1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underworld [UKBBL] The Undercheesers

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by lawastooshort, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    If you can't replace here there's no injury worth sacking one of your linerats for. Even a smashed collarbone still has them as equal in resilience to a goblin (no dodge, but no stunty either) and if you can't afford to replace her you definitely can't buy up on more goblins.

And an AG 4 rat? Well, she can still be useful, even if you might end up replacing her once you know for sure you want to (and can afford to do so)

2. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Still a keeper in my book.

3. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Thanks both - I think I've decided that too, the only AG4 on the side is worth the loss of 1 MA. It's already been useful in the two matches she's had it, although it is a shame she's only as fast as a goblin now.

4. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    David Bowie… couldn’t remember a great deal about the match. He’d had a really nice long lie down again – for nearly half the game! He’d vaguely worked out from the cheers of the crowd that quite a few of the tiny lizardthings had got bashed severely in the face, and he chuckled a bit remembering the time when a big lizardthing had run into him. They’d both fallen over, but the big lizardthing hadn’t taken the opportunity to have a nice rest. What an idiot!

I feel bad for not updating properly as David Bowie, but he can probably remember less about last week’s match than I can.

This was one of those good matches when it is nice and enjoyable, there’s a good bit of violence, the dice seem fair, and a 2-2 seems fair.

The Lizards attacked er I mean the Undercheesers kicked off first, and the Lizards advanced down our left. The lads held them off quite well until Kinjin the Coach forgot to blitz and blocked instead, leaving a gap for Shropshire Blue to two-headedly dodge in and push the ballcarrying skink off the pitch. I had two rats near where the ball landed, and I didn’t move the second one to cover it before trying to pick up as he could have scored next turn if Nancy (AG4) had managed to pick it up. She didn’t, twice, and eventually the Lizards recovered and scored. I think we had 3 turns to equalise, and did.

Second half the Undercheesers received and scored in about 4 turns – Kinjin kept the pressure on nicely to stop me be able to wait longer, although I did manage to completely surround and then surf off his sidestep skink, who got a bit damaged, so that was nice.

We were both down players for the final restart, and the Lizards received and just about managed to fight through a scrum and many goblins to equalise in the last turn.

I think this led to linerat Nancy Sinatra getting a smashed ankle and Wrestle, and I think fellow linerat Frank Sinatra picked up Wrestle for his first level up.

Then this week’s match was vs Nurgle, but the coach seems to have dropped out, I got an admin win which managed to produce no level ups. Bit disappointing to miss two games, but better for the bank balance I suppose.

Next is a top half of the league Goblin team, which will hopefully be this Friday and not too horribly brutal for me. Giving away about 200 in inducements, which is a shame because I wanted to get an extra goblin or two for the LOS…

5. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    If you have the cash to spare, going from 200 to 280 when giving goblins inducements isn't that bad.

6. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Well, I have 13 players, so I might just get one cheesegoblin in. Just got to think of a good cheese for the name.

7. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    David Bowie was delighted. He’d been thoroughly entertained by last night’s match – and could even remember most of it! Well, except the part in the first half when a giant whirling steel ball had knocked him stunned to the ground. And the other part when he was lying down for a bit. And possibly the other bit? He wasn’t sure.

What was sure was that the goblins were cracking fun to play with and against. One of his favourites, Stilton the Cheesegoblin, had… died, apparently. Bowie denied that he’d eaten him, but couldn’t recall exactly what had happened. The other side had had a fancy star goblin on a stick – Bowie grinned as he remembered Lou Reed breaking the bouncy git’s neck. And they’d had another star git – with some kind of chain sawing device. Seeing this break open Nancy Sinatra’s ribs was at least as funny as the goblin’s neck breaking.

Anyway, he was a tiny bit annoyed – not only had the Undercheesers lost, but the opposing trolls had been much better at flinging goblins through the air than David Bowie was – scoring two touchdowns with flying goblins. Also Nancy now got to have a lie down for a whole week, which seemed kind of unfair.

