1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wood Elf W.o.o.d.

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Silfuin, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Silfuin

Silfuin Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    The White Owls Of Darkmyst (W.O.O.D.) salute you.

[​IMG]

This will be just to chat about advice for the upcoming matches and in general about the development of the team and its progression in the BC.
    AS much as I would like to make a full story blog like the Pale Darkness, I donìt have the time.

Thanks to all for contributing with any advice or comment in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  2. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Looks very sensible so far

3. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Ok, so let's start.
    I have won the first 2 matches, and lost the third.
    both first and last were really tight, and nuffle averaged out in my matches, so I would say all in all a fair result.
    I managed to get skill on my thrower early, which leaves me with 2 RR, soon to be brought to 3.
    One WD got strip ball and the other will soon (I hope).
    I am playing this team aggressively chasing the ball and trying to play fast, which is definitely my style.
    I know it is not always the best way, but try to reason about when to go or not, and ultimately I think it's better to play and have fun at a greater risk of losing than playing "unnatural" which is too stressful to really enjoy.
    No stalling WITH this team ...

In last match a lino rolled +AG, which I didn't yet take, mainly because I was already set for wrestle before rolling.
    Anybody in favour of skipping the AG? ... No?
    I guess I'll have to take it? Advice needed here.

Next match is against rookie Necro, with one skill only: MB on a wolf IIRC.
    my plan is to keep down wolves as much as possible, score quickly in my offense to allow my cheerleader and assistant coaches to work, and in his offense steal ball at first opportunity and score again, then rinse and repeat.
    Easier said and done (that was my plan also with St Cloud)
    Advices? Anything I should remember?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  4. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    You should probably take the agi 5, there are arguments for not taking it, mainly that its so better on your positionals, but a wood elf lino is MA 7 which makes for both a good scoring piece and ballhawk threat.

5. Altashheth

Altashheth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    We at FOOD approve of your team name and team.... your enemies are our enemies...let our trees break skulls :)

6. Altashheth

Altashheth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    totally agree, there is no argument not to take it... with 7357 your practically a positional.... that and with the agility and future agility access you've a line elf to run in and pick up the stripped ball, dodge out, hand it to your thrower and clear the ball :) (i live in wishful thinking land)

7. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Agreed on the +Ag, at least if the team is young or the lino already has a skill.

8. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Lino with no skill but team very young. I have taken it. we'll see how it fares.

9. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    So we are at next match's eve. adversary is Evrrblue with his Necro. Young roster, with usual 2 wights, 2 ww, 2 golems and the rest zombies. IIRC 12 players on roster. Don't remember exactly the skills, but 1 wight should have mb.
    Any advice?
    I usually shoot to pass the defensive line with some players and score as quickly as possible, but I fear this tactic won't work: sidelines are too dangerous to be used, and the golems will probably hold the center with standfirm, making it difficult to squeeze through.
    Strangely enough I am worried about offense more than defense.
    Any comment would be appreciated.

10. TravelScrabble

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    You should be fine, young necro lack a lot of skills, switch play from side to side and the golems and zombies won't be able to keep up.

11. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Haha! Today's match was against Blassc in the CC. Messed teh leagues around.
    So my game with Everblue will be next MOnday. Plenty of time for everybody to fill in their comments.

12. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    If he has no ghouls then there are only 4 players with MA above 4 and none of them have dodge or sure hands.
    Just blitz those 4 players every chance you get and outrun the rest.

13. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    ok, two games in a row, Necro and Lizards.

Match against Necro was characterized by errors on both sides.
    Initially I decided to score quickly without any step at stalling, and relying instead on an aggressive ball chasing on Everblue offense.
    I didn't take into account the sideline control the WWs exerted, though, which limited my options, and discouraged me from attempting ball retrieval after prying the ball loose, cause it would leave my valuable AG5 elf open to the surf.
    After reviewing the match I think I should have tried it, it was a 3+ retrieval, and the ball could therefore be phased to safety with a good probability of securing a 2-0 lead: sacrifice of a Kino seems worth it.

Anyway I didn't try it, and any other attempt failed, allowing the necro cage to reach the TD line and stopping there to wait turn 8: big error.
    With WDs around you are never safe and in fact on my turn 8 the non-strip-ball WD jumped in to blitz 1d, which luckily, resulted in defender down, and this time ball was easily recovered and passed deep, failing to score due to an error in previous positioning of the designated scorer, which could not reach the end line.

2nd half was a long grind, which eventually lead me to defend with 5 players (it seems I should get used to it).
    There was a single moment of hope when the stripballer got the ball loose, but once again too close to the sidelines, and with no residual movement to clear the ball from there.
    The attempt to carry another elf there to mark the ball didn't work (too many dodges required) and in the following turn Everblue recovered the ball and KOd the only remaining WD, effectively shutting down my defense.
    Equaliser then came in turn 16.

