1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W.O.O.D.

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Silfuin, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Silfuin

Silfuin Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    W.O.O.D. return.

As mentioned somewhere else I am starting a little league with real life friends.
    During my time with the Big Crunch and OCC I played with lots of other races but to begin anew again I decided to return to the first love, thus here is my new team of wood elves, to follow the steps of the White Owls Of Darkmist which played 6 seasons in the old Big Crunch 1.

We all know that elves are hated by most non-elf players, ... and sometimes also from elf players.
    When elves get old, and a bit arrogant they become all the more obnoxious, therefore athough maintaining the short name concept the full name changed somewhat and they have become the:

"Wacky Old Obnoxious Dregs".

To remind everyone of how hateful they are they got their names straight from the most obnoxious toon characters out there.
    So we have my wardancers Road Runner and Tweetie which everyone already dream of smacking in the face and booting in other places, the team leader Mr Magoo with his eagle sight and the ever watchful Mrs Rottenmeier well planted in the earth and ready to bring her lovely care to everybody.
    All the linemen have also the proper names which I will not list here, suffice it to say that we have Ned Flanders and Bugs Bunny and many others.
    Many more will come in the future, and I encourage you to supply names if you have toon characters which you absolutely hate and wish to see dead: in due time I will enlist them and when they inevitably die I'll try to post here a screenshot.

I am trying to have a good laugh with my friends with this, but I also feel pressured to win as I am the only one having league experience, so here I am to ask advice.
    As much as I'd like to make a full blog I don't have the time, thus like with the old W.O.O.D. this thread will be just to get advice about the upcoming matches and team developement and to update you on the progress of teh team.

In the league we have (sadly) 1 Dwarf team and 2 Chaos Dwarf teams, plus Orcs, Necro, Undead, Norse and a Dark Elf.
    It is pretty bashy, and with all those tackles I decided to forego the catchers in my initial roster to get a treeman and have a bit more durability.
    Therefore we have 2 wardancers, 1 thrower, 1 treeman and 7 linemen with 1 RR.
    I am comfortable playing with just 1 reroll, and the plan is to skill up the thrower asap to get leader and expand my possibilities with some riskier play which woodies are good at, especially at low TV. (maybe I'll get Strip Ball before leaping in cages though).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Supa and Gallows Bait like this.
  2. Silfuin

Silfuin Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    First game will be against the most experienced player besides me with a team of Chaos Dwarfs.
    He has 4 blockers, 2 bulls and the rest hobgoblin up to 12 players total, so he has a bench.
    He only has 2 rerolls, but he has cheerleaders, fan factor and assistant coaches, so he'll probably have FAME and will win the rerolls of the kickoff event.
    However 2 rerolls are not much for dwarfs, so I hope he'll burn through those and then have some turnover sooner or later.

My plan is to kick if I am given the choice so I can defend with all players, keeping the WD protected and leaving them blocks only on the linemen, so that tackle will not have any effect.
    Tree will go just behind the los to disencourage any blocker to follow up, then in my turn he will engage and luckily entangle one or more blockers or bulls.
    With just 1 reroll and no apo I am not prone to the aggressive play I was used to with the old WOOD, so the wardancers will initially indulge in the usual elf columns, blitzing every turn and springing into action only if a really good opportunity will present or if the situation will become dire and thus really requiring it.

On offense as of lately I like to run the ball screening it and taking my time to score, without taking unnecessary risks to stall when not fully screened.
    This usually leads to score in 3 or 4 turns.
    If he scored in his drive I should be able to score my self and then score in second half, and if not I'll just score in second half.
    Anyway hopefully at this time I will be ahead by 1 tocuhdown with 4 or 5 turns for the opponent to draw.
    This seems a long enough time for a CD to score, thus I need some tweak on my strategy.