Well, I accidentally lost 3-1 a bit to the promotion challenging goblins, losing Nancy the Linerat for the next match, Stilton the Cheesegoblin for ever, and also having Caerphilly the new Cheesegoblin Badly Hurt out very early on, which is a nice baptism of fire, so that’s good. I felt I had some bad dice, but that can’t excuse not pulling back their 2-0 lead after getting to halftime 11-7 up on players. Sendings off and violent goblin-smashing didn’t quite pay off.

However, it was a really enjoyable game and I wasn’t going to get promoted anyway!

In the last turn I had a chance to pull another one back, but went for a hand off to level up George Harrison instead of the simple walk-in for Lou Reed, but he dropped it.

Next up is an undead team who are challenging for promotion – as long as not too many Undercheesers die I’ll be happy, but if I can get some points (or even better level ups) I’ll be happier. The week after is the final matchday – and the Underworld vs Underworld derby!

Of course, I would like to win that one.

8. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Did you realise promotions can sometimes go down to 8th in tier 4? Dropouts above often result in plenty of bonus promos

9. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    I thought down to sixth could be likely... I don't think it would be a bad thing if I stay in this tier for another season though, to get a bit more experience on me and the players. I won't be disappointed to stay down, and it'd be nice to aim for a natural top three promotion next season.

10. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    David Bowie had rarely witnessed such a display of incompetence as had been on show last night. For three consecutive turns, both his faithful Undercheesers and the fiendish undead had, one after another, sprinted so fast they fell over and smacked their face off the ground. The ball, all the while, had lain – nay, dribbled – about – harmlessly near the unprotected Undercheesers’ endzone, but eventually the whistle blew, and the Undercheesers went in for halftime cheese having successfully defended.

However, the half had gone far from smoothly. The Undercheesers had aggressively put a great deal of pressure on the enemy ball carrier, deep in the undead half, the goblins dodging through and swarming the dead git. But just as this was about to bear fruit, David Bowie himself had kind of ruined everything, stunning one of the marking goblins by throwing Shropshire Blue at him. Shropshire Blue (the Two-Headed Cheesegoblin) then spent the rest of the match Badly Hurt. Bowie wasn’t sure why Shropshire Blue had even come up to him to get thrown: he had two heads and could have dodged through the half dozen undead far easier than he could have flown over them! Eejit.

Then George Harrison the Thrower tripped up and Badly Hurt himself off – and then, then, Ray Manzarek, the freakishly strong Thrower, was sprinting to knock down the enemy ballcarrier when he tripped so hard he died! At least the doctor said he was dead, but a few minutes later he got back up, and seemed fine.

The Undead also managed to Badly Hurt someone – and in the second half one of the Cheesegoblin’s neck was broken. Whoops. But David was lying down at the time, and didn’t see which goblin got hurt, or who did it. Oh well.

It was an extremely hard-fought game – in which David Bowie got his first ever SPP by breaking a zombie – but the Undercheesers, in the end, lost 1-0 to a last minute touchdown. The lads did everything they could to stop it, but in the end three goblins just couldn’t seem to hold off a horde of mummies, wights, ghouls, and zombies. Superior strength and numbers told – one linerat was out for the match, and another Badly Hurt halfway through the first half.

I defended quite well, I think, in the first half – the pressure I put on the ball led to a difficult drive for the undead coach, although with a bit more luck he could have scored. I made one particularly noticeable error with the direction of a pushback (oh, and throwing the bloody goblin over the LOS instead of 2headed dodging through it... and hurting it off), but was quite happy otherwise – if 3 of my players hadn’t Badly Hurt themselves in the first half I wouldn’t have started the second half 11-10 on players – a gap that only grew as the undead strength and Mighty Blow began to tell.

I couldn’t get through safely on attack, but eventually managed to slip a goblin through with the ball – but had no one left to mark the last zombie who could reach him, and who took him down.

Still, apart from the goblin, no lasting injuries, and the MVP fell on George Harrison, who levels up and will take Block or Extra Arms.

