1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules When should teams retire?

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by Gio, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Gio

Gio Member

Country Flag:
    I have recently been appointed as the Deputy in charge of running the next tourney (Comissioner will be abroad for a few months!!). I think I can handle it, however there are some new coaches, and some older ones want to keep their already skilled up teams. It seems to me a bit unfair for the new coaches who are just starting to face experienced teams (as well as experienced coaches), and it also seems unfair to force older coaches to start new teams (after all they recruited the new coaches... which means I know them better than the new coaches). I guess the cards and spiralling expenses will have to be enough. There is one special case, though. there's this DE team that has over 3M TV, and his coach wants to enter with it. So, questions:
    1) Is there a limit for TV?
    2) Is there a recommended TV when teams should retire? If not, when should teams retire?
    3) Should I allow these maniac DE in the tourney?

2. Zweistein

Zweistein Member

there is the option to give the new teams the option to choose some skillups on their team.

or you can set a higher startcash. say for example 1.200k cash.

a combination of this two options is possible too. like if you want a skill on some player you have "to pay" for it. like 20k for first skill and 30k for the second on the same player aso. but you can also spend your extracash in a extrareroll or an other positional ...

This makes sense till say 1.500 TV but after that ... i don't think its working.
    And you can include teams up to 2000 TV. but thats harsh. 1.700-1.800 is more decent.

To the 3000TV darkelf trainer ... is he serious? just the idea of it let me thing of a person who takes fun of hiting children or something. its simply messing the league up.
    and on top of that if he is so fond of his team he might get mad if it is beaten up by some of the mean cards or starplayers. lets say he faces some newbeeteams in a row. they get loads of inducements and spend them for example in chainsaw, bombardier, mainiac ... the oh so nice team is cut to pieces and his mind is working the way mentioned above. he will throw up and will make a scene out of a bad movie ...

3. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I don't personally ever like to retire teams though every table top league I've played in we all start new teams every season. Unfortunately that often means you don't really get that many games to develop a team with but I go along with the majority rules. I'd rather do that then not have a league to play in at all.

Regarding a team with a TV of over 3,000 (a 1 million GP starting team is 1000 TV, so think you meant 3,000 not 3 million) they aren't going to get any winnings at all for ages. Other teams will also now get A LOT of inducements to use against them. Once he starts losing players his TV will start to drop as he can't afford to replace players.

I would even extend the Spiralling Expenses even further to deplete his treasury if he has a lot saved up which can happen.

Talking to all the coaches in the league may be best though and see if they all mind. Explain to the new guys about the situation and how they can combat his team with a new one. If they go into games against a team like that knowing what is likely to happen they are less likely to get put off by it. The coach with the high TV team may also be convinced to perhaps start a new team this season and then save the Dark Elves for the next one after all the new guys have had a chance to play some games with their teams. Most coaches are pretty reasonable, there is no reason to force him to retire his team, he can just use them in the season afterwards.

The rules were changed to try and accommodate situations like this, new teams can face off against any TV team now and have a chance whereas before they didn't use to. There is no rule for forcing teams to retire if they reach a certain TV either. The rules were designed to stop teams from just getting higher and higher in TV and it will eventually catch up with him as players get injured and die.

If you do go ahead and he plays that team against all the new teams, then there are plenty of secret weapons and strong big guy players that can go up against his team. They can also hire plenty of Mercenaries and do plenty of fouling against him, especially if it looks like the game is lost. A Wizard would also be a very good idea against Dark Elves, Block and Dodge doesn't help much against a Lightening Bolt!

4. Netsmurf

Netsmurf Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Netsmurf
    Country Flag:
    In my league all coaches has to enter two teams at seasonstart, a rookie team and an experienced team. They battle in two different divisions. The Rookie division and a superdivision with free TV. Sadly we lost all data so we start with two rookie teams this year. But it negates some of the difference.

Have tried to play in a league were there was no fixed game scedule. My Lizards zoared to over 2 mill TV and the last half of the season I had to play Morg ´n Throg and all other kinds of inducements designed to wack my skinks. It was boring. The only challence in a game like that is surving with all you players. I prefer to play against equal TV teams.

PS. team value is in millions. Page 25 in the PDF or page 29 as the pagenumber says.

Brio

5. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    Quite right ignore me, confused myself with calling new teams TV1000 instead of TR100.

Should really be TV1000k, force of habit kicking in of dropping the last three 0s as they are semi redundant.

6. Gio

Gio Member

Country Flag:
    Thank you all for your quick responses and wise advice. I like the idea of allowing coaches to enter two teams and play in separate divisions. Veteran coaches will keep their skilled teams to play in Division A, and may enter Division B with a new team. New coaches will enter Division B with new teams and those wishing to participate in Division A may do so with teams that will get more cash to buy skills and RR. Seems like a Salomonic solution to my dilemma.
    The other option is to encourage everyone to maim and kill as many Dark Elves as possible (that way only one person gets frustrated instead of the majority).
    I'll try to set up a meeting with all the coaches this weekend and present the first option; if there's a general agreement then everyone will be happy (otherwise, I'll be the first to play against DE with my veteran Orc team :cool:)

Thanks again.