1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup Play Offs

Discussion in 'World Cup' started by mamutas, May 26, 2016.

1. mamutas

mamutas Super Moderator Moderator

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    coldy likes this.
  2. Balsha

Balsha Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Balsha
    Country Flag:
    You can all still see my match on my twitch channel, if you wish so ! I will provide some recap here, however. This is my second "big" tourney, BBT being the first one. Pressure was immense and i was not used to it (still not used to it). I was shaking more or less the whole match.

First half started with lizards receiving and pulling a cage on the side. Me, being an idiot, allowed to get 2 dwarfs surfed. Flat out did not even think. Luckily, no one got injured and it was a fairly easy score for the lizard. Skinks were made of steel and i did not manage to get out a single one. He scored, leaving me 3 turns to score back, which i could not manage.

Second half is where i lost most of my nerves. After some pretty standard blocking and running, i have managed to get a runner into scoring position on turn 16. I got based by a saurus and a skink. I had a chainpush play where i needed 1 pow in 5 dice, 3 of which would be perfect with either pow or both down. Did not get any of those, unfortunately and had to dodge out. Failed.....re-roll into a TD.

Then he gets a riot !!!

3+ to win the game for him, just a catch from a skink. He failed.

Overtime.

I won the coin toss but he got a BLITZ!

Rest is history...

mamutas and coldy like this.
  3. Arcturus

Arcturus Member

Country Flag:
    I was also pretty nervous before my game, but things went well right from the start.

Someone must have greased the ball before the start of the game, because the opposing team's dark elves were simply unable to pick it up in the first two turns (despite a reroll on the second try). Although my wardancer faced similar trouble at first, after a reroll he was able to scoop it up for a quick touchdown. The dark elves were able to score an equalizer under pressure, giving the wood elves two turns to attempt a second touchdown. I was down to one wardancer at this point, and he rolled his double-skulls before I could do much when the ball was kicked to me (at least he didn't knock himself out like the other wardancer did when HE rolled double-skulls), so the first half ended 1-1.

The second half started with a relatively quick score for my team, as I was down three players and wanted to get some knockouts (like my second wardancer) back in. Nuffle smiiled upon my wood elves as they were able to blitz on the kickoff and secure the ball. Still three players down though (that wardancer slept on the sidelines the whole game) , it was anything but certain that the dark elves wouldn't be able to recover it. After a some back and forth in the middle of the pitch, the dark elves were able to recover the ball, but a long pass over an unguarded elf resulted in an interception to seal the match.

Although my MVP of the game was a lineelf that died, my wardancer that scored both touchdowns got +AGI! Strip ball would be nice facing dark elves again in the next round, but an agility 5 wardancer is even better.

4. notorious noob

notorious noob Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Not much to say about my game, had terrible dice and didnt play that well.

5. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    And again! Good job guys! Keep fighting!!!

6. Balsha

Balsha Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Balsha
    Country Flag:
    OMG, if you guys have not watched my game, i believe you should. It was a really entertaining game !!! SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

So, first half began with a GODAWFUL kick which enabled the orcs to base all of my dorfs the way they wanted. I was left with 1d blocks all around and nowhere to move. I valiantly tried to do something, but in the end i used up all of my re-rolls and he got the ball. I proceeded to fail first action on 2 turns in a row and he scored on my receiving half. I was thinking "game is fucking over", as most of my chat did. In the second half, he seemed to want to rush and get SPP so he made a careless play and left me an "easy" 1d chainpushes to get couple of dice on the ball. I knocked the ball off, fought tooth and nail for it and managed to score, somehow ! Then, i won the coin toss. He was one player up on me, since all of our KO's woke up and i had a guy injured. Again i had a godawful kick, which forced me into a corner, where orcs pressed hard. At the end, i was forced to make a sideline cage, in order to keep the ball safe for another turn, at least. Then, i saw the opportunity to dash through, perfectly knowing that he can free up 2 blitzers and get 2d on me. To be completely honest, i was hoping for him to fail a black orc block that he had to make, we did not have any re-rolls in the overtime. He then double pows the guy with the blorc and gets a assist and a blitz. I had to invoke the mojo there and i called down the dubskulls. I blitzed him off and my runner ran away to score. 2-1 for the Dorfs!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    mamutas and coldy like this.
  7. Kalick

Kalick Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kalick
    Country Flag:
    That was probably the most entertaining of the WC games I've watched. Congrats on the win!

8. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    How are you been doing, @Kalick ? Want to share your stories?
    Two games, two wins - congrats!

9. Kalick

Kalick Member

Cyanide Username:
    Kalick
    Country Flag:
    My games have been less entertaining than Balsha's. I'm playing lizards and both my games have been against wood elves. I was concerned by the wardancers, but luck was on my side in both games. First game I killed one with a :pow:, and the other was BH when he snake eyed a dodge. My second opponent was Muadib from Germany (he said NAF players would probably recognize him), and he went into the game with only 1 WD because the other was injured in the first round. This did allow him to get a wizard though. Nuffle really wanted me to win this game, as I pitch cleared the elves aside from the tree who was rooted and away from the action.

My next game up is against Mr Light's dwarves. The massacre of the second game allowed me to skill up my saurus, so I have 2 saurus levels and a +AG skink heading into my third game. My strategy of outbashing my opponent won't hold up as well against these dwarves, so we'll see how it goes. He likely only has 1 guard (runner and longbeard levels pending) so if I can manage that I think it will be a close game.

mamutas and Ravers like this.
  10. notorious noob

notorious noob Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Not looking bad though agi 4 skinks can perform miracles.

11. Jeliel

Jeliel Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Jeliel
    Country Flag:
    I forgot to post about my game!

There wasn’t much to say anyway, my Orcs got an impossible pairing against Lizards and I didn’t play well either, when starting getting outbashed.
    Nonetheless it was fun, I didn’t really care much about the WC proper and the important part for me was qualifying and winning the BBT trophy! :D

Hopefully they will change stuff for the (eventual) next WC tournament, direct elimination is possibly the worst format one could think of.
    Better than nothing I guess.

Good luck for the guys still going! :pow:

12. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    And now there were 2.

Congrats to @Balsha and @Mossman for making it into Top 8!

Both teams are Dwarves as there are 5 out of 8 teams promoted.

13. Balsha

Balsha Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Balsha
    Country Flag:
    Mossman has an insane team, i would not really be surprised if he wins the whole thing !

14. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    When did you schedule your next games?

15. Balsha

Balsha Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Balsha
    Country Flag:
    Just scheduled it. Monday 19 GMT is when it is at !

16. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    Good luck!

17. Mossman

Mossman Member

Country Flag:
    Sunday 19:00 GMT

18. mamutas

Steam Username:
    mamutas
    Cyanide Username:
    mamutas
    Country Flag:
    It was a good run and it is really a big achievement for @Balsha and @Mossman making it that far. Congrats to you!

And thank you all who participated.

coldy likes this.
  19. Balsha

Balsha Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    Balsha
    Country Flag:
    Ah well, i blame it all on that dubskull into a failed gfi for a gunner surf :D

20. coldy

coldy Active Member

Cyanide Username:
    coldy
    Country Flag:
    Famous bb last words;
    ahh, double skulllll ! (close to power off) ... :)
    Happent to me in the first round against Sparta... That's bloodbowl...

I hope they can make the format better if they organize another tournament next year.