Obviously I can try to lose more time on my own offense in second half, but the bulls scare me.
    Any other hint or things I may have overlooked?
    C'mon guys, BBTactics honor is at stake here. :):rolleyes::eek:

OT - How can I permanently insert a link to my team roster?
    I remember it was possible and there is the spoiler button on the bottom of the initial post, but I didn't find anything searching the forum.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  3. Gallows Bait

Gallows Bait Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    The game plan sounds sensible if you can manage it. I agree that if you can stall until they have only 2-3 turns left then great, but it isn't worth risking your own TD for.

As for the roster, when you write a post there should be an icon which looks like a chain, you can use to link to another webpage URL the photo icon can be used to link to an image URL.

4. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Blitz the hobgoblins as much as is sensible.
    If he gets 1 blitz on AV7 a turn and you do the same then the number of players removed should be about equal.
    If he is a good player he will be trying to score on turn 8/16 so at some point you will need to abandon the columns and go for the ballcarrier if you want to win.
    If your kick is deep you may be able to screen the dwarves at the line of scrimmage from the ballcarrier but you are relying on luck for that.

Silfuin and Gallows Bait like this.
  5. Silfuin

Silfuin Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    That's an interesting thought, it makes me wonder ... what about fouls?
    I know, I know, we have no bench, and the dwarves will already be doing their best to send us out thus better to avoid further player-removal chances, but if a bull is on the ground and I can spare 4 players for assist?
    If you remove the bulls from the chaos dwarves it becomes soooo much easier ... 16% to be expelled vs 30% of removing him from the pitch ... what would you do?

6. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    It's around 1/3 to be expelled if you break armour and they have thick skull, honestly fouling dwarfs is almost never a good idea for elves. I would also definitely have the tree on the line assuming rookie teams and no claw. Soaking up LOS hits and making life awkward for their offense is what trees do best. If you can get a couple of his players tied up on the tree and a hobgoblin removal or so you should be able to put a lot of pressure on his cage.

Silfuin likes this.
  7. Silfuin

Silfuin Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Ah yes, you're right, also doubles on injuries expel the fouler, thus probability is 1/6 + 5/6*1/6 = 11/36 = 30%
    That means bad odds, ok, I'll avoid it.

About the treeman I was dubious if to put him on the line or just 1 square behind.
    The reason to put him behind is because i've had horrible luck in the past with stand-up rolls, plus staying behind allows 1 or 2 squares movement to get optimal positioning.
    In fact it's a doubt I always have with trees, but I get your reasoning: if he wants to down the tree he must use a bull, thus risking him to be stuck there for the rest of the match, or bunch up at least 5 players, with any dwarves in there risking the same fate.
    It's a 50% possibility, but if it goes well it's a huge bonus for me whereas if it doesn't work it's not the end of the world.
    Seems a good advice

However just to explore all the options what is the alternative?
    If i put the tree behind he will probably be still standing in my turn, and I will move him into contact with the whoever will be on los, maybe even a bull if my opponent is silly enough to put him there.
    Plus he probably won't follow up, thus I will be able to disengage my linemen without rolling.
    Seems similar to plan A, but I avoid the stand up roll and up to 2 dodge rolls.
    Obviously that means 1 further block on my linemen, which are not exactly sturdy.
    Is the added safety of not rolling for stand up and dodge worthy of the risk of injury of 1 lineelf?

Any additional thought on this is appreciated.

8. Supa

Supa Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Supa
    Cyanide Username:
    Supajee
    Country Flag:
    I'd also put the treeman on the LoS. Its presence there protects his other two buddies next to him and you generally need to avoid getting hit as much as possible on woodies. If he's 1 square behind your opponent can wreck your LoS, and it is also slightly worse square to take root.

Bashier teams would love to have some presence in the middle, so blocking the treeman is a risky gambit they often must take on their longer drives.

