1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underworld Underworld Mutations

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by HC Vanselow, Sep 12, 2014.

1. HC Vanselow

HC Vanselow Member

Country Flag:
    Seeming I've played both Goblins and Skaven as individual
    squads, I'm thinking of fielding an Underworld team and was
    wondering something relating to mutations.

I know that they're into the Warpstone so seriously that they
    probably sprinkle it on their food like it was pepper, but what
    roll is required for them to gain access to the Mutations table
    when leveling up ???

2. Marms

Marms New Member

Country Flag:
    Normal rolls give them access to mutations, this is what makes goblins so good after one level up as with two heads you can start dodging anwhere on a 2+

3. HC Vanselow

HC Vanselow Member

Country Flag:
    Is it the same deal for the Troll ???

4. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    Yep mutations on a normal roll for the Troll as well.

But don't start dodging with two heads....wait for break tackle....:D It's 2+ into TZ then...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  5. HC Vanselow

HC Vanselow Member

Country Flag:
    From experience, how do the Underworld teams
    perform in League play ???. I'm looking at maybe
    starting a team with the 1 Troll, 2 Thrower, 2 Storm
    Vermin, 2 Linerats and perhaps 6 Goblins to round
    things out, but am trying to get a feel for them as
    I have played Goblins and Skaven, but never in a
    chaotic cocktail like Underworld.

6. PaloLV

PaloLV Member

Cyanide Username:
    PaloLV
    Country Flag:
    They are an under dog team that has the potential to obliterate anyone if things go their way and their inducements work out. Also, teams that don't respect them enough can get a rude surprise. However, if the opponent plays carefully and the dice break even they are generally screwed.

The troll has a lot of good skill choices even without a double and they can develop the best blitzers in the game IMHO. MV 7 with block to start and easy access to mutations means a tackle claw POMBer with Horns and Juggs while being faster than a chaos beastman.

7. St Cloud

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:

I think a good argument could me made for the Necro Wolf... but i would say its close.

8. PaloLV

PaloLV Member

Cyanide Username:
    PaloLV
    Country Flag:
    UW blitzer; 7338 with block for 90k
    takes MB, Claw, PO, Tackle, Juggs, and Horns all on normal rolls for 210k total. If he gets a double maybe put in Jump Up instead of Juggs but not critical. You could even play a max protect version by substituting Grab for PO so that Grab + Juggs means unless it's a double skull he can always safely retreat from his target unless he's marked by someone else, too. Grab + Juggs also means no one is safe from getting surfed either.

NEC Wolf; 8338 with claw and frenzy and regen for 120k
    needs a double to take any of MB, PO, or Juggs and always follows up due to frenzy which can be really really bad
    but to match the UW blitzer we'll say he gets doubles when he wants so...

Block, MB, PO, Tackle, Jump Up, and Dodge or Dauntless for 260k

The Necro wolf can be great if he gets enough doubles or stats. The UW blitzer is great without getting any doubles or stats. I think the UW blitzer is better with Horns being the difference along with easy strength skill access and he's 50k cheaper. I don't think it's close at all.

9. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    It's certainly true that "pound for pound" the UW blitzer is the better killer. The advantage that the Necro wolf has though is that his team mates are much better suited to protecting him and while Frenzy is very double-edged, it does generate more knock-downs and provides sideline control.

10. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    What's ridiculous is how good beastmen are, the cheapest by far for the cost of -MA compared to the uwd blitzer, with a team well suited to protecting them, and full of replacements so you don't have to worry too much about protecting them.

11. St Cloud

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    Exactly. And PO while it is an absolute kill skill it has own problems. It can only be used if you drop your oppenent and well obviously you are down.
    If you reduce the blitzers role to beeing a killer the strength access of the Underworld Blitzer wins the day. If you however feel a Blitzer has other roles as well and is useful when he is opening holes and helping control the pitch by terrorizing the sidelines for instance i feel the necro wolf can hold his own.

12. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I'd say that pestigors/beastmen make the best killers.

They start with horns instead of block , have regen and the rest of the team is generally built to support that play style.
    Against AV7 berserkers are easily the best as they start with block , jump up and frenzy.

However if you just want to blitz rather than kill then the wardancer is the only player that can hit anybody anywhere.

13. NieA7

NieA7 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    NieA7
    Cyanide Username:
    Under7
    Country Flag:
    Beastmen are insanely good players for 60k. Their long term potential is the main reason chaos get horribly overpowered at high TV, though I can't really think of a way of nerfing them without crippling the side altogether. Maybe take away strength skills but leave mutation and general. Pestigors are less of a problem thanks to their limited numbers.

14. mrpier

mrpier Member

Beastmen don't have regen, just the pestigors. I've played a fairly succesful chaos team recently in RPS DoD and I've must have lost on average one beastman a match to injuries/deaths and I would love to have had regen on them :). Granted the competition have been quite bashy.