1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underworld [UKBBL] The Undercheesers

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by lawastooshort, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Those Children of Tiamat sound like a handful - unless that mutated Skink falls over on a snakeeye and you then get to foul it off, that looks pretty much like a lost game to me. The other games will be tough, too, but Lizards with those kinds of stats, damn ... :mad:

2. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Yeah... I've only played vs lizards once, I think, and comfortably drew, but this looks decidedly uncomfortable. The dark elves look like the most promising for a result so far.

Going to try to look at the remaining teams tonight or tomorrow. Got my first ever match vs Nurgle in my private league tonight though (also with underworld) - need to win to keep in the top three with two matches left :)

edit:
    Well, won 1-0. So, back to quivering in fear at my future opponents.

Carelorum's Aurora Borealis!: Norse
    1680TV of Norse with a Break Tackle, Guard, MB Yhetee, a POMB beserker, a Guard, MB, Tackle Berseker and a Sure Hands, Dodge runner. 15 players. The one time I've played Norse as Underworld it really didn't go very well, didn't really get on with the mass of Block.

Mighty Dug's Carrion Camping: Necromantic
    1680 and 16 players - the best players I guess are a Blodge, Tackle Werewolf, 2 MB Wights, and a Blodge, Side Step Ghoul. I drew the one proper game I've played as Underworld vs Necromantic. Fortunately his zombies and Flesh Golems are all rookies. Might hope for a point here. Think he'll foul a lot and with his numbers there's little point in me doing a lot of it myself.

binarydogs' Ping Pong Tiddly: Chaos
    At around 1650TV, this Chaos team looks a bit mean at first glance. Three Mighty Blow before you get to the Piling On, Claw, Juggernaut, +AV Minotaur. I'm guessing the Tackle, MB, Block, -ST Beastman might get sacked before we start. There's a Tackle, Claw, Block, Mighty Blow Beastman. Some Guard. Nothing too terrible actually, and only 12 players at the moment. Oh - but a million in the bank.

Mansu44's Mr Kim's Barmy Army: Necromantic
    About equal with my TV, there are two MB, Block Flesh Golems, and two Blodge Werewolves amongst 14 players. Not much else to say really at the moment. Another match I might be able to get a point from. Crikey - beginning to sound a bit horrible, this season.

haree's Ragnarofl: Norse
    1550 TV, 15 players, and promoted with a pretty good record last season. Three Mighty Blow, three Guard, and a skill on every lineman! That's nice. Unlucky to get -MV on a +AG lineman. Doesn't look too bad, but again, the mass of Block might be bad for me. Also the full set of positionals. Rookie runners is possibly a weak point.

bfalcon's Random Attack: Chaos
    Well, TV1370, 12 players, two Mighty Blow, Block Warriors, a Claw, Block Beastman - could be worse. I have to be realistic and have this on my list of games to hopefully get something from.

lawastooshort's Undercheesers: Underworld
    Why won't anyone else play a weak bloody team like me? Why won't someone give me a break from the relentless stream of being bashed or fouled in the face? Ooh! Here's one! Underworld! Only TV1- ah. It's me. Bother. Well, I have two MB Blitzers, which is a start - I'd really liked to have another season in a lower division to get them PO or Claw before being up here, where they're likely to die a bit. I have two level three linemen. One of my throwers has Block, the other one has +ST. He's likely to die a bit too. A pair of goblins have a pair of heads, which is nice. I should think everyone will be looking at an underexperienced coach with an underworld team and thinking 3 points and multiSPPs. Having just looked at all the teams, my aim will be to get relegated with enough players left to not have to start again, but perhaps I'll be feeling more positive in a month or two...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  3. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Help! Any advice? First match tomorrow night vs the the TV1850 Dark Elves Stormcloud Raiders. That's TV1850 before the level up on the Witch and the two loners, so let's call it 2000. Loads of stat-ups but no +ST, at least.

I'm at 1420, 13 players, and 190k in the bank.

I think I should probably buy 1-2 goblins to make sure I can foul.

So I'll have about 600k inducements. Wizard and...?

Possibly buy just one more goblin, get a wizard and bomber and Morg?

Apart from the inducements, I'm really not sure how to approach this.

4. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Punch the loners and any without dodge, foul anything that sniffs the ground, use wizard on any clump of five or more elves (four at a stretch) and try to make them at least remember you? ;)

5. Borke

Borke Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Borke
    Country Flag:
    Wizard, Bomber and Morg sounds decent. Bomber can still hurt elves, just make sure not to aim at them, but in front of them, so they can't catch or intercept. Apart from that, aim for 3d blocks with Morg and Troll, and once you get any elf on the ground, stomp on it hard!

