1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underworld [UKBBL] The Undercheesers

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by lawastooshort, Sep 12, 2014.

1. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Drew 1-1 against Lizards on Matchday 6. I think it was a good result without Claw or Tackle.

Blitzer Roy Orbison added Claw to Mighty Blow; Cheesegoblin Caerphilly grew another head; Cheesegoblin Cheshire added Horns to his second head.

I have a slight question though!

I have five levelled goblins (plus 2 rookies who MNG) - and none for the LOS. But I only have 90k in the bank! I have one AG2 linerat who can go on the LOS - but who else should go on LOS duty?

(for my next game vs TV2100 Nurgle it will probably be Morg and a merc or something...)

2. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    I think you'll find the All-Stars are sitting at 2290 currently ;) Which means you've only got to work out how to spend 1.03 million in inducements...which some of could be spent on merc goblins for the LOS

3. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Putting Morg on the line against Nurgle is asking for him to be clawed out of the game on turn 1.

4. Raveen

Raveen Member

Country Flag:
    Bomber Dribblesnot is cheaper than a merc Goblin...

In terms of general linefodder I'd suggest a 2 heads gobbo. He's got the best chance of not getting knocked down and a good chance of dodging away once play starts up.

The Latest Orca-Cola Cast covered Underworld so you could always check that out.

5. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Oh, I wasn't definitely going to put him on the LOS, but then this Nurgle have no Claw anyway.

Ha! Hello. Yes, he is budgeted for anyway. Think it will be rookie merc goblins on the LOS as they are cheaper and only need to get hit...

6. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Bomber costs 60k, Merc gobbo 70k. But if the Merc gobbo survives more than one drive he becomes cheaper. (But less boomy)

7. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Less boomy is often good though. Last time I fielded him the same flesh golem intercepted and threw back the bomb twice. The second time it hit the bomber and strained his groin off.

Edit: oh, I meant cheaper than giving them a skill. Anyway.

8. greymurphy42

greymurphy42 Member

Country Flag:
    The trouble with Bomber is all the disturbing presence though, which obviously makes it more likely he's going to blow himself up.

9. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Yeah… this wasn’t really much of a problem as in the first half when Nurgle received, Bomber was in my Endzone rather than off the pitch and on the list of reserves, so I didn’t see him and didn’t field him, completing forgetting I could. When I did field him on my drive in the second half, grey got a blitz and KO’d the eejit before he’d even lit a bomb. Not my best use of 60k.

Anyway, for my 1030k inducements I took an apothecary (only used one, so a waste), a bribe (didn’t really get to foul, so I used it on the KO’d Bomber who didn’t wake up, so a waste), a wizard (who knocked down the tentacles stand firm ST5 thing marking my ball carrier, so not a waste), Morg, a thrower, and a LOS goblin (who died, so totally worth the money. Did he die on Turn 1?). Would have been nice to have better options.

Nurgle received, and scored in about 4-5 turns after a riot on kick off. I had 3 turns left, but couldn’t make it through. I think I failed a GFI or dodge or something on the way to getting players in position on my Turn 7, and grey defended as stoutly as you’d expect, and with no mistakes to pounce on.

Then Underworld received, and there was a blitz, leading to the aforementioned massive Nurgle Warrior marking the ballcarrier. He got lightning bolted down and the thrower escaped, but I didn’t have the strength to take more than 4(?) turns scoring.

1-1 and 4 turns left for Nurgle to take the win – they got into position to cage up and advance, but the AG4 Pestigor couldn’t pick the ball up! Unlike a 2 headed big handed goblin, who was soon joined by Morg and another goblin, I think. I was halfway in the Nurgle half, but couldn’t get enough players to protect the ball, and then dodged a goblin away from Penile Warts, a nearby Nurgle Warrior, who blitzed and got his tentacles on the ball. So I couldn’t pick it back up and escape, and eventually the ball was cleared, and grey got his MA8 Pestigor near my endzone. I had a last ditch chance to dodge-dodge-GFI-1d blitz with blitzer Lou Reed, but snakeeyed the first dodge.

Nurgle comfortably won 2-1, but the lads took no permanent injuries, which I really needed to get the squad looking slightly healthier. I've now got enough to replace a blitzer should one die...

10. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    So Matchday 8 was against Hypothermic Lacertilia, the lizards at the top of the division. I induced a Morg, wizard, bomber and apothecary.

He scored quickly in two or three turns after a one turn riot, and I just couldn’t quite get through the line of saurus and the one particular block/dodge/sidestep/diving tackle skink to equalise in the first half.

That left me playing for the draw in the second half, and I spent the whole of the drive zig-zagging up the pitch looking for a gap. In the end I had to run for it in turn 15, but couldn’t quite get the ball carrier safe, and didn’t get through. 1-0 to the lizards.

I think my opponent was BigAshW, and he defended very solidly. He got enough of my players off the pitch to make it quite difficult for me – I had no Tackle for the skinks, and limited Claw for the sauruses.

We mourn the loss of Caerphilly, whose posthumous MVP took him to 15 points.

11. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Well I lost the last game of the season 2-1 to the 2nd placed Human team. Although no one died, a blitzer and level 3 goblin are out for the first game of next season.

I don’t think I played very well, my attack lacked focus and defending against all that Guard and Tackle and POMBing was a bit hard. Didn’t know whether to spend the masses of inducements on Morg and a single loner to get killed on the LOS, or several loners to get killed on the LOS. Went for more loners, which was probably wrong but had worked well for (completely different situation alert) for my Vampires at the weekend.

