1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warhammer Newbie

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Edjapo, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Edjapo

Edjapo Member

Country Flag:
    So I have been looking into games and the warhammer fantasy tabletop wargame caught my eye. I'm definitely into the game, but I'm not sure if I should go and buy the 8th Ed rules that have been out for awhile now or if I should buy the new Age of Sigmar rules. From what I've heard Age of Sigmar hasn't gotten the hottest reviews with some even saying it "killed the fantasy warhammer franchise". What do you guys think bbtactics?

2. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I would see what the locals to you are playing as getting games is the most important thing in choosing a game. The community could well split as FB is more complicated then 40k whilst at the moment Sigmar is less in depth. AoS does have the benefit that the rules and army books are free so if you get your hands on some models you can play straight away. Whilst I would not recommend anyone buys the 8th FB rules or army books at this moment as there is a large amount of flux. In a couple of months this could well have changed.

I probabily won't play Sigmar myself (to be fair I gave up on 8th about a year ago) but for a newbie I'd buy some of the FB models you like the look of which will play in both systems and give Sigmar a go whilst not buying either set of rules.

3. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    I would second that. Find a local wargaming club , go a few times to get a feel for what they play and then pick the game that they play that suits you best.

4. Edjapo

Edjapo Member

Country Flag:
    Ok cool, thanks CJ and Tys for the help!

5. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    Also look at Warmachine/hordes by Priveteer press or Kings of War by Mantic but only if you can find people who want to play.

6. Valokiloren

Valokiloren Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    ʋǟʟ
    Cyanide Username:
    Valokiloren
    Country Flag:
    Just take a gander at what people play in the local area if you want to play. But I'd avoid WHFB like the plague if you were to start out in 8th Ed. since the buy-in to get started was, last time I checked, about £300. I'm not sure what the buy in to get started is the US, but when I say buy in I mean the average cost to get to 2000-3000 points. That's fairly expensive if you aren't 100% sure if you'll enjoy playing the initial side you pick.

-shrugs- Then again, I disliked WHFB for forcing me to spend twice as much money to get the same results for my chosen force. I picked Vampire Counts as my initial force and found that to have something resembling the typical 1000 points I needed for the practice games I played I needed to get more than my box set made up and painted unless I made my Vampire into an "All Eggs in one basket" type general. Since I'd managed to get a 1000 point Minas Tirith force for LOTR without using Cavalry for only about £90 (not including the vast number of special characters), I was very put out by this. Should've expected it, but it's not something that GW advertise when you start out.

7. crimsonsun

crimsonsun Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    Vampires or Undead in general have always been a fairly pricey option in WFB because you need far more miniatures than those in your initial force for use when raising new undead regiments and calling forth new spirits from the grave. Mantic offer some solid cheaper options for the core of a Undead force though which is worth considering though I do feel that GW's miniatures are far superior overall I'd not be opposed to filling out my Zombies, Ghouls and Wraiths with Mantics versions, as well as using some of there Revenant's for additional skeletons. Also there forth coming Vampire Cavalry (not the current ones) look ace as a viable option in that regard and I've got a conversion planned for using 6 of Mantics Angels as Grim Reapers which will be used in place of the rather stupid (IMO) Vargeists GW include, however outside of those I just listed I'd stick to Gw's range out of preference as its much nicer. I also should mention that I heavily convert my regiments to fit having been a unit in another force (So Undead Elven Cavalry, or Empire infantry units while my summoned units all are coming out of the ground with coffin lids and tomb stones instead of shields) which requires far more extra bits found on GW sprues and lacking on Mantic's which is a basis of this perspective.

To the OP I've been a Warhammer player for 24 years or there about and I can say without a doubt that I'd not touch Age of Sigmar with a pole let alone spend money on it, however I'd not play 8th edition if given the choice either despite it doing a lot of stuff right it made huge changes that drove away a huge amount of the Warhammer core at the same time and its those changes I also cannot stand. I won't beat around the issue though as I just don't think there's a suitable Warhammer replacement on the Market currently and I've looked, though via Oldhammer (google it) you can most likely find gamers in your area willing to play a older edition though it would be worth checking out which edition that is before committing. I'm planning on editing a mix of 3 editions of Warhammer to create my ideal, I already know exactly how and what I'd change and its pretty simple to do just finding the time to do it though that's just for my personal preferences and finding gamers for it may be easier said than done.

