1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visionaries - Team Blog

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Citizen Nev, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    Hi my vertically-challenged brethren

Behold, The Visionaries

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    MD4 Done and another win for the Dwarfs :D

I was giving up 740k of inducements and Hawca took 2 rerolls (His roster has 0 normally ) Extra Apoth, Wizard and Jordell Freshbreeze.

I won the toss, elected to kick and put the roller out to entice them into a quick TD and go for the 2-1 grind. Some early blocks were exchanged but on turn 2 a hand off to Jordell failed and the ball was lose in the midfield. A scuffle ensued with elves and dwarves swapping possession but unable to run clear. At one point the Wizard was used and he MNG'd my +1 agi runner .

An inaccurate pass to a deeply placed wardancer meant Darkstorm had to run back, pick up the ball and stay upright. Having +1 str, block and fend helped but he still needed some sexy dodging to get the ball to safety. In the end he was able to run up the sideline as the elves started to fall to the floor (only stuns :-( ) and with 2 GFI just crept over on turn 8

With no Wizard and a quick pick up and cage Hawca realised getting the ball was all but impossible. He bogged me down with TZ marking and the cage ground to a halt, but due to some punching some KO'ing and some player protection fouling Darkstorm finally got free of elves and scored in T16.

I wouldn't say it was a comfortable 2-0 win as there were hairy moments but, despite my players' inability to hurt eleves (Only 3 Cas, 2 from the crowd) we got the win we needed to keep us top.

P.S. Roller got Ko'd turn 2, I still love it though

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  3. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Welcome to the site, Citizen Nev :)

It'll be interesting to see how your Dwarves hold up in the long-league format. Going on paper alone, you might expect them to begin to struggle as they approach higher TV due to their poor stats and the emergence of Claw teams. But with widespread Strength access, there's still plenty of useful skills to take all the way through development. A Dwarf team that's filled up with Guard, Stand Firm and Mighty Blow remains a frightening prospect to any team, I'm sure.

4. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    Thanks John,

I agree the long game is hard for Dwarves who are quick starters but suffer later on. I'm trying as much as possible to us my doubles to optimise my players into undertaking slightly different roles, hence my +1 MV blocker.

Still things are looking good for promotion as long as I don't suffer a 2nd half of the season collapse

5. Altashheth

Altashheth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Let's hope my watch get some claw before we face :)

6. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    :eek:

Thought there were no bbtactics guys in my group!

7. Altashheth

Country Flag:
    Just the one :)

The way things are going with my watch I'll be no where near developed enough to give you a serious game.... No skill ups in the last 3 games :(

Shaven tonight, at least someone gave them a kicking last week :)

8. Barmution

Barmution Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Barmution
    Country Flag:
    I approve of this spelling error.

9. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I assumed it was a particularly good team name! Kind of disappointed now..

10. Altashheth

Country Flag:
    'twas an iPad auto-correct that went unnoticed.... Although I'm tempted to do a skaven team called shaven now..... Oh and I got clobbered.... 2 early turn overs and some amazing early die rolls.... Think 2d against blocks coming up double splat. Dodging and leaping everywhere and passes across the board and over my players saw me 2-0 down by turn 6..... After that the casualties started rolling in but too little, too late

Apologises for hijacking :(

11. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    A 5th win for the Not-Quite Stuntys. Match report to come tomorrow

12. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    So MD5 brought the dwarves of The Visionaries vs Wood Elves again, this time with a TV difference of 580 in favour of the beards. The Stand in Woodies, as they're known, spent some time training extra hard for another reroll, got a barrell of bloodweiser ale to try and distract their opponents from the game and asked Morg N Thorg extra nicely if he wanted to join in the...er....fun.

The Woodies won the toss and in nice weather elected to receive. The kick went high and the nimble passer had no trouble plucking it out of the sky. With the elves favouring the right hand side when setting up, Morg wasted no time in blitzing open a hole through which a catcher and both wardancers slipped through, getting deep into the dwarf half.

The Visionaries Runemaster head coach, Merklyn, had told his charges that the limp wristed punching of the previous match up against wood panseys would not be excepted and it seems his words didn't fall on deaf ears, with Arzon blitzing off that catcher KO'd and Cryotek slamming a lino into the crowd, who ended up badly hurt after the scuffle. Even much maligned Deathroller Driver Lexor KO'd his lino marker and hoped he'd be allowed to stay out longer than 5 minutes this time!

The elves, casting nervous glances at the aformentioned 'roller, wanted a quick score so after blitzing a Wardancer free into the endzone went for a long pass....which they promptly fumbled. The embarressed passer at least made up for it by catching the scattered ball when it bounced off a prostrate body.