Try to hold the Wizard as long as possible to keep the Elves spread out on their drive(s), go for player removal first, scoring is secondary :D

6. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    That is precisely how I play underworld. Hit and foul stuff as much as possible for the first quarter. Actually play the ball for the second and third then defend for your life

7. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Bother, miscalculated and will probably only have 590 in inducements without buying an extra goblin, which will leave me with Morg and Wizard (and 14 players to 11).

Not sure how else to spend it all really, unless I sack the the 1 AC I have, and the 1 cheerleader, to get 610 inducements, and then get wizard, 3 bribes, apothecary, and bomber. Since I rarely get full use out of bribes I don't know if this is optimal.

Will go with Morg very probably, just don't like how expensive he is. Perhaps there will be more star players for underworld in BB2...

edit:
    Bloody hell. I am moderately frustrated that the first ever game I've had lose connection dropped in my Turn 15 when I was about to go 2-1 up against a vastly superior team.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  8. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Your side or his side?

9. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    I've no idea how to tell... Rescheduled for next Monday.

10. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    The team that won with a 2TD (or more) margin was the one that didn't drop connection.

So if the result (before reset) said that you won 3-1, then he dropped, and if it said the opposite, you dropped.

11. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Oh - I'm fairly sure when it happened there wasn't a result and it went straight back to the lobby... The replay gave me a 2TD margin though when I watched it back.

I hope the rescheduled match does too :)

12. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Watched replays will always give you the win, since from the view of the watched replay you are still there ;)

13. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    I thought that might be the case ;)

14. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Lost the replay 1-0, should have drawn but made a couple of annoying mistakes including a misclicked attempt at a dodging troll. Bother. Will try to find the time to write up properly but I have an important question before facing Necromantic tomorrow, with one of my MB blitzers out MNG.

I can induce a wizard and a mercenary blitzer. What skill should I give him? I think MB, but am considering Tackle as he has 5 players with dodge (a wight, both ghouls and both wolves).

Any opinions? Thanks!

15. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Again, will have to find time over Christmas to do a write up. Drew 2-2 with Necromantic last night. They killed a +AG Wrestle linerat, a +STR thrower, and a Block thrower. Was close to a win but now the team is horribly mangled, 320 TV of positionals dead in one go :( Knew I was promoted a season too early, but goodness.

16. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Yeah that's a game to forget, ugh happens to everyone sooner or later but always hurts.

17. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Yes a painful start to the season - I was so close to 6 points from two games but instead I have 1 and half my rats are dead... Which is kind of how I expected it all to go anyway :)

18. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Well, in-laws put paid to hopes of updating properly over Christmas. Gah. So, to avoid getting massively overdue with updates, I will cut and paste my UKBBL post from my latest 2 games, against a fairly murderous Chaos team. Regret losing 1-0 to the Dark Elves even harder now (after I was probably going to win the disconnected first attempt) as I’d be within around 5 points of safety from relegation… As it is I’m on 4 points after 3 games – and 4 deaths too… All my skilled linerats and throwers are gone.

Matchday 2 against the Necromantic team Mr Kim's Barmy Army:
    Well. If my no-reroll 1d blitz on the ball carrier had not been a skull in Turn 7, and if Mansu's wolf had failed his no-reroll pick-up in Turn 16, that could have been 2-1 to the Undercheesers.

As it was, it was a vicious 2-2 draw in which Mansu killed a thrower, a +ST thrower, and a +AG linerat. RIP Ray Manzarek and Nancy Sinatra: we'll miss you for at least several matches, because the gaffer doesn't have enough euros to replace you just yet. (NB: I actually had just enough!)

Worse than that, I didn't even get to do a single foul, as I was short on numbers from Turn 1. I did get a really quite nasty fireball though, which broke a wight's (?) neck...

Well played Mansu and good luck for the rest of the season.

The Undercheesers' pre-season aim of getting relegated with enough of a team to get promoted is looking less and less likely... It was a season too soon!

Matchday 3 against the Chaos team Ping Pong Tiddly:
    Oh goodness. 3-0 to the Undercheesers!

Paid a slight price for the win though - a blitzer out next game and linerat Frank Sinatra joins Nancy as fresh food for David Bowie the troll. Fourth death in two games... Still, Bowie managed to finally reach level 2 after 12 games.

First half the Underworld received. Spent most of the time probing to find a way through that only mostly scared my er the lads' pants brown, eventually running in the score on the left in Turn 7. I have to say I was slightly aided by binary's Turn 6 or 7 accidental end turn click, but with a bit of luck I think I would have got through anyway.

In Turn 7 binary received but a riot moved it on to Turn 8, killing his chance of equalising.

Then Chaos set up for their second half drive, and there's a blitz! The Underworld blitz a beastman over and mark up the probable ball carriers with goblins - not enough goblins are taken down, and when the Chaos fail the pick-up, a wizard breaks the failed ball carrier's jaw and eventually a goblin picks it up and scores.

