1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wood Elf W.o.o.d.

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Silfuin, Mar 27, 2014.

1. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I'd go with 11 players.
    If Zara is not carrying the ball you will be able to get a 2D leap blitz on the ballcarrier whenever you want.
    You have lots of dodge players and I guess he has no tackle.
    Stay out of contact with the trees. That way he has a choice of blitzing with a guy that can root or one that doesn't get SPP.
    Even if you are down to 6 players you can still score fairly easily and pressure the ballcarrier.
    Woodies are far harder for flings to deal with than bash/hybrid teams as the trees are a lot less useful.

2. Silfuin

Silfuin Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Ok, incredibly I won against Hawca and what's more important no elf was injured!

Next match is truly with Hudd's Orks, and I am thinking of keeping my niggled and otherwise permaed elves.
    The logic behind this is that I don't want to buy new men just before a match where there will be probably lots of injuries.
    It seems to me much better to stick to the "soon to be fired" elves, so even if they die it will not be a big damage.

The problem can be the thrower.
    Given the general consensus that he must go, shall I fire him now or wait until after the match with hudd?
    ST2 is dangerous for multiple reasons, but he can get his passes done anyway.

I will anyway buy a 12th elf to have a minimum bench.
    Then my tactics will be as usual: avoid orcs, squeeze through gaps some receivers, pass, score.
    On defense, columns until a good opportunity arises, then jump in and drop the ball.
    In the meantime foul everything that drops to the ground and try to surf out any orc that straddle close to the sideline.

So, any thoughts on all the above?

3. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Hard calls. By now I'm thinking you'll have started to learn what works for you.

For me I tend to sack throwers with ST breaks, since whichever skills they get they're definitely in the thick of fighting and I do run with 4 catchers. If you have fewer catchers and he's got plenty of passing skills he might be worth it. (Also if he's how you manage to keep a bench, he's worth it.)

So upon rereading your question :eek: I'd say "keep, since else you have zero bench - you can even put him on the los right away to beggar a hit"

Tactics seem sound.

4. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Nik.
    Sorry to continuously bother you all with my silly questions, but this game always presents me new challenges and I stll am not so sure what's best in the long term.
    I decided to heed your advice to build a treasury and stick with the players I have got, but now the players are a bit "bruised", and some of them have to go, so I will need to replace them sooner or later and it's just a matter of eciding when.

Now, counting my team I realized that with the death of a lino I have no bench anyway, so it seems worthless to keep the thrower and the niggled lino.
    I may as well sack them and play with loners against Hudd, as I am benchless anyway, at least I minimize the chance of someone going out.

5. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Sounds like a good plan.

The only problem with that is when they pick up the MVP but the players name is wrong.
    Then you have to decide which is more important 5 SPP or a player named correctly.
    I go for the name as generic names annoy me when everyone else is following a theme.

6. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Everything was going well.
    Despite rolling double skulls and snake eyes I managed to get the ball deep in the orc's half, screened and stalled one turn.
    Then it was time to score, but I had the insane idea that I wanted to score with my Catcher to level him up.
    After all he's got catch: move him in the end zone and handoff him the ball, what could go wrong?
    Yeah, you got the answer: ball scattered out and then in a bunch of orks, while at the same time my turn ended leaving all my men in contact with angry orcs.

I still had a chance of recovering the ball after a couple of turns, but failed again while my elves got depitched in the process.

After that it was a green tide flooding the pitch.

Cannot even say that at least the team is ok, as Meliwen, exactly the same guy I tried to level up, died a couple of turns from the end.

BBM 1D6 stats report +8 for teh Orcs and -9 for my elves.

I'm somewhat disappointed, as in my offense I feel I played rather well despite the bad luck, but honestly, when I was left to defend with 6 elves against 11 developed orcs (with lots of guard, and Sure Hands on the BC) there was very little I could do.

7. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    Wow! Alagosil, my Stripball Tackle wardancer got a levelup!

Normal skill: what should I give her?
    SS? JU? DT?

8. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Yea, handoff outside of endzone if possible, or ball can end up anywhere. And score with a lino if possible, catchers will get the scores anyway.

My third dancer skill is (as a rule) sidestep. Means less danger of surfing during plays close to the sideline, and better chances at remaining annoying while taking hits.

9. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    I took SS as third skill for WD, also because with the frenzier I tend to play close to the sidelines a lot and it's nice to have a sidestepper assist if needed.
    Also it's good to avoid multiple blocks when she remains in the middle of enemies after a cage bust attempt.

BC now is finishing and I get promoted to Reikland.
    I came close to the leaders, missing just one win to finish on top, so overall I would say a very good season, particularly so considering the level of the opposition.
    The last match gifted me with no less than 3 skillsĀ§:

Dinwe, my Frenzy WD got a normal skill. First to come to my mind is SS or Tackle, probably SS first given how many times she finishes her surfing plays close to the sideline.

Khoriel, my Wrodge lino got a normal skill. Tackle? The team has only one so far and he can be a very effective safety; true, woodies usually have other people for that, but they may be busy elsewhere (maybe chasing that deep thrower).
    Also Dauntless could be interesting and lastly Diving tackle to defend against those annoying catchers, but this one probably goes after tackle.

Belegorn, my rookie Thrower got his first skill and rolled 4+6=10: +MA, +AV or normal skill.
    Given the amount of throwers that I lost to injuries I should choose +AV, but probably it is a wasted skill on a thrower. So che choice is between +MA and accurate.

Any ideas?

I look forward to BC s9 in reikland.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  10. Nikolai II

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Sidestep on frenzier and wrodger both ain't wrong. The value of positioning skills increase as you get more of them.
    Also being able to send in a lino as the frenzy assist means the other dancer can hang back to remain available to hunt ball over entire pitch.

+move on a thrower ain't all that, but it's probably good enough. Blodge-SH next and it's a hunter-punter of lost balls.

11. Silfuin

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    That seems so very similar to my lost defensive Thrower Elthanion, which means I would need to hire an offensive thrower ... gotta think about that ...