Next week is the Underworld Derby for the final matchday of the season. They got slightly mangled vs Chaos last night - 1 Badly Hurt goblin, 3 KO'd goblins, and 1 KO'd troll in the first turn! And then a goblin surfed and killed a beastman!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  11. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    I seem to have got my SPP allocation wrong for the last game. Roy Orbison the Storm Vermin has in fact levelled up - and rolled 6+4 for his first skill! I think the obvious thing is to ignore that and take Mighty Blow. Possibly Tackle as my next opponent is Underworld and I am likely to stay in the division next season and see more stunty types.

Anyway - last game of the season tomorrow!

Undercheesers vs murray m's sissorhand gang - a rival (and some might say brother, until we get on the pitch) Underworld team!

He has 11 players (missing 2 skaven too) and TV1080; I have 13 players and TV 1340. I don't know if I'd take a wizard and bribe or induce the missing skaven.

12. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Yeah take the MB. I took MA8 on a rookie blitzer early in my teams history but fired him before he got too far as he brought nothing to the table.

13. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    David Bowie was victorious! He lay in a huge bed of rotting cheese, swathed in mould and his nostrils filled with the odour of delicious rancid milk visibly fermenting. He had started the day extremely confused: his friends and their cheeses had been transformed – by the power of cheese – into small furry ratmen and even smaller scurrying greenskins, so it was rather confusing to come face to face with another team of similarly furry men and green midgets.

But face to face with them he had indeed come, and it had been glorious!

There was only one band of furry men and midgets in town – and it was David Bowie’s!

That’s not to say that his peace-loving friends and cheeses had killed every last one of them: not at all. In fact, they hadn’t killed any of them. But they had seriously injured four, and knocked out 8, and had a thoroughly enjoyable time. George Harrison – who had recently forsaken his guitar in favour of spending more time being a furry ratman and throwing the pigskin – had visibly improved during the course of the game. He’d picked up the ball in the second half and run it in for a touchdown, but Bowie was getting ahead of himself.

In the first half, the Undercheesers, as David Bowie had now grown accustomed to calling his new band, had received the ball and solidly attacked. Solidly and violently. Almost the first thing that had happened, after the lads surrounded the ball, was Lou Reed rushing forwards into the sissorhands gang’s half and smashing Bomber Dribblesnot, the green midget, right in the face, knocking him out cold. The ref sent the green midget off there and then for being an eejit. The other lot fought valiantly, but it was no good, and eventually Nancy Sinatra smashed their furry ratman blitzer over to re-recover the ball and dash away, handing it off to Wensleydale the Cheesegoblin to score – and miraculously and visibly improving as he did so!

Then the sissorhands gang set up in the second half to receive. They had a troll, and the gang were trying to persuade him to loft a ball-carrier goblin into the air, and failing, as Frank Sinatra rushed round the end of their line and smashed the goblin – and the ball – to the ground. George at this point rushed in, grabbed the ball, and ran off – pausing a little to watch various green midgets kick other players in the nads whilst they lay about on the floor. Everyone likes watching green midgets kicking bigger men in the nads.

The sissorhands gang set up to have the ball kicked at them again, but their daft eejit of a thrower couldn’t pick up the ball. They only had half a team left at this point, and the lads rushed in, Nancy Sinatra bringing him crashing to the ground, and then the ball was recovered, and eventually handed off to Shropshire Blue, the two headed blessed cheesegoblin, to run in a third touchdown!

The crowd went wild, but not as wild as they went when, setting up a fourth time, the sissorhands’ troll managed to pick up a ball carrying goblin and waft him into the air, the brave fecker sailing over the Undercheesers, whose heads turned to follow his glorious flight, and landing cleanly to sprint into the endzone as the whistle blew. David Bowie couldn’t deny that this was tremendous.

A 3-1 victory against the rival Underworld team, with a level up for George Harrison the Thrower (lvl2), Wensleydale the Cheesegoblin (lvl2) and Shropshire Blue the Heroic Cheesegoblin (now lvl 3! My first level 3 goblin!)

