :D

The second half must have been infuriating, though, as the Chaos got all the rolls they needed to prevent your score. I felt that it was poetic justice in the end when the roll they needed for their own score failed :p

Regarding Galahad's skill: Do you already know it's a normal skill? On a double I'd be seriously considering Dodge, I think, for protection and mobility. For a normal, I think I would prefer Horns to Dauntless, but I'm not a fan of Dauntless and don't have that much experience with it, so I'm biased. Horns is worthy of consideration, though.

9. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Was feeling oh so confident at half time with a 2 man advantage and just needing a quick score to secure a likely win. This game knows how to cut you down to size though.

Regarding Galahad it is definitely a normal. Horns was considered but I dont think its the right choice here as Galahad is not the primary blitzer now that i have a clawpomber. Dauntless will be useful with blocks and blitzes

10. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Gratz on Galahad 20

11. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    Ah just give him piling on.

12. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    You know what? I think I may just do it....

13. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
  14. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Very nice, 20p!

15. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    MD4 is an admin win as the team pulled out of the league after one game due to RL. My league admin demanded some fluff explaining how our team won the game so this was what was posted:

"Order! Order!"

Arthur rapped his tentacle on the table as he bellowed.

The room slowly quietened down and the knights took their seat. Arthur surveyed the room slowly. The familiar faces of the rat pack stared back at him. Except Galahad. He was busy engraving the round table, scratching "Galahad woz 'ere" onto the ornate surface of the Round Table. Arthur sighed. It was pointless trying to reason with Galahad. The media circus around the teams star player had inflated his ego well beyond what Arthur could handle. He was just grateful that he'd managed to separate the precocious star from his fawning fanboy, Smiley Thyrus. That guy was just weird.

His eyes strayed to the corner of the room. A pen had been set up for the teams goblin contingent. Someone had etched "fodda" into the wood of the pen. Arthur had maintained it should say "food" but it was felt that would not be good for team spirit. This used to be the liveliest section of the room but these days it was just Sir Bedivere lounging on a bale of hay wearing a ridiculously oversized top hat that kept slipping over his face and obscuring the monocle he had drawn onto his eye with a felt tip. Arthur presumed he was going for eccentric but he seemed to have sprinted past that point, dawdled around absurd before finally coming to rest at tit. He was clearly abusing his position as the only experienced goblin left on the team as the rookie scrambled over each other to service his every need. One was even licking his feet clean. Arthur noted to himself not to eat that one.

"OK boys, its nearly game time" Arthur said, "We did quite well last week, could have been a win but we wont dwell on that."

He glanced at Nimueh. "Who've we got this week?"

He instantly regretted asking her that question. Ever listened to a rat with a stutter trying to say Elite Elitists of Elitia? Its like trying to talk to a scouse. Arthur didnt know what a scouse was but they sounded pretty horrendous.

"High elves eh?" Arthur nudged Galahad, "Your favourite" Galahad surveyed Arthur as he wiped tentacle gunk off his suede jacket. "I prefer Darkstalkers boys myself. They stay down when you 'it 'em. Besides our opponents this week have cancelled."

"Cancelled?" enquired Arthur, "What kind of a team cancels on Underworld?"

"Its like this boss", replied Galahad, "We've got over a million in our coffers - I thought I'd put it to some good use. Made myself a jockstrap using some of that paper money. Wore it playing them Chaos folks last week. Nimueh here" Arthur winked at the teams thrower who was busy cleaning herself, "Nimueh gave me a selfie stick for Nufflemas. Took a great selfie after the game. That stick gave me a great shot of that jock wedged up my arse. Thought it would be funny to send the money to the elfs. You know how much they love the cash. Sent 'em the photo a couple of days later. I 'eard they've block booked the exfoliator at the Phoenix Elf Spa for the rest of the season.

Galahad grinned maliciously. "Can't think why"

16. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Its like I'm in Itchen's blog, are you in some kind of competition to make your blogs as lewd as possible ;)

17. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    The admin victory was duly handed out and today is a momentous occasion. For the first time in the history of KAC we have six leveled rats! Merlin IV, our back up thrower has now picked up block. Huzzah!

This weeks opponents should be interesting - the lizardman team of Young Nathan. They thrashed us 3-0 a few seasons back but the intervening seasons have not been kind. He is currently a saurus down (probably be replaced) and his superstar saurus is MNG. Only one other saurus with skills so its a largely rookie frontline. Not what you want when you face two claw pombers and a claw/MB troll. With bomber likely to be available (if he replaces his saurus) this game is very winnable sinc a complete lack of guard should allow me to blitz in cages with Bedivere. looking forward to this one

18. Everblue

Everblue Active Member

Country Flag:
    Famous last words when playing underworld. I predict you will be pitch cleared by turn 5.

19. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    This worries me! I had all six levelled by the end of my first season. Three games into the second I only had 2 left... Now I wonder if I'll ever get them all levelled at once ever again :)

Anyway, hooray for Merlin IV and gl :)

20. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Daylight robbery for MD5 as we did a fantastic job of grinding the lizards down to four players on the pitch.....who turned the ball over on turn 16 to score the only TD of the game. Graaaaaargh.

First half was a top notch defensive effort from the Court as through a combination of bomber and Bedivere the lizard offense was stymied even giving ourselves a 55% chance of scoring a defensive TD but it failed on the last roll. Lancelot and Galahad thinned the lizard numbers somewhat with an injury and three KOs but the final turn of the half also saw Arthur carted off the pitch with a regen fail.

KOs failed on both sides to give the Court a one player advantage which swiftly became three as the one turning skink was injured by Galahad and a Saurii KO'd by Lancelot. Nimueh hung deep with the ball and Gawain for company as the rest of the team tried to remove the lizard threats pretty unsuccesfully for the most part until about turn 12 when the removal of the tackle saurus kickstarted a string of removals to take the lizards down to the bare bones. Nimueh was being hassled by DT skinks at this point so was still rooted by my endzone but Gawain was doing a good job of helping fend them off. Merlin moved into range for a TD on turn 15, Nimueh moved up the pitch after finally ditching the skinks while the remaining gobs ran interfence. Unfortunately the unlikely prospect of the Krox marking the carrier happened with the final DT skink also marking him too. The easy option was to use the remaining gobs to open up a blitzing opportunity to chainpush Nimueh free. All it needed was a 3+ dodge with reroll and a 2+ naked dodge to make it happen (TRR available). Goblin falls flat on his face, Krox knocks over carrier, ball scatters into open, skink grabs it, hands off in TZ and dodges away from a tackler to score with no reroll. Bah.

Level up for a gob for the first time in forever but thats going to be lost in the teams misery at this kick in the balls.