Chaos dwarves have it rough indeed, having to use a bull centaur for the task. Not cool. The 50% odds to fail the stand up is still totally worthwhile imo. for the potential to stay up, maybe eat a reroll from opponent as well as player protection. Sometimes tree is out for the whole drive, just believe you made the right call. :D

Assuming treeman is up with opponents clumped up, and there is no clear/safe way to pressure the ball, it might be worthwhile to not blitz a hobgoblin on that turn. There might be a blitzable chain push near the tree on a blocker which would let you take couple of more blocks on another blocker.

Safe way to secure the middle and limit your opponent's options, keep an eye on those opportunities! Still, most of the time blitzing a hobgoblin is the right call.

9. Silfuin

Silfuin Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Ok, let's talk about LOS with the tree then.

As of lately I have taken the habit of setting up against Bashy teams asymmetrically, with my los all on one side.
    It forces them to put men offset on the side which they probably don't wanna go as the gap there is narrow, and in case I get perfect defence I can rearrange the men on the other side avoiding the first turn blocks.
    Setting up like this I am not comfortable to put the tree in the middle of the LOS because he would be off from the center.
    Therefore I tend to put him on the side of the los closest to the center.

Does that make sense?

On the other hand if I put him in the middle of the los it forces all the guys which wanna block (or assist) him to be off from center as well, which is good for me.

Which would be the best way?

Or maybe a simple central LOS with the tree in the middle would be preferable?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  10. Silfuin

Silfuin Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Kickoff ....

I am nervous like I was at the university exams ...

I have more than 200 league games under my belt ... will it ever go away?

1st turn rock from spectators KO lineman who was protecting the WD, bull blitz WD and wardancer is ... DEAD.
    Oh yeah ...
    League starts well ...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  11. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Ugh rough start (how did he get a hit on a wd turn 1?) , I would put the tree in the middle of the LOS. btw for offset LOS I like having my other players on the other side of the pitch, makes it really hard for the opponent to stop you attacking the backfield

12. Silfuin

Silfuin Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Eh TS ... bad setup?

los was composed by 2 linos and the tree in the center of the field.
    I had put three linos 2 squares behind los to defend my positionals, with both WDs and thrower behind them in the center.
    Another lino was behind the tree to limit the number of possible assists (this way if he wanted to do a 2D block he had to use the bull), and the last lino was behind.

A rock from the public sent the rightmost lino in the "positional shield" ko, leaving the wd exposed.

Anyway, I feared my opponent, but it turned out he was not that good.
    I had a shot at 2D blitzing his hobgoblin ball carrier, resulting in a push which left his bc against the sideline double marked and with a screen protecting the markers from the rest of the CD team.
    I made a mistake there as a slight imperfection in the screen gave him a chance at blitzing one of the markers (the remaining WD) with the bull, which luckily didn't produce any result (blodge).
    He managed a 8+ long bomb to get out of it, failing the catch but got some help from me as I failed at prioritizing correctly and failed a futile 2D block before attempting the ball retrieval.
    That was my second major error and allowed him to score.

In my own offence i needed to score in 3 turns, with no rerolls as i burned my only one picking up the ball, and I failed a dodge (not before failing again at prioritizing), therefore ending turn 7 with no players in position to score.

Second half I scored in turn 14, and in two turns I couldn't attempt anything as he feared I could steal the ball and didn't even try to win, diverting all his efforts at defending the ball.

Well, a draw with that start is not bad.
    I am entirely to blame for not winning, and eventually this makes the league more fun to everyone.

On the positive side I managed to level up the thrower, scoring with him and completing three passes.
    He got a double, which leaves me once again uncertain on what to do.
    I was planning for leader, and am still in favour of that.
    Double however could get me guard ( but do I really want guard on my thrower? ) or strong arm (that could really open up the passing play).
    Help me please, I honestly don't know what to do ...

Finally at the end of the game nuffle decided to remind me who rules and I rolled 1 on the winnings, thus no apo in the next match as well.