Match against Lizards came the day after, and finally I got the second RR, which, with the leader skill, brought me to the ideal total of 3.
    Lizards decided to use their treasury to buy a bench skink, thus remaining at 2 rr, which ultimately had a great effect on the match, producing some key turnovers.
    This effect was better exploited also since I had cl and ac and also negated Scottishdunc the additional rrs coming from the kickoff table.
    The match itself was by manual.
    initial elf offense going in on turn 6, followed by a frantic skink rush to score in time, failing a catch and opening to my ball retrieval and scoring attempt. (this time the "deep" man was positioned correctly, but I also failed the catch).
    2nd half started well for the lizard, as the tree went down and refused to get up again for 3 turns.
    WDs however were lurking just behind the first line, only waiting for an opening, and this was unsettling scottish, which caged full (yep, bc completely surrounded).
    A lucky foul eliminated a saurus which was within my defenses, and allowed a very good columns defense.
    The full cage tried to advance, but to do so got in contact withthe WDs.
    Normally not a big deal, as they were marked by the kroxi and a saurus.
    An elf lino however had circled the cage in the previous turn and blitzed the weak link (skink) chain-pushing the BC in contact with the stripballer which got the ball loose immediately.
    Couldn't retrieve due to the many TZs, and limited to mark, and next turn the skink failed the pickup and ball ended to a saurus, which got knocked down by stripballer.
    Ball was easily recovered this time and immediately advanced toward TD, out of reach of any lizard.
    The last turns were a big scrum where surprisingly the elves managed to keep their own against the stronger saurii, while the bc waited turn 16 to step in for the 2-0.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  14. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Ok, guys, now to the next matches.

I have levelled teh other WD and the thrower, who got a second skill beside leader.
    What do I need?

The next match is against zons, then there is Dionysian with Nurgle and then Ultimate with his skavens.

Any thought?

15. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Further to that, I have now in the treasury 90k, shall I buy a catcher now?
    Our would it be better to keep some cash in case I need to replace a wd?
    Buying a catcher now would also bring my team's value to 1370k, thus giving away 210 k inducements, as opposed to just 120k without the catcher.

I would be inclined to buy him, no matter what the inducements could be, am I wrong?

16. Street

Street Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Street
    Country Flag:
    210K inducements is wizard + babe for the enemy, a wizard itself can be annoying to deal with. If the enemy team isn't going to drop anything to bring the 120K inducements to 150K I would save the money for now.

17. St Cloud

St Cloud Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    St. Cloud
    Country Flag:
    Is he your 11th player? I might consider waiting then. If he's your 12th? GFI

18. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    He would be my 12th player.

And yes, wizard can be annoying ... but also playing with 1 less man.

Then there is also the possibility to shoot for the 3rd RR, given that the thrower can always leave the field, bringing with him his RR.

Decisions, decisions ...

19. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Finally the Wood enlisted a catcher we found roaming in the forests 'round here.

He proved to be a valuable addition to the team as it increased our overall already excellent movement allowance and added dodging skills which are always handy.

He demonstrated the value of MA8 when chasing a single zon runaway in our last match, managing to grab the ball under her nose.
    It was only with extreme luck that the same linewoman managed to trip down the nimble Valkard, effectively managing to shutdown our hopes of winning, or even drawing.

The match ended up pretty different from what was anticipated, as CAS department favoured the elves, while ball handling favoured the zons.

An aggressive ball-chasing (and surf attempt) did not work well and our WD Elessdar fell down on her neck finishing the match in the injured box, luckily with no futher consequences.
    The Zons capitalized on it scoring and leaving a couple of turns to the elves, which to our shame we were not able to finalize into a score (it was close though, only a 2+ catch from the TD).

The second half saw 11 elves mounting an offense against 8 zons, thrusting deeply in their half, but once again failing a 2+ catch to get the ball to Elthanion for the final pass.
    What ensued was a quick attempt at scoring, instead of folding back to protect the ball (but we felt the pressure to score fast, if we wanted a chance at a defensive TD next), which required Elthanion to recover the ball close to a zon, dodge away to run downfield and pass the ball to Jagwen which was already positioned in the EZ.
    This either didn't work though, as Elthanion, after recovering the ball, failed to dodge out spilling the ball into the crowd, which decided to favour the zons throwing it back almost down to our EZ.

A quick scramble, already decribed, of some linewoman and our Valkard, ended up with the linewoman scoring the doubler.

Last 2 turns saw our designated ball retriever fail to pickup first and then Elthanion fail to catch the handoff the turn after. Not that it mattered anymore, but it added insult to injury.

Never happened such a bad ball handling, we suspect that someone used some squishy slippery substance on the ball, which the zons could probably neutralize using those gloves we saw on them.

Team is in perfect shape however, and ready to face the most difficult challenge of all: The nurgle rotters called "disordered personalities". We think we'll not make to the top of the standings, but we never desist, so ALL HAIL THE WOOD.

20. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    By the way, I am puzzled by what seems like an utter defeat, since until the last 3 turns (after the doubler, that is) I was still confident of my possibility to at least equalise and maybe win.

It is always difficult in BB to say if a loss is due to nuffle or really bad play, so if any wants to check the replay and add his comments here I'll be thankful.

Things I am unsure I should have done differently are as follows:
    - Leap and surf attempt: should I have limited to shutdown teh offense, blitzing away the FWD corner cage and marking teh BC with my Tackler WD?

-2nd half scoring attempt: should I have played it more safe, blitzing away Elthanion's marker, recovering the ball and switching side protecting teh ball carrier with a cage or a double screen? That would have most probably worked out, but eating a turn, thus leaving only 3 turns to steal a defensive TD.

Any other "debatable"play?