1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactics What's the best play?

Discussion in 'League and Team Development Tactics' started by patbou73, Aug 14, 2020.

1. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Me and @Silfuin were having this conversation in another thread, but I think it could be interesting for everyone to put our mind together to solve a few puzzles, and to discuss what could be the best play, best setup, best tactic...

Turn 6, and it's 1-1 in a match of Woodies vs Woodies. Opponent caged the ball on my side, and carrier is one GFI away from scoring a TD (yes, there was a hole in my defense, and opponent punched through). BTW, my Treeman recovered from a Stun this turn, and you can see it standing up, so that's all he can do for this turn. What's the best way to prevent a quick TD?

Attack the cage 1.jpg
    This is what I did (image below) :
    Eldril hypnotised a corner, and a Guard marked the carrier (remember the carrier is ST4, and has SS). I moved everyone in contact with his players, to disrupt their ability to catch the ball if I can succeed a leap/blitz with my Strip Ball WD. I indeed got a Push, and he side stepped to the left, as expected. He lost the ball, and after a few players tried to catch it, if fell outside the cage. I had no player left to cover it or try to pick it up, but my guess was that it would have been too far away to get it anyway (as the Side Step to the left was expected), and that it was better to prevent anyone from catching it, and make opponent's next turn a big puzzle (considering my 2 Guards and the hypnotized player).
    Attack the cage 2.jpg

How would you have played that turn?

2. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    Another very important moment of that match was turn 10. Here's the situation :

Turn 10.jpg

You can't see it on that screenshot, but my Guard in the middle just got up (was prone), and can't move anymore for that turn. What's the best play to get the ball to safety, and prevent the equalizer? Remember that opponent has two ST4 Wardancers, that can leap in any cage and most probably hit with 2D.

FYI, the ball was in my Thrower's hands (and he was in the square the WD is now in), before opponent leaped in my half cage. Thrower got down, lost the ball, but it bounced in my Catcher's hands. I know my screen/cage was strange, but I opted for that formation because I knew a ST4 WD could jump above a screen and hit ball carrier. And I prefered to have the back corners of the cage on each side of my carrier instead, to provide some assist when the culprit would leap in. Was that wrong?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  3. Silfuin

Silfuin Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Silfuin
    Country Flag:
    You were right, that st4 dancer has indeed tackle ... still because of sidestep I am unsure if perhaps dodging could have been better anyway, maybe doing the long route requiring just 2+ dodge and handing off to the dancer who would then hide to safety in the cage.

Speaking of cages, did you think about using an "I" cage?
    Those are specifically tailored to lower the chances for leapers, and with guard on the right corners even a st4 dancer would have a hard time not getting a -2d uphill block.

4. patbou73

patbou73 Active Member

Country Flag:
    I’ve seen the I cage before, but never understood the value of it. Now that you bring it up, I get a better grasp of the concept... I’ll put that into practice, thanks!