Man it is good to play some BB league again.
    I am excited.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  13. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Only 10 players with an apoth and dancer to buy so the thrower will be playing both sides of the ball for a while.
    So I would ignore Strong Arm.
    You could really use an extra reroll with only 1 player with block or dodge and no catch but I think guard will be more useful even on the thrower.

14. Silfuin

Silfuin Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    ... only 10 players with apo and dancer to buy ...
    See, this is why I come here for advice, in two words you have put the situation into perspective.

A quick calculation about my future bank: to buy apo and dancer I need 170k. i have 30k now so I need 140k.
    On average you get 90k over 2 games, thus I will not have my dancer before MD5, more probably MD6.
    Catcher wil then arrive on MD8, end of the league ...
    So the question that is nagging my brain is: how do I want to develope my team?
    Do I want to get the dancer as soon as possible and play without catchers the entire league or do I accept the loss, get along with 1 dancer and get the catchers?
    Or else again, do I forfeit the apo and get the dancer hopefully in MD4? (probably madness, but an option nonetheless)

I begin to see the advantages of starting with no RRs but with 2 catchers ... damn hard though playing with no RRs ...

About the skill selection I posted the question in the "Skill Allocation Advice VII" thread, if you have suggestions you may post there.

15. Silfuin

Silfuin Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    ok, guys, back with the WOOD.

I managed to upload an image of the team, so you'll find it in the first post under the spoiler.

Some big news from the last post.
    We had a last moment addition to the league so we can replace the fake AI team we used to admin a so called "rest turn".
    As Cj advised in PM I proposed to have the new team and the team which had the "rest turn" in MD1 play a one off league and then drop in the league in MD2.
    Standings would be updated manually and stats would just miss one game.
    We put it to the votes and my friends decided to start from scratch and repeat MD1.
    Strangely enough all the winners of MD1 voted to restart, and the few in favor of continuing had horrible luck in MD1 ... go figure ...
    I wanted to continue because it seemed like cheating to have my wardancer back, and I was savoring the challenge ahead.
    Anyway here we are, back at the start.

Roster is as said in first post.
    We have a pretty bashy league, with 2 Chorfs and 1 Dorf team, besides orcs and undead, thus I opted for a lineup with the treeman.
    Even if I see the merit of the "no reroll roster" with full positionals it seems to me too much of a gamble to go in without rerolls: a single bad roll in the wrong moment could lead to failure big time.
    Also in our league, with all those dwarves, the additional dodge of the 2 catchers does not seem all that useful.
    The Thrower is there to provide an additional reroll as soon as possible, and hoping that this time nobody dies the catchers will arrive as soon as I make some money.
    A side effect of this lineup is that having no cacthers, all spps will be distributed among WDs and linemen, helping develope the team: we all know that catchers tend to hog all spps when they are on the pitch.

As we saw however things can go awry, and in the situation I was before (i.e. WD dead first match) I really felt like having started with the full roster could have been better, even without rerolls.

if you have any argument for choosing one roster over the other I am not yet completely sold.

16. Silfuin

Silfuin Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    MD1 started.

Brand new team, brand new match schedule.
    First match is against a really inexperienced coach with Chorfs.
    He fields 4 blockers, 2 bulls a Mino and only 2 RR.

I decided to stick with the 1 RR no catchers roster.
    It's safer in case I am forced to take important rolls and fail them, and I have a feeling that it may happen.

Gameplan is to play the running game (maybe just a few vanity passes to get leader on the thrower if I am in a safe situation), trying to steer clear of the Mino (or entangle him with my tree).
    Hopefully he will burn the rerolls early and be prone to some turnover.
    If situation presents I may turn off Stand Firm and force the Mino to take a frenzy -2D block against my tree, which will help make him burn rerolls faster.