Not that that lasted. Cryotek crunched into him, knocking the ball away and then after seeing his opponent lying helpless on the floor, fell on him resulting in another elven casualty. Even better the ball scattered through the hands of the other Elf catcher and into the waiting arms of the super-tough runner Darkstorm (Brawn > Skill :D)

A nightmare turn for the elves sees a desperate attempt to recover the ball with a 2d against block that comes up :bothdown::skull: after a reroll. Down he goes. Some ineffectual blocking this turn meant Darkstorm couldn't get free. Morg, showing why he costs 430k gold to hire, then Dodge/Blitzed next to the ball-carrier. Cryotek was having none of that though and, with the help of some friends promptly pushes the big Ogre away leaving Darkstorm free to run up the field with Witterquick for back up.

Slick dodging with some line elves then saw Darkstorm face a 1d block, :pow:, and the balls in the crowd and thrown deep into elven territory. Nobodys close enough to get the ball and an elf falls down trying to get at least near it. Some blockers from the LOS get near the ball and everyone else attempts to make it hard for the elves to get there. It works as an elf fails a 3+ dodge allowing Darkstorm to run up and retrieve. Looks Like the Visionaries will score this half!

More failed elf dodging sees Darkstorm well in the clear and there's just enough time for a wardancer to be fouled out badly hurt before he runs it home.

Second Half

3 Elves get up making it 11-8 and The Visionaries receiving. the kicker, left on the bench for the 1st half, then fluffs his lines and kicks into touch. Darkstorm takes the ball and the dwarves, being dwarves, cage up.

The elves have a new mission it seems. Leaving the cage well alone they make it their business to foul Cryotek out the game. The remaining turns of teh 2nd half see an unmolested cage stroll up the left flank with the highlights being:

2 Elves sent off for fouling, getting no better than a stun all half.

Cryotek miscalculating a frenzy pushback leading to a 2d against block that comes up :bothdown::powdodge: on an unskilled lino. Results in a dead lino :p

A hand-off to Witterquick allowing him to level up.

Only Morg being on the pitch when the Dwarves score.

Elf turn 16 and it's the entire Visionaries team (Though most are drinking ale way back in their own half) versus Morg and a solitary lineman. Morg hasn't had a great game to be honest and the crowd let him know, throwing a rock that stuns him. The final elf decides that it's better to just lie down and accept defeat so fails the final dodge of the game as the claxon sounds.

2-0 to the Visionaries who face goblins next.

Two level ups. Witterquick got a normal roll and got Tackle. Lazorslash, who BH a Lino, got Mighty Blow as I felt I have enough Guard and it's Gobbo's next :D

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  13. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    Ok so it's Gobbo's this week. A few tactical musings....

1. Gobbo's are getting exactly 1000gp worth of inducements. I don't think they'll look past 3 bribes, Wizard, Morg and Ripper. They have no fanatic at the moment and the pogoer is mng. 11 player roster when you account for injuries. They have 70k in the bank though obviously if they spend this the inducemets will be affected. Any goblin coaches give me an insight into what they'd do in this situation?

2. If I win he toss I tend to kick against agility teams. Now I don't exacty class Gobbos as agility but they sure aren't strength. Would you kick or receive if in my position (assuming you win the toss)?

3. Was planning on marking up the big guys with longbeards. All will have crap agi and no break tackle (apart from agi 3 Morg). Would you do this or leave them well alone?

Thoughts.....?

14. Altashheth

Country Flag:
    If it were my goblin team and you kicked to me then my 4 bigguys would be on the LOS I'd pick the ball up and play like a kemri team....bash with the big guys, swamp and foul anyone that goes down..... Turn 5-6 I'd start heading for your end-zone.... Aim of first half would be removing Dwarfs, if I scored bonus.

2nd half I'd deploy the trolls 2 deep, Morg and ripper 2 behind them, all 4 just inside from the sidelines. I'd protect goblins in the middle, hang bomber towards left, chainsaw central.... I see where you were trying to push a drop bombs, get big guys where I need them and should a troll slayer or runner show his face I'd chainsaw it. All the time fouling any dorf that tumbled with as many assists as I could.

That's how I'd try it any way.

15. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    The Visionaries scraped in a 1-0 win against the Gobbo's

Full report to come tomorrow when I've had a lie down

16. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    MD6: Visionaries 1-0 Niggling Nasty Kittas

This game brought about a massive 1 million tv diffence and as such the Goblins were enable to employ a Wizard and coerce Superstars Ripper and Morg N Thorg to play as well as 2 of their stunty brethren.

