Tactics What team to survive this gauntlet?

hungrygnome

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Im starting this thread to get opinions on a team that can survive, and hopefully win, with the league set that my tabletop group plays. I was originally intending to play Slann, but the teams I was expecting took a strange turn, and now the league is looking alot different than originally voiced.

So far, the confirmed teams are:

Khorne
Underworld
Chaos
Necromantic
Orc
Ogre

We play between 21-30 games in a season. Its about 2 months away before the next season starts. I try not to double up on a team already being played, and I prefer "Bash and Dash" style or AGI teams over pure beat stick teams like Chaos or Dwarfs.

So what team do you think can survive till the bitter end? Are Slann still viable?

John McGuirk

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
"survive"

"win"

"Bash and Dash"

= Undead. :skull::skull::skull::skull:

Slann would be a struggle, although they're better when the Catchers and Blitzers have some skills, so at that length of a league they might come into their own a little. All of the teams involved are slow developers, apart from the Orcs, which might give you a hand.

hungrygnome

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
The orcs are the team that could give me the most possible trouble, though the player coaching them is used to trying to play humans like an elf team.

hungrygnome

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I was wondering if you were going to edit out Pro Elf. lol. Dark is a serious contender now, as they are the best suited towards a "Bash and Dash" style of all the elves.

Viajero

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Yeah, I was going to also recommend Dark Elves if you are too keen on the (relative) bash part. Otherwise I d also consider Woodies or even Pros actually. That league will be probably be missing a lot of Tackle so you may not go wrong with any of the elf teams.

Also Skaven by the way. Slightly more bash and even more dash than elves.

Last edited:

Mystro

Veteran
Country Flag
If you feel your fundamentals are sound the racial mix so far is near ideal for flings. Slow bashers, reroll hungry and Slayer vulnerable... only the underworld fall outside your comfort zone but only just, and you can probably trust the rest of the league to keep them in check. If you want to try and win a league with flings this racial mix is the sort of thing you’d be hoping for.

The standard answer is of course wood or dark elf. The two best teams in the game and always competitive against any mix of opponents and TVs.

hungrygnome

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I really do like what skaven has going for it.. which is part of why I considered Slann. they are similar, though the Slann are slower, but better armored, than the skaven. Im just looking at that and thinking that the skaven will get shredded.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
2 teams starting with Claw and another that will get it.

Go for AV7.

Woodies are probably best but the tree is likely to take some injuries.
Pro elf blitzers are great against Frenzy.
Gutter Runners can run rings around everything but Necro.

The Orcs will be the biggest problem whichever you go for.

Burius81

Rookie
Country Flag
I would go with Dark Elves or Skaven if you are comfortable with playing more agile/maneuverable teams. If you don't like those two then Undead seem like a good fit.

Voltorocks

Veteran
Country Flag
Skaven are cheap enough to keep a roster full, though they tend to dash a lot and bash not-so-much.

Dark/high elves are tough enough to be replaced as they die (don't listen to the guy worried about claw, imo. Claw is third skill at the absolute soonest, and often means teams are passing up other useful skills)

Woodies and Pros will win games, especially early. However, against such a bashy league, they are likely to suffer *very* high attrition. Expect almost all of your lineman to soon be journeyman, and to have difficulty replacing/increasing you positionals. Pro are probably the better of the two in this regard, because of cheaper line elves and AV 8 blitzers.

hungrygnome

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
These are all new TV 1000 teams, looking to go through 4 different cups. The first 5 games, all SPP accrue, but no injuries carry over to the next game. No stats are tallied for the purpose of league points for these games either. Its a 5 game period for building up your team. After these 5 games, its BB as normal.

Its usually 4-5 games per qualifying period (depending on how many coaches there are) before a cup, with 4 cups. First is Chaos Cup, then Dungeon Bowl, Spike Cup, then the Blood Bowl itself.

Fallowheart

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Fallowheart
Country Flag
Amazons or Dark Elves where every skill up is block or dodge. blodge should not be discounted and that will make you a living nightmare for this league...

Limdood

Mega Star Player
Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
Country Flag
if you go the all-blodge route (which definitely has promise), you'll want to have some dirty players floating around too, to remove tacklers.

I would even lean towards a dirty player Dark elf lino. I know they're expensive (a DP only lino is 90 TV), but they're removing a skill that your opponent has in (hopefully) short supply. Especially those chaos, chaos at low TV just fall apart to blodge

Voltorocks

Veteran
Country Flag
The first 5 games, all SPP accrue, but no injuries carry over to the next game. No stats are tallied for the purpose of league points for these games either. Its a 5 game period for building up your team. After these 5 games, its BB as normal.

This changes things somewhat. Expensive injury prone teams like wood elves and pro elves are a lot more viable if you get 5 injury-free games to cover them with blodge and build up a bankroll. Still more risky IMHO than dark or high elves (who can also abuse this system of ressurection-style opening games), but much more viable in a long format like this.

crimsonsun

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
crimsonsun
Country Flag
I am going to be different and say Norse, my first thoughts were also Undead, but Norse are great from the word go, with the amount of matches you are looking at a Norse team wont be facing teams that can utterly smash you.

A big furry one will cause the Orc team who would be you main concern for the early half of the league a proper headache, and all that block is a nightmare for teams like Necro and Chaos early. They are cheap enough so you will quickly have a deep bench to cushion any injuries you suffer, and yet they still have a little bit of speed and enough Ag that you are not forced into a 1 dimensional play style.

Crimsonsun