Apart from this the plan is as before: defend first, either steal the ball and score or force him to score quickly and then score myself.
    In my own offense score in turn 4 or later, then defend and either steal the ball or just stop him.
    Tree on los worked really well last time so I'll repeat
    I'll try to blitz one hobgoblin per turn: although the mighty blow of the Mino will most likely result in numerical advantage for the Chorfs it's better to keep this contained by removing some of his players.
    The player is not experienced, thus I don't expect him to stall for a turn 8 score, however if I see that I cannot contain him I'll try to put pressure with some WD play and either I'll get the ball or he will score leaving me enough time to equalize.
    Possibly an aggressive ball chase here could lead to multiple TDs and help me develope the team.
    With a deep kick I will most definitely try to be aggressive, and screen his ball from the dwarves on los.
    I'll have to be wary of the hobgoblins though, if they slip and head towards my half there's always the possibility that an improbable pass will get them the ball.

That is all I can think of.
    Tonight we'll see how it goes.

17. Silfuin

Silfuin Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    MD1 won 2-0

Mostly everything worked out ... mostly.
    First half my opponent did not keep enough players back to protect the ball and I managed easily to pressure him into high risk plays.
    Mino and a couple dwarves were entangled by the tree and the rest were based by my players so he could bring noone to help the 2 poor hobgoblins.
    Eventually he tried a 6+ pass which I was lucky enough to intercept and bring into end zone in turn 3.
    This repeated almost exactly in his following offense.
    This time he almost managed to get away by dodging and passing, but I had my other WD back as a safety ready for this.
    We were on discord with a bunch of friends and by this time there was a considerable chaos as most people was instinctively trying to help my opponent given the evident experience gap.
    Usually I don't like this in leagues or any other competition, but some mistake was so blatant that I myself couldn't help but correct him, like for instance when he decided to leave his player on the sideline.
    Unfortunately for him his attempt to gfi away from the sideline didn't end well, allowing me to recover and score.

In my own half things went sideways.
    I decided to do a dodge after the blitz with my WD to obtain a not-so-much-better position and forgot that dwarves have tackle.
    Nuffle punishes the unauthorized futile use of dice rolls as we know well, and my turn ended before i could attempt to pick up the ball.
    Second turn I knew better and thus decided to double gfi for a decidedly-not-better position with the same dancer.
    Need I say to you the result?
    This time I also used my reroll because opponent players were in range of the ball so when it didn't work a bull managed to mark the ball.
    End of the stupidity.
    All the rest i made more or less correctly, but could not get the ball in td anyway.
    Neither did my opponent though, and the whole second half was consumed with us trying to get the ball and failing.

I was lucky with the injuries though, and my dancer got 2 cas besides the td, thus I now have a strip ball dancer.
    It would have been good to level the thrower too and get leader, surely I should have focused on that in the second half.
    However nobody died and I got the apo, so I think overall a very good first game.

My opponent, despite the inexperience, played rather well in the second time, and all his moves really annoyed me.
    Without the TDs in the first half it could have ended in a draw: serves me to remember never to do gfi and dodges unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  18. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Excellent result and really good to take lessons away from it. Any kind of GFI when you have a 1 RR roster is going to be a tense moment.

19. Silfuin

Silfuin Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    New match agains a high elf team.

I knew that my tree would not be of much use in this match, I would just use it as a roadblock and play around him, both in defense and in offense.
    My opponent was again fairly inexperienced (but I made sure he knew all the basics: how to cage, how to screen and most importantly the elf columns).
    He played really well, but lacked long term strategic view, thus I caught him flat footed when reversing and switching sides, or squeezing through tiny gaps to reform behind hils lines.

... I lost the game however ...
    It seemed one of those games where you roll just ones and can't manage to do anything at all.

It's interesting how reviewing the game can change perspective however.
    Statistics confirm that I had fairly bad luck, with 17 ones over 64 rolls, however i found a couple mistakes which could have maybe made a difference.

