1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why would I put diving tackle and shadowing on the same player?

Discussion in 'General Blood Bowl News and Discussion' started by razor436, Aug 2, 2012.

1. razor436

razor436 New Member

Country Flag:
    Reading some Players guides on the main site, I can't understand why anyone would put 'diving tackle' and 'shadowing' on the same player.
    On the one hand, if I want my player to dive tackle someone and fails, he cannot follow up with shadowing. And if I send my player to shadow someone instead, then at what point would I use the diving tackle skill?
    It seems to me that both skills serve the same purpose of countering dodging players but I don't see how having both skills is better than only one on a player.
    Somewhat akin to block and wrestle. Both counter 'both down' in a different way, but you can only use one or the other.

2. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    If the opposing player rolls a 6 on the dodge roll, then Diving Tackle is going to make no difference. So then you would choose to attempt to use Shadowing. This may likely force them to make another dodge attempt, where Diving Tackle could be used to cause a turnover.

You can also choose to not use Diving Tackle if they still have their Dodge skill to use and you know they are going to be attempting multiple dodges (if your Shadowing works). This is especially the case if they are out of team rerolls as well and Diving Tackle means they still only need a 4+ to make the dodge (typically AG4 players). So you make use of Shadowing to eat up their rerolls and then use Diving Tackle to pull the turnover trigger.

Usually having this combo on an opposing player will stop them attempting a dodge at all and force them to try a more complex plan that involves more rolls. The disruption factor can be a massive advantage.

3. Lebe666

Lebe666 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Prehensile tail is probably a better combination with either of these skills...

4. dodger

dodger Member

Cyanide Username:
    drdodger
    Country Flag:
    And available to a lot less players than the Shadowing/Diving Tackle combo.

5. mrpier

mrpier Member

Get Shadowing, Diving Tackle, Tackle, Prehensile Tail on a +2 MV beastman. Not the most versatile player though.

6. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Exchange one +Move for Sidestep, and put it all on a Gutter Runner instead :p

7. danton

danton Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    danton
    Country Flag:
    I would change one +Ma for Block on the Beastman and he becomes a great marker and better all-rounder.

I also like building a human blitzer as a marker if he gets an early move boost. Something like: +Ma, Tackle, Guard, Shadowing and Stand Firm can make for a very useful man marker, who can also perform a wide variety of tasks on the field.

8. Viajero

Viajero Active Member

Country Flag:
    Side Step, Tackle, Diving Tackle and Shadowing is also a very popular WD and woodie Catcher build btw. Very very high on the annoying factor scale...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  9. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    For what it's worth (admittedly, not much) I agree with razor in thinking that Shadowing and Diving Tackle is a sub-optimal combination of skills for a marker. I've given my reasons in this thread.

Your marker would ideally want Block, Dodge, and either Sidestep or Stand Firm in addition to their first marking skill (Shadowing or Diving Tackle). The fifth skill is going to be the last that the vast majority of players manage to pick up, and I think Tackle would be a better complement in either case. Having said that, Wood Elves can do it easier than most thanks to the positionals starting with some of the necessary skills. I'd hate to have to deal with the WD build Viajero mentions above.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  10. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    Dreamy
    Cyanide Username:
    Dreamy
    Country Flag:
    Pro Elf Blitzers can do it as easily as Wardancers, and have the advantage of higher AV and being able to leave the blitzing business to the catchers, so that's the most likely place for a Blodge-SS-Tackle-DT But sure, shadowing would work even better on a WD.