The dice were against my opponent, but I think I also put him into difficult situations where he had to roll those dice.

Also, my two mighty blow blitzers really helped, had numerical advantage from my turn 1 blitz to the end.

Once the game’s validated I’ll try to do a post-season summary.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  14. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Meanwhile Pidpad took Mv8 early in both his blitzers careers, and swore by it. Playstyles differ. ;)

15. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    David Bowie was feeling reflective. He wasn’t sure if this was because he’d eaten 17 kilos of glowing green cheese last night (was it cheese? Or was it a sleeping goblin? Or… something else?) or because… because it was time for an end of season review!

At the very thought of this, his heart was filled with melancholy joy at what had passed and would be no more, and also a tremendous (and unexpected) eagerness for the next season to start. He’d grown fond of this weekly outing they called Blood Bowl.

Bowie had personally had an incredibly successful season. He’d eaten over 2 metric tons of cheese, and spent somewhat over half of his weekly outings lying down – thus avoiding the danger of overexerting himself, and perhaps being in no fit state to enjoy the post-game festivities.

Some of his friends had also had quite good seasons, it seemed to him – although he would willingly admit to being no expert, and indeed rather stupid when it came to Blood Bowl, he felt he was beginning to appreciate what it took to do well.

Resting, mostly.

Anyway. Two – or was it three? – of his musical friends had died or been so severely wounded that he’d had to eat them: Jim Morrison had been particularly tasty.

Now though, several of the furry feckers were looking really quite nice and plump. Roy Orbison, under his armour, was getting very muscular, whilst Lou Reed, who also hid his curves under some menacingly pointy armour, was looking both muscular and athletic.

Nancy Sinatra was looking even more nimble than ever – oddly enough, for a ratwoman with a smashed ankle.

And Ray Manzarek, who had replaced Morrison (and shown he was destined for greatness by promptly actually surviving more than one game, a feat hitherto unknown for an Undercheeser thrower), had literally and physically grown an additional 33% of muscle mass!

And then there was the cheese. Or rather the cheeses. Half a dozen of David Bowie’s favourite cheeses had grown legs and arms – the rest of the team called them cheesegoblins. Some of the cheeses had then proceeded to grow extra heads. They were very slippery cheeses. Probably quite ripe, thought Bowie.

Crikey! Season One, or rather Nineteen, is already over! I wanted to avoid being last, which I thought was a decent aim given my inexperience and the team, and I finished joint seventh, so that’s alright, even if two of the games were admin wins (they were for nearly the whole league, to be fair).

I feel I improved even as the season went on, which is very good (it’s certainly helped my performance with my non-UKBBL Underworld team, I think). I played some very good coaches, and think I gave most of the games a good shot. I beat a rival Underworld team 3-1, but my best win felt like beating a Khemri team with about 700TV more than me. I was completely outclassed by Wood Elves, unlucky against Undead, and stupidly threw away a draw against halflings (promoted in 2nd!!)

I don’t feel this thread improved as the season went on, I don’t quite have enough time to be as creative as I might like. However, the advice on this and the skill allocation thread has been really good, so many thanks.

The team is going nicely – two Mighty Blow blitzers (Lou Reed, who also has Jump Up, and Roy Orbison) are great. Frank Sinatra is a Wrestle/Tackle linerat, and Nancy is a Wrestle +AG -MA linerat. Thrower Ray Manzarek has +ST, and his brother-in-throws George Harrison has… Block, probably.

Finally I have two Two Heads goblins (goodness these are fun) – Shropshire Blue is also probably going to get… Big Hand. Or maybe Sidestep. And a third goblin has a double! I think this will be Wrestle. Wensleydale (for it is he) is only 5SPP away from Level 3.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  16. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Isnt that the very nature of advice :p

17. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Blast. Well. Got a "bonus" promotion into Barren Hills West Tier 3. I am the lowest TV of teams that range from my 1310 to the top 2180.