Chaos set up again in about Turn 11 - oh, I forgot to mention that by this time I've Badly Hurt two beastmen off, and Chaos have got... about 5 casualties? 7 KOs? And are about to kill poor Frank. And it was snowing all match. Anyway, they set up, but I have a good go at their cage - eventually the beastman ball carrier hands off to another beastman (under pressure from David Bowie) who makes a break for it with 2 Chaos Warrior for company. But Lou Reed - underworld Blitzer - succeeds two snowy go for its to blitz the ball carrier down, and then a Big Hand Two Hand goblin sneaks in and steals the ball from under the noses of the 2 chaos warriors!

He then runs like feckery down the pitch, and scores a third! (NB: I think I should have instead risked a hand off to my 13SPP goblin – the game was won… but I’ve never won a competitive game with Underworld by 3, I think)

Crikey.

Good game binary, I felt the dice were with me at points, except those points I was getting massacred for a second game in a row. I'm hoping the team can survive...

Good luck for the rest of the season!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  19. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Matchday 4 against the Chaos team Random Attack (BFalcon) - 2-1

David Bowie was amazed. Not a single one of his friends had died last match! He couldn't remember the last time that hadn't happened, although that was saying much. The cheese within him had recently grown much stronger, and was manifesting itself in the form of giant claws of pure Parmesan spuming their way out of his fists. Sometimes he licked them a bit when he was curling up to sleep, to comfort himself.

It was unfortunate, he supposed, that Sammy Davis Jr seemed to somehow break his neck on that minotaur's fist, but he'd live. Probably not for long though, as with a neck as crooked looking as that, it kind of hurt Sammy to move gracefully now, so his new job was probably going to be to stand at the front and get smacked in the face a lot. David Bowie hoped he'd remember to save Sammy D some sympathy cheese. Perhaps he'd like to lick his claws.

The match itself was tremendous fun, but very tiring. Bowie had hardly had a single lie down, until the very end, when someone tripped him up and then half a dozen horned beast things stomped on his gonads until he passed out from the pain. Pretty unsporting that - normally Bowie liked a good gonad-crushing, it showed a good bit of respect, but recently the lads had spent so much time getting killed that they'd had little time to show respect back, and it was pretty unsporting to show respect when your opponent couldn't repay the gentlemanly act by stomping on your groin themselves.

It made perfect sense to Bowie, anyway.

He'd had numerous personal highlights- he'd smashed the minotaur unconscious early on, and flung a cheesegoblin through the air that didn't die. The gobbo didn't do anything useful, either, but that was by the by.

He'd watched in gleeful amazement as his favourite cheese, Shropshire Blue, dodged through the enemy lines with the aid of his second head, which spotted the trips and kicks aimed his way, and snatched up the ball with his massive hand (Bowie had heard rumours, mostly started in his own head, that said hand was entirely made of cheese... hmmm...) from under the overwhelmed noses of the Chaos gits (one of whom had been knocked over by a mystery bolt of lightning, it was true) and scampered off to score what Bowie had come to learn was known as a Defensive Touch Down.

Shropshire Blue had scored another a little while later, and then the lads, leaving the pitch quicker than cheese left David Bowie's fridge (to get to an eatable temperature of course, not to be eaten), just had to hang on for the win.

Chaos had scored, and nearly scored again when the started playing before the ref's whistle after their score, but it all worked out in the end.

Another Chaos team beaten, this time with nothing terrible happening except a broken neck, and an unlikely 7 points from 4 games! Probably only need another 5 to avoid relegation, I reckon.

Unfortunately no level ups - both throwers and both linerats are still rookies, and I only have 40k in the bank. I need a game or two without casualties and with decent winnings rolls... But I've got another 6 matches of being repeatedly smashed in the face, so that's probably not going to happen.

edit: Shropshire Blue, my two heads big hand goblin, is my most experienced player now... bit worrying. Need to get Roy Orbison and the other near-levelling goblins some SPP...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  20. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Urg – hard to find time to keep this up to date when work and children are so busy.

MD5 was against another Necromantic team, and the match was what seemed to me a typical bad Underworld match, and I didn’t play well enough to overcome it.

I got outnumbered, newish thrower And McCartney levelled up and then died a bit (I was down one linerat from kick off due to MNG already) and lost 2-0, having just about managed to stop a third with mostly goblins and a mostly Really Stupid Bowie the Troll.

It’s a bit disheartening to lose when you feel like there was nothing you could really do, but as I said, I don’t think I was on good form anyway.

Next up in MD6 is lizards with some 5 developed Saurus (I have no Claw yet) and at least 1 +AG skink (all my Tackle is dead). Don’t expect much, I have to say.