1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your view on Horatio - the new Fireball wizard in BB2016

Discussion in 'NAF Resurrection Tournament Tactics' started by Derekhunt, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Derekhunt

Derekhunt New Member

Country Flag:
    What's your view on using Horatio in the new BB2016?

Waste of inducement cash in a tournament setting or has some redeeming factor?

2. Veggente85

Veggente85 Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    More info plz^^

3. Derekhunt

Derekhunt New Member

Country Flag:
    Horatio is the new fireball wizard at 80,000 gp. You can use the wizard's fireball twice per game, i.e. once per half.

The area of effect and 4+ knockdown plus injury chances affected as per a mighty blow is unchanged to the current wizard but the big change is that it ALWAYS scatters 1d3 squares. Any opinions on his usefulness or lack thereof are welcome!

4. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    Is it a turnover if you knock down your own players. And can you use it at any time or only at the start or end of your turn.

5. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    For 80K that sounds amazing to be honest.

6. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    Orielensis
    Cyanide Username:
    Orielensis
    Country Flag:
    That's because you play in the true spirit of BB :p

I think it sounds terrible (Argh the variance!) :D

7. Veggente85

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    You know that you may reduce variance by rolling more dices? :p

DireSickFish and Orielensis like this.
  8. comfort_eagle

comfort_eagle Active Member

Steam Username:
    comfort_eagle
    Country Flag:
    Sounds a lot like a goblin bomber to me, minus the fun of intercepts and at twice the cost...

9. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    Oh I thought you meant the ball scattered 1d3 squares if knocked loose, I am actually working so attention is divided. In that case a lot more meh.

10. Veggente85

Steam Username:
    VeggenteBBT
    Cyanide Username:
    Veggente
    Country Flag:
    I think I would take it in an elf team instead than an extra apo, as an inducement. 2 good shots on a cage corner.

11. tys123

tys123 Courier Staff

Country Flag:
    If it scatters once D3 squares then that is only a 2 in 3 chance of hitting the cage.
    So 1 in 6 chance of knocking down the ballcarrier ( scatter 1 square and 4+ to knock down ).
    1 in 3 chance of hitting 2 corners with 50% chance of knocking each down ( non diagonal scatter + up to 2 squares )
    1 in 3 chance of hitting only 1 corner with 50% chance of knocking it down
    1 in 3 chance of missing completely.

That is a lot worse than the old wizard but is half the price and can be used twice.

Less than a 50% chance of knocking down someone in the cage assuming a standard 4 point cage.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  12. cjblackburn

cjblackburn Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    cjblackburn
    Country Flag:
    I've used it and seen it used. Whilst it is not entirely useless it basically becomes use at the start of the drive and see what happens. In effect because it scatters d3 most teams will either be too far away if it does work or close enough that it could cause a turnover. If you use it late you could lose your turn at a very important time so it get used early. Basically it is worth 80k so don't expect too much.

13. Dionysian

Dionysian Member

Country Flag:
    It's good value. Attrition-focused usage tho, not a ball-popper.

14. Derekhunt

Derekhunt New Member

Country Flag:
    Dionysian - When you mention attrition usage - you mean to take one or more of the opposing team out?

CJ Blackburn - why would it cause a turnover later in the drive? Did you mean if it was used on the my turn and if I had the ball (assuming I was the one with Horatio)? I thought it would be best used defensively to avoid the turnover risk.

15. Zoraster

Zoraster Active Member

Country Flag:
    Resurrection tournament build shouldn't touch him with a bargepole. In league play he has his uses but you need the skills on the team to take advantage of the unpredictable openings he can create. If the normal wizard opens the door Horatio gives you a lockpick. He has been highly effective in my TT league but only for highly developed teams.

As far as the turnover issue is concerned I assume CJ is thinking about houserules his league uses or something. Horatio works just like a CRP wizard in this respect; he only causes a turnover if he knocks down his ball carrier.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  16. SirSebstar

SirSebstar Member

Country Flag:
    Eh the book dea zone season two states; " if a player on Horatio's team is knocked down by a fireball, they do NOT suffer a turnover unless that player was carrying the ball at the time"