The teams are:

Nurgle - 2180 (relegated to the division last season)
    Lizards - 2050
    Humans - 2040
    Lizards - 1910
    Dark Elf - 1850
    Norse - 1680
    Necro - 1640
    Chaos - 1620
    Necro - 1620
    Norse - 1590
    Chaos - 1330
    Underworld - 1310

I don't know any of the coaches - it's a shame, all the other coaches from my previous season got promoted into a different division from me, and I would have liked a rematch or two.

Bearing the above in mind, I still have two level ups to take - the 2 head goblin getting a second skill, and a 1 head goblin getting a double for his first skill. They're both going to die very soon. David Bowie is sad.

I am leaning towards DP for the double. Wrestle seems more sensible but I am not confident he'll live long enough to get further skills...

My initial reaction on seeing the likelihood of death was to take Sidestep for the 2 head goblin Shropshire Blue. But I think I still prefer Big Hand.

18. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    I wouldn't worry about my poor Nurglings too much...I mean I'm back to having no tackle on the team again, and there's only 1 MB too. Still, the tentacles could prove tricky ;)

19. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    I like the DP choice. I didn't have any DP on my team before this season, but he has been quite good in a couple of matches.

As for the normal, it depends on whether you want to win matches, or survive. If you want to win matches, Big Hand is probably better, and Jump Up could also be nice. Big Hand is also great for plain fun, stealing the ball from under your opponent's nose :D

20. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Hello Mr Murphy42, and thanks Borke.

I'll go for DP, especially because I need to learn to foul more.

And I'll go for Big Hand, because although really I'd just like to survive, I'd like to have more than just surviving as a goal, if that makes sense.

I'd also like to see if i get the time to do a run down of the teams.

Let's decide I kind of have the time! At least to make a start.

Greymurphy42's MLS All-Stars: Nurgle

2190TV of 16 mouldy players! 1 rookie rotter and 2 -AVs is probably the only plus point. Haven't played Nurgle before. There's a +AG and +MV Pestigor, and a +AG, KOR, SH, Block, Fend one too. A lot of Dodge/Guard/Stand Firm on the Warriors. A lot of Guard on the rotters too.

swimjade's Children of Tiamat: Lizards
    TV1930, 14 players for now. The star looks like the Pro, Tackle, Block Kroxigor, or perhaps the Block, MG, Guard Saurus, or the +ST, +AG Skink or... GOOD GOD the +AG, +AG, Sure Hands, Sure Feet Skink. URG. Did I mention I was taking Dirty Player on my doubled goblin? Anyway, at least there's a rookie Saurus and the Sneaky Git, Side Step Skink has a Niggle. And there's not that much Tackle or MB yet.

CharlieBanks' Armoured Armadillos: Humans
    One of the minority of teams to have stayed in the division. TV2040. Have 3 times more kills than deaths suffered. 13 players - the worst is the rookie blitzer. Three POMBs including the Ogre. Two Niggles, one of them on the Level 6 Catcher. Stars are this catcher and a 311SPP blitzer who is a +AG killer...

BigAshW's Hypothermic Lacetilia: Lizards again
    TV1900, I think the bottom team to have not been relegated. I can only aspire to such heights this season. Anyway, 14 players, 2 +AG skinks including one with Sprint and Sure Feet, a Tackle, MB, Block Saurus, and a Block (Stand Firm, Break Tackle and Guard too) Kroxigor but nothing as horrible looking as the first Lizard team up there.

Sigmarplays' Stormcloud Raiders: Dark Elves
    Last one for now, stuff to do. 1760TV, 5 rerolls, 9 players, including a Niggled -AV Blitzer. There are 6 +AGs in the team and a +MV, +AV, +AV lineman. The Leap, +AG, Tackle, Block Witch looks a bit mean, as does the MB, Tackle, Dodge, -MV Blitzer, but otherwise the team doesn't look entirely optimal. Think Dark Elves are another team I've not faced yet.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014