Match went like this:

I defended first.
    During the high elf attack the ball carrier was left exposed to a 1d blitz by my Strip Ball Dancer, so I popped the ball loose on turn 3.
    Ball scattered in a free square with 1 tackle zones around.
    Then I probably made teh first mistake as I could have retrieved the ball (I still had my RR) and advance it to form a cage in a much more advanced position which my opponent would have had difficulty to defend as he was unbalanced toward my end zone.
    I am biased against picking up the ball in tackle zones, particularly when there are many people around which can cause lots of bounces and bad scatters so I decided instead to free the ball from enemy tackle zones with blocks and then recover ball and regroup.
    I should have picked up the ball without a second thought, but it didn't even occur to me in game.

Anyway it could have been good, but after burning my reroll on a double skull I followed up with the lineman which should have formed the corners of my cage, thus not caging at all and leaving the bc exposed.
    It seems that in this phase I wasn't thinking clearly as I didn't even see the possible cage formation.

Anyway I turned over by moving a marked lino which rolled 1 on the dodge (before moving the safe pieces: the wardancer, also marked but with dodge, and a lino which was free, more mistakes).
    He managed to get back the ball and I got another chance at a 1d blitz with my strip baller with 2 dodges (2+ and 3+) and a gfi.
    I failed on the first with a snake eyes and he scored.
    The whole move had a probability of success of 57.87% so I cannot get mad about those snake eyes, but my WD got badly hurt with it, so it felt like the cherry on the cake.

In my own remaining turn I lost a couple of peolpe during my advance but got a shot at equalizing on turn 8, where I needed to do a 2d block, (needing either a defender down or a push and a subsequent push on another 2d block) then a 2+ dodge and a gfi.
    1 on the gfi :(.

On second half I took my time with the thrower and a lino in my backfield trading passes (it was grim, and I shouldn't have, but I desperately wanted 3 more spp to get leader). All (well, nearly all ...) went well as I failed to catch the ball on second pass, but was positioned correctly so it was out of reach of the opponent and not a problem to get it back on the following turn (it could have been however ... I know """shame shame""").

I proceeded to switch sides a couple of times and when I was forming a protective cage I again rolled 1 on a dodge.
    Took me a long time to decide if to reroll, then I decided it was better to use the reroll and so I pressed ... skip ... why ... ? brain was misbehaving apparently.
    At this point I was divided, with 3 players on 1 side and the other 2 on the other side as a result of the continued turnovers.
    Tree was in the middle.
    I was spared by my opponent which got people in their own way and had to resort to a 1d blitz, which luckily didn't succeed.
    With not many options I tried a badly planned sideline cage and moved the bc on the sideline first as he was in the way of the other two.
    I just needed to dodge and block 2s, and guess what? yep, you nailed it: 1 on the dodge.
    Probably it wouldn't have made any difference as the sideline cage was too close and reviewing the match I saw that 1 corner would have been in contact with an enemy lino.
    Anyway my bc (the one which desperately needed SPPs) went off the pitch and the ball scattered in my favor.
    A scramble ensued where both me and my opponent tried to get the ball.
    My opponent made a few mistakes here and didn't manage to assist correctly, so he resorted to 1d blocks and failed. I managed to blitz the ball free, but failed to pick it up twice!
    More ones, yay!

All in all satisfied by the match as with all that bad luck I had 2 different TD occasions, therefore I came really really close to a win (failed gfi to score on turn 8 then failed pick up to score on turns 15 and 16).
    I am however not happy with not being able to see potential plays under stress: I failed to see too much better plays which could have made a biiig impact..
    Is there any way around this? (besides playing and playing some more?).

Next game will be against Norse, and still only 1 reroll ... :(

20. Gallows Bait

Steam Username:
    Gallows-Bait
    Cyanide Username:
    Gallows Bait
    Country Flag:
    Interesting reflections. I do agree that I think coaches can become so focused on reducing the risk of moves, such as pickup in tacklezones, that it makes them commit players to actions without thinking enough about the overall position it leaves the team in regardless of success or failure. It's a hard thing to learn to look more holistically at the state of the game and think ahead.