The Gobbos won the toss and elected to receive in the good weather that remained good throughout the match. Stocking up their big guys on the LOS paid of instantly as Morg was able to 2die block the Deathroller off Ko'd almost immediatley. A brave gobbo ran to pick up the short kick and hid behind his much larger team mates.

Stunned by the early loss of the tractor Witterquick makes a silly dodge that eats a reroll and Cryotek fails to knock down a lowly gobbo even with frenzy. The gobbo in question screams for help and is obliged when the looney hacks into the trollslayer, Ko'ing him. The goblin is hidden in a cage and the Visionaries other slayer, Cindarr, fails dauntless whilst blocking Morg and ends up eating turf.

The gobbos cant move the cage forward much though and the next few turns see little real action apart from a 1 reroll 1 by star runner darkstorm on a block.

Then one of the Trolls fails a 3 die block and loner and stuns himself allowing arzon to blitz the carrier, injuring him with a smashed knee and the ball flies loose. Gobbos run to get close to the ball but can't pick it up. Neither can Witterquick though when he gets his chance but time is running out this half for the greenskins. Morg, angry with his team mates failure, smacks Cindarr so hard he gets a Serious Concussion. The Apothacary manages to fix this by jumping up and down on Cindarr's hip....No wait that didnt work at all. Idiot.

Witterquick injures the chainsaw in a petty act of vengence but the gobbos can't get the ball and the half ends.

Second half and there's and arguement before the kick off. The goblins, with 1 million gold pieces to spend in inducements didn't think to buy a bribe and the ref is furious. He storms off and leaves the teams to fight amongst themselves. Eventually a Ko'd Krittas Goblin is painted with black and white stripes and thrown onto the pitch with a whistle taped to his mouth. Someone steps on him and the whistle blows, GAME ON!

Darkstorm gets the ball and, mindful of the scary looking wizrd in the crowd, a loose cage is formed. Too loose! A troll blitzes through and marks the runner and disaster! He fails to dodge away. Suddenly Ripper is next to the ball too and things aren't looking great. Half-elf runner Leoric can't even get the ball and now its surrounded.

Then, on the left of the pitch a momentous event occurs. 3 gobbos, one with a bomb, face off against Cryotek the dirty trollslayer and Arzon. The bombardier tries a suicide bomb throw but Ko's himself and the other gobbo leaving the dwarves unscathed. Sensing a chance Cryotek piles on and kills the final gobbo. The left flank is wide open!

But the ball is mired. Darkstorm blitzes a gobbo on to it and it scatters into an area marked by a troll and Mortdredd. And then it's Mortdredds time to shine. He picks up the bal lin a tz and dodges away left. The wizard stops him but only temporarily and he's up and running again. With the trolls tied up and only 2 gobbos left Morg trys a hero play. Dodging away he blitzes Mortdredd but can't knock him down. Strength in numbers takes Morg down and Mortdredd must score surely! Wait Morg makes 2 4+ dodges and marks him again! The dwarves swarm again and this time Morg is stunned. A last ditch Goblin throw does nothing and Mortdredd strolls in the T16 score.

A failed hand-off means no one turn equaliser and the Visionaries scrape through with their perfect record intact!

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  17. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    Another win for the boys. I'll do a report when I have time.

18. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Nice going, really impressed to see you win with 1M in inducements against you too, even if it was Goblins.

19. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    MD7

Visionaries 2-0 Shayol Ghul's Dreadlords (ORC)

Yes again our plucky Dwarves face off against heavily induced opposition. There's that shifty looking Wizard again and some hot girls with beer. And inevitably here comes Morg N Thorg....except he's green??? Ah wait that's Varag Ghoul-Chewer. Well variety is the spice of life they say.

Dwarves lose the toss again (tails never fails my arse) and the orcs elect to receive which was what the dwarves wanted anyway. It's a nice day again as the dwarves kick high. The Orc Thrower can't catch it though and it's game on!

Rather oddly the Orcs have 2 goblins on the pitch and a Blitzer and Black Orc on the sidelines. It's revealed post match that the Orc coach was having trouble with his 'Hinty Face' (A goblin advisor perhaps?) and there was a mix up. Anyway the tactical errors didn't stop there as the orcs try to gang up on Lexor the Deathroller to punch him down. The Troll gets enough help to get a decent swing in but knocks himself down whilst taking out Lexor. 6 Orcs are around the 'roller now and the ball is looking poorly protected.

