1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching live BB games online?

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by RedDevilCG, Dec 15, 2009.

1. RedDevilCG

RedDevilCG Member

Just curious if anyone knows of a way to watch blood bowl matches as an observer online. I am the only person I know who plays blood bowl, and I was introduced through the Cyanide game. Besides my own games, and good advice from sites such as this one (thanks Coach and others!), I have no way of expanding my depth of tactics and experience. I also can't just enjoy a game of blood bowl without being in the hot-seat myself. Sometimes being a spectator is more fun than a player.

I find I usually learn more by watching other good players, but as no one around here plays the game that is not possible. :(

So far the only things I have found are recordings using Javabowl, which are good, but I've already watched them all and they're not live.

Thanks everyone.

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Sign up at Da Leeg you can spectate games on there and even download replays of previous matches from the site as well. Has all the teams and rules implemented as well.

3. sunnyside

sunnyside Member

4. RedDevilCG

RedDevilCG Member

Well I managed to have a game on Da Leeg, and I have say it was an interesting first game.

Someone offered to help learn the client by playing a game. I happily accepted only to find that he was more interested in winning, and fouling all my players, while I was left trying to figure out how to pass a ball properly. I have a pretty bad taste in my mouth now.

On the plus side, the client uses all the rules (except the cards?) and has all the different teams! I'll have to explore more.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  5. Coach

Country Flag:
    I should perhaps point out the software that it uses has the most comprehensively correct implementation of the current rules of any available. That can take some getting used to if coming to it from playing something else, like declaring actions properly and all the skills use being optional.

I recommend just getting the software first and playing two teams yourself against each other in standalone mode to get used to it before looking to play someone else.

6. Ork from Mork

Ork from Mork New Member

There are a few coaches in Da Leeg that are pretty foul happy and really like to bash the crap out of a team, but most aren't that brutal. The guy you played against got scolded for being so ruthless to a newbie. I wasn't able to watch the replay of the game, but I heard it was pretty rough!

If you want to give it another go, I'm sure you can find someone that'll be a bit more gentle. I certainly wouldn't mind helping you out.

7. RedDevilCG

RedDevilCG Member

I'm traveling around the US a bit visiting family, and I definitely want to give Da Leeg another try! I'm going to see if I can get the app to run off my flash drive, then I should be able to get to know the community better and try to get a better handle on the client, without leaving any sort of foot print on a strangers/relatives computer. :p

I guess I better be sure to let people know that I may need to stop playing without much warning if I need to give up the computer, or board a plane or something. So the emphasis would be on a casual, fun, game ;)

8. Coach

Country Flag:
    Should be able to play games within 2 hours.

You can resume them at a later date if you do need to leave, though this will tie up both teams until the game is finished, so do warn your opponent before you start out of courtesy.

That may make it harder to get a game though

9. RedDevilCG

RedDevilCG Member

Thanks for the advice again coach. Spectated my first game yesterday: Halflings vs. Vampires and it was very entertaining! If I can't get a game in, spectating is almost as fun, if not a lot more relaxing than being in the hot seat.

10. necrosis

necrosis New Member

Just to back up what Ork said, there are plenty of people who play at stuntyleeg who dont foul like mad. I also had problems adjusting to botocs, mainly i keep forgetting i have to declare a pass or hand off action at the start of the move of a player!

I have seen most of the replay from the game in question though only for testing stat templates!

Hopefully when we get enough regular coaches at stuntyleeg so we can form some scheduled online leegs and the like there. A blood bowl tactics league could be hosted there, using the botocs client perhaps?