1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vampire: Team Edward

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Steve, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Steve

Steve New Member

Started with 2 Vampires, 9 Thralls, 5 Re-rolls, 7 Fan Factor.

First game vs. Dwarves (I win 1-0): +1 Fame, 70k winnings

First half: Dwarf player received the kick and chanced a one-die block early in turn one. When this failed (and again on re-roll), I got a chance to pop the ball loose. We fought over it for a while - the pile was very tight and there was a lot of chain pushing. Since I was on the outside of the pile, I mostly controlled this and was able to score the TD when the ball finally bounced out of the pile.

Second half: I had a thrall w/5 spp (CAS+TD), so I had him pick up the ball. He rolled out to the side and tried to throw downfield to a Vampire, but fumbled (and again on the re-roll). So another pile developed on the sideline. This one was also going well - I crowd-pushed a runner and a blitzer. But then I got greedy - I tried to pull a Vampire from the center of the field to let me push the last runner into the crwod. The Vampire failed the bloodlust (which I rerolled), and then the dodge roll (2+). This left the last runner free to dodge out and pick up the ball. I caught him before he scored, though, and the game ended 1-0.

Second Game vs. Orcs (I win 1-0): +2 Fame, 90k winnings

First half: I receive the kick, try to run left (with the same thrall as in the last game). The orcs are too strong, so we cross field and throw a completion to a Vampire who runs down the right side. My vampire dodges and pushes his way to a touchdown. He receives the next kick deep. I get between the ball and the LOS, but he passes over me and runs with a blitzer. We chase him down and he rolls a skull on the one-die block to try to get the ball free and casualties himself.

Second half: He gets the ball and cages up. I hypnotic gaze my way in and pop ball loose. The rest of the half is almost a comedy show - possession changes every turn, but neither one of us can keep the ball from the other. He eventually has the upper hand, but I've tied up all his potential receivers and the clock runs out.

The winnings have been almost ridiculously good and I am now in possession of an apothecary and a third Vampire. I have a thrall missing the next game.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. Steve

Steve New Member

Development choices - advice welcome

In my first game, no one skilled up.

After game two, I have:
    A thrall with 10 spp (2 MVPs), rolled double 5's.
    A thrall with 6 spp (TD, CAS, Comp), normal skill.

My team has 3 vamps, 9 thralls, 5 rerolls, 8 fan factor.

For the normal skill Thrall, I'm leaning toward Kick; should I take Wrestle instead?

For the double 5 Thrall, I'm leaning toward Dodge, but should I consider any of the following instead?

Guard - it's just awesome, but it's easy for the opponents to deal with, since he's AV7 with no block/wrestle/dodge. On the bright side, he's pretty close to another skill (presumably block).

Leader - 6 re-rolls might be overkill, but re-rolls are nice to have, and this is the most efficient way to get another, TV-wise. But then what do I take as his next skill and am I getting my money's worth out of that one?

+MV - the team has had to chase down opponents with the ball in both games. Extra move would be helpful for that. But Dodge might be just as useful for this purpose.

Is it worth thinking about Side Step or Stand Firm? Am I thinking about this too much? I can just take Wrestle.

The team has been pretty effective againt bashy teams (Dwarves and Orcs), but they didn't have any Guard yet. We will probably be playing Skaven and High Elves at some point.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  3. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    Kick is a solid choise. On the double I think I would take the guard, your wamps need other skills to start with so you will be shorthanded guard wise.

4. Murkglow

Murkglow Member

For your first guy I agree with your two choices (Kick or Wrestle) and to me there isn't a "better" choice between the two. Kick is good but Vampires are not really fast enough to abuse the advantage as well so it loses a little value. Wrestle is of course very nice for most purposes.

For your second guy (the double) I'd go with Guard. Sure he's a bit fragile but just don't leave him in contact with enemies (move him into assist then knock the guys he's touching away from him) and he should do ok, plus this early guard is excellent. Few other teams have it so you can really abuse it for a strength edge in your early games.

5. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Nice to see you took the two Vampire and seven Fan Factor route, have you tried it before? What is your feedback on it, seemed to get a lot of raised eyebrows in the Vampire Starting Roster article comments. I notice it netted you a +2 FAME in the second match, did it have any bearing on the kick off table in the games so far?

Kick or Wrestle either could be good, I'd get Kick though. Sure Vampires aren't as fast as other teams but you can create holes where other teams can't. A shallow kick even against bashing teams can work as they aren't usually best positioned for a short kick and if they can get it in a cage, then you should be able to get a blitz on the ball anyway.

I'd also take Guard on the doubles roll, obviously you will want to try and get him up to the next skill asap though.

6. Steve

Steve New Member

Reasonably happy about starting with 7FF

At this point, I'm reasonably happy about the 7 FF. Had I not started with 7 FF, I would probably have started with another Vampire. But to be honest, two was enough - they are awesome, but they're also a bit unwieldy. Had I lost my first two games (or had one of the vampires had been injured), I might feel differently.

In the game against the dwarves, I only got +1 fame, which I would've had a nearly 50% chance of getting without any fan factor. And there were no kick-off results where fame mattered.

In the game against the orcs, I got +2 fame, and we rolled a 6 in the first half and an 8 in the second half, so I netted two rerolls out of it. Just as important, though, was the fact that I denied my opponent extra re-rolls. The orc player ran out of rerolls early in each half, and this was very important to my win (I had re-rolls left at the end of each half anyway, but having extras meant I got to try a few things I might not otherwise have tried).

I also probably have 20k more money than I would have if I hadn't taken the fan factor. This means I can now buy a third vampire, but that just puts me even with what I would've had if I hadn't taken the fan factor. And having rolled a 5 and a 6 on the winnnings rolls, I have to treat this team as an outlier in terms of winnings anyway.

One attraction to starting with just two vampires was the hope that I would have a bunch of skill rerolls by the time I got a third vampire. As it is, that turns out not to be the case (looks like I'll probably have one thrall with Kick and one with Guard), and my "extra" thrall is missing my next game.

My starting roster raised some eyebrows in my league, too. So far, so good. :)

If I were to play another Vampire team, I might try starting with 3 vampires just to see how it compares, but I can't complain about how the team has performed so far.

7. maxcarrion

maxcarrion Active Member

Country Flag:
    Nice, I have to agree Kick or Wrestle and Guard or Dodge would be my picks for skills too with Kick & Guard probably edging out the other choices, guard is just too useful, especially this early on, his low AV can be worked around. Guard is a particularly useful skill to protect the guy going into the cage, marking up both adjacent cage corners leaves them struggling to push away the vampire in their midst until they pick up guard too.

8. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    That reroll denial on the Kick Off table can be huge if it means the other team runs out and like you said having plenty yourself gives you more options. You can take more "risks" and a string of rolls that succeed can make your opponent think you are lucky when it is really down to being able to spare a reroll if one fails. That psychological advantage can be massive against certain players.

9. Barninho

Barninho Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I just played with vamps on line for the first time and unsurprising lost 1-0, but I went with the two vamps and I have to say blood-lust was hardly an issue. The only problem was that the opposition was experienced enough to target thralls rather than Vamps which really limited my options when I went down to five players, and it was only then that he scored. I can definitely see the benefits of the starting roster and the game could easily have gone the other way. Also have a thrall with Kick now. Opponent was also calling me lucky, and at the end of the first half I had a reroll left.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010