Mortdredd wastes no time ko'ing the nearest Black Orc to the ball and the pressure is on the orc thrower now with dwarves closing in. The Orcs are still intent on taking out th etractor though and finally (after a reroll) knock it down. This does allow for some screening though and the thrower hides behind a very loose cage.

Cryotek gets rid of the screening Gobbo and Mortdredd marks up the carrier. The Troll, one of the more experienced players, takes no prisoners though, breaking a tackle to blitz Mortdredd off the ball. A goblin squeezes through dwarf lines to set up a potential pass in what was the last attacking move of the game for the Dreadlords. Leoric the runner Ko's another orc and Lazorslash marks up the thrower. Lexor on his roller sees his opportunity and (just) breaks the tackle of a Black Orc and blitzes the thrower off Ko'd. The ball scatters between 3 dwarves and it's looking grim for the greenskins.

A nod and a wink into the crowd from the orc coach sees a ball of fire land amongst the ball marking dwarves. So used are they to these kind of shenanigans by now only 1 dwarf goes down and he's fine to play on anyway. The Troll, who by now I consider to be team captain, blitzes 1 dwarf away from the ball but gets no help from star man Varag, who fails his dodge.

Cryotek removes the troll from the ball and Darkstorm steams in and grabs it, running for safety down the left with a nice screen in place. The orcs are reduced to desperation plays and a blitzer dodges awa yto try and get a hit on Darkstorm, only to overextend himself and end up in the dirt.

Darkstorm heads for the line whilst his comrades punish the remaining orcs. The Troll is MNG'd by Cryotek but Trolls heal quickly and he doesn't even miss next half! Varag and a gobbo try and get as close to the ball as possible but are soon marked up by dwarves. Lexor's having a whale of a time though. Not normally allowed on the pitch for so long he fouls here, there and everywhere, ko'ing a blitzer and then, in a career highlight, KILLING VARAG on a foul. He's sent off to roars of approval from the crowd whilst Varag's limp body is carted off to a powerful orc shaman for resurrection. Then somebody points out that Darkstorm has run in the touchdown and the ref blows for half-time with the Visionaries 1-0 up.

More problems for the orcs at halftime. Their delivery of Bloodweiser Ale turns out to be High Elven Ponce-Wine. No self-respecting Orc would wake up for that so those 4 Ko'd players stay sleeping meaning it's 8 vs 11 for the 2nd half.

A slight breeze messes with the kick a bit but Leoric has no problem gathering it up. The dwarves get punchy on the LOS but nothing serious occurs. The Orcs punch back but their hearts aren't in it and the shortys are just pushed around a bit.

Leoric heads left behind a tight screen. Another greenskin, a gobbo this time, goes off Ko'd courtesy of Cryotek. The Troll tries to punish the slayer but can only push him about (even with a reroll). Cryotek then shows him how it's down by BH'ing a Black Orc. Leoric closes in on the line but fails to account for a sudden agile streak from the Dreadlords. Suddenly there are 2 orcs on him and a Black Orc and gobbo nearby. Where did they come from?!

Short and beardy support arrives and Leoric Ko's one of his marker's as his colleagues mark up the offending orcs. On the LOS Lazorslash takes out another Black Orc leaving only the Troll there. It's now 4 vs 11. Crazy suicide blitzes ensue, with the ball carrier being pushed back but remaining upright. The dwarves are content to stall out for their 2-0 win and earn some Dirty Git points with fouling. The Orc coach looks plaintively across the touchline at his opposite number and entreats him to lay-off a bit for pity's sake. In possibly the first case EVER of a dwarf feeling sorry for an Orc, Merklyn, the Visionaries head coach, tells his players to ignore the remaining orcs and just run down the clock. The rest of the half sees the dwarves playing dice, drinking beer and even geting a sing-song going whilst the prostrate orcs keep very quiet, lying down on the pitch and occasionally peeking out of half-opened eyes. Leoric finally waddles over the line and the officious ref demands the dwarves kick off even though everyone just wants to go home early.

Dutifully the dwarves obey. That wizard in the crowd tries to redeem himself after that awful fireball by throwing a rock at Lazorslash on the LOS which stuns him at least. Totally bored an orc picks up the ball and throws it at the ref, who ducks the shot but thinks better of letting the game carry on and blows for full time.

The Visionaries go 7-0-0 and Cryotek is voted MVP for general punchiness with his 2 casualties. He's impressed by his colleagues tackling skills so decides to join them for training in this fine art.

Next up: LIZARDMEN!

20. Citizen Nev

Citizen Nev Member

Country Flag:
    Anyone know where I go to get those cool roster screen shot things that so many of you seem to have?