Now I need the team below me to not win for the Undercheesers to stay up and spend another season suffering in Tier 3.

Relegation back to Tier 4 might actually be a good thing so the non-blitzer skaven can get built up a little, but then I had at least a skill on both throwers and both linerats at the start of the season. They all died, more than once.

Still, Ray Orbison’s Claw/MB claimed my first kill in 2 seasons, I think, and the other blitzer Lou Reed reached level 4 with a casualty.

Slightly dispiriting end to the season, but probably about expected performance given my experience and the team, I think.

12. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    I’ve not done terribly well at keeping this up to date for a month.

Perhaps the joy of not being relegated and getting an unlikely win vs Chaos Dwarfs in the first match of the new season will spur me on to better!

So – I finished one place out of the relegation zone last season – a season that was very tough with a lot of death and serious injury.

Season 21 started with a match vs Chaos Dwarfs, and with #2 blitzer Ray Orbison out MNG. I replaced both my linerats who had matching –AG injuries. I had a wizard and blitzer induced for the game, which started quite well – I won the casualty war for the first 10 turns (but lost the KO battle) and through a failed GFI and judicious lightning bolt managed to get a defensive touchdown in turn 8, also taking his +AG hobgoblin out the game badly hurt with Lou Reed’s POMB. It was Lou Reed’s first game with PO and he got 2 (+1 apothecaried BH?) casualties, and targeted a lot.

Second half I nearly messed up as I slightly forgot what team I was playing and attacked too obviously and heavily down one flank, which left the switch back to the other side under-protected. But long complicated story short my three armed and two headed gobbo Red Leicester grabbed the ball from between two bullcentaurs and then managed 3 dodges past a Chaos Dwarf Blocker and 2 GFIs to make it 2-0. He later got MNG’ed.

The Chaos Dwarfs scored one back and killed my favourite goblin Shropshire Blue – one big hand, two normal heads, and 3 SPP from Level 4. The apothecary only managed to kill him again.

Tonight I have MD2 against a 270+ TV Norse team. I’ve not done too well against Norse with underworld and often feel a bit helpless against all the Block. Tonight’s is a rematch from last season where we drew 2-2 in a good-humoured and violent game which I drew in Turn 16 with a goblin thrown through the pouring rain. Their star threat is a block/dodge/sidestep/skill-choice-pending runner who was a pain last season – they also have a POMB-something blitzer I think. I have both blitzers available, but neither of my ball-handling goblins.

13. lawastooshort

lawastooshort Member

Cyanide Username:
    lawastooshort
    Country Flag:
    Another month's delay, another update...

I think I’ve drawn and lost against Humans and drawn and lost against Necromantic in my last 4 games, which is a disappointing 1-2-2 for the season.

I have 3 two headed goblins, which is very useful, but one is dirty player, which I very rarely use – disappointing.

Having a lot of problems getting my linerats/throwers skilled up – I don’t want to lose games too much and get relegated, so when in a squeeze I’ve more often turned to the goblins to score. Don’t think I’ve had any rats die yet this season though.

David Bowie, the troll/totemic leader of the team, is doing nicely as a pest with Claw and Stand Firm.

But the best part is the storm vermin who are both doing very well this season. Lou Reed got Jump Up, then Mighty Blow, and then for the last game of last season added Piling On. His casualties have started ticking over more regularly now and I plan for him to get Claw then Tackle. And Roy Orbison, who hasn’t had Claw for that long, has just reached level 4 and Tackle. He’s probably getting Horns or Guard or something else for the next two skills.

I’ll steal the last match report from Disco Stupac’s post on the UKBBL forum:

Sudenhaben Screamers 1 - 1 Undercheesers
    This was a very good game, with the Screamers stretched to their limits but, for once, holding on to get something from the game by the skin of their teeth.

The humans started off like a train, knocking goblins out, but their ball handling skills initially deserted them and slowed down the opening. although eventually the gap was prised open and Schnell and Kristoff combined to open the scoring. The worst thing for the humans was losing team captain Alan of the Northern Hills to injury early on - already missing 'Psycho' Piers to an injury suffered against the Black Death in the previous game, this left the team short on blitzers.

The heat then took its toll on the already depleted Screamers, keeping a third blitzer Steffen Gerhardus out of the next drive, leaving the Screamers perilously light on defensive might - particularly with Waz Rughni tied up in a personal duel with Morg 'N' Thorg, guesting for the Undercheesers, with Rughni putting up a decent fight but coming off second best most of the time (and spending large chunks of time on the floor as a result). Despite a valiant effort, a warp-lightning bolt took down Schnell and left the way open for the Undercheesers to equalise.

The second half remarkably saw the Screamers hold off their warped opponents despite being significantly outnumbered, with Nobby Trombone cementing his place in the hearts of the Screamers fans (yes, all four of them) with a tenacious display to throw back in the teeth of those who suggested that the permanent injury he sustained late last season would spell the end to his career, proving that nimble footwork was sufficient to make up for reduced strength (not that good old Nobby was ever renowned for strength anyway). With all remaining hands put to the task, somewhat remarkably the score was prevented despite numerous strong efforts by the Undercheesers, although when the ball was finally rescued the Screamers were no longer able to capitalise due to every single still mobile member of the team being way back in their own half with only seconds to go.