8. 20phoenix

20phoenix Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    I've been shopping for high elf stuff in the last week and its like christmas at the moment. I drew up a list of the models I wanted and priced it up at GW prices which came to about £220 for about 2500 points. I then did some shopping around on miniature sites and ebay to find alternative vendors and there is a lot of value to be had right now thanks to people spitting feathers over AoS. I've bought over half my list and still havent broke £100 yet and have managed to add a few extras which werent on the list!

At the moment I have bought:

Codex - £3.50
    30 spearmen/10 archers with full command and magnetised bases/eltharion/anith anar/hero with sword and shield - £45
    Painted bolt thrower - £6
    Painted Alarielle - £8.50
    Painted BSB - £6.10

Just need to get more units now but they've been a bit more competitive. Even so I'm looking to come in at least £50 under budget ;)

9. crimsonsun

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    What's your list? I'm assuming 8th edition? I know Warhammer better than I know Necromunda and the likes so I can talk meta, lists, tactics and Army building while sleeping... :D

10. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    The list is based on AoS rules not 8th.

Eltharion (General)
    Alith Anar
    Alarielle
    Flamespyre Phoenix with Announced
    Archmage on Dragon
    10 Shadow Warriors
    5 Dragon Princes
    20 Spearmen (now have 30)
    20 Archers
    10 White Lions
    2 Bolt Throwers

I also intend on picking up an IoB boxed set, and selling off the skaven to mostly offset the cost which will add a prince on griffon, mage, 10 Lothern Seaguard, 10 Swordmaster and 5 reavers.

11. phototropia

phototropia Member

Cyanide Username:
    phototropia
    Country Flag:
    AoS certainly has made traditional WHFB players mad (I watched some guy burn his army on youtube)
    There are people working on a community ruleset update to 8th edition called 8.5
    Look into picking up armies 2nd hand on ebay, if you like to paint look at Mantix minis already mentioned above

If you like the skirmish fantasy of AoS look into Warmachine.

12. crimsonsun

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    Where can I find information on this 8.5 community ruleset, though I doubt they are are to revert the movement phase back to its previous form which is the reason why I stopped playing when 8th was released.

13. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    I think there's a thread on warseer about it.

Received all the stuff I bought at the weekend - turns out the 30 Spearmen were actually 19 Spearmen and 13 Lothern Seaguard. For some reason my glue won't hold when trying to glue Eltharion together though - I must have been holding it for 20-30 mins! Any ideas?

14. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Clean it up?

Or else try again, now that the glue has hopefully soaked in and you can glue the glue-surfaces together.

A drill and a pin or two is also a great idea.

15. 20phoenix

Cyanide Username:
    20phoenix
    Country Flag:
    Tried it a second time and still won't glue. Filed down the surface too to increase the area of contact but no joy. Pinning scares me :p

16. crimsonsun

Cyanide Username:
    crimsonsun
    Country Flag:
    What's it made from and What glue are you using?

Pinning is beyond easy actually though simply drill a matching hole with a pin vice and then cut a bit of paper clip to size and stick it in, if the hole goes though the cast material into the hollow centre of the miniature then even better because you can bend your paper clip at a right angle and then only glue one side and leave the other (say connecting to a rider or wings for example) not glued so it can be removed for ease of painting, storage and being used as a ridden or bound monster.

As well as pinning once done you'll want to fill the joins with green stuff which again provides additional strength. Finally if its not sticking and assuming your using the right glue then try washing the miniature in warm soapy water with a tooth brush, some glues and paints leave a oily residue on a model that stops paint and glue from working properly which needs to be removed before it can be stuck together, if the model is Resin (I assume finecrap is the same as I've never used it) then this should always be done before assembly because the oils in the material used to help remove them from the mould's will cause the same issue. Failing that and assuming the miniatures resin or Metal then there's a couple of tricks with super glue. First LESS is MORE, the strongest bonds use very little glue, secondly before placing the glued to the unglued surface blow on it gently for 3-5 seconds this will speed the rate it dries, once contact is made if you can clip the miniature together using a vice (though pad it if on resin or a area of detail) and then leave it for 5-6 hours if its stuck as so there's no movement or give (don't use to much pressure obviously) then fill the gaps and smooth the joins with green stuff, also if your really struggling place a tiny amount of green stuff in the join before gluing and glue into that as it will stick solidly to that. However all these tricks while working perfectly on anything man or even ogre sized (unless metal) won't hold the weight long term for a monster or large metal component so these must be pinned as well and then strengthened as above otherwise they will just break constantly.