1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Human Wurthugel Wardens (retired)

Discussion in 'Team Blogs' started by Ilgoth, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    Humans and Norse are my favourite 2 teams, I like the versatility as you say, but I also like the challenge as neither are traditionally viewed as particularly strong (though early game Norse are actually really strong!).

Main problem Humans have is (although they too start off pretty strong) once the other teams skill up, the very average stat line means it becomes more and more difficult to do things. Once you get to around 1600 - 1700 TV any bash team is going to cause you serious problems, and you really need skills to compensate against their extra Strength and Guard. At the same time you need skills to negate the agility teams with their extra mobility and ability to stay away from your players. So you need a lot of skills to remain competitive, but from my experience it is very difficult to keep your key players healthy. Add to this that the Human Blitzers in particular are expensive for what you get (same stat line as a DE Blitzer but -1 Agi for only 10K less for example), and your TV can balloon very quickly.

Norse have it a bit easier as they have a bit of extra Strength from the Ulfs, much better linemen (almost perfect out the box 50K with block), and more useful starting skills to do their job. Norse really need to remove opponents players to win, remove them before they remove you! The skill sets they get with the mass frenzy, Claw on the Yeti, Jump up/Block/Frenzy on the 'zerkers allow them to often be able to do this, once a few opposition players are off the pitch it becomes so much easier to move, cage, score, even with the Str and Agi 3.

As a coach who has played 6 seasons in BC2 with Norse, and numerous Munch / Little Crunch tourneys with Humans (pretty successfully with both:p), I would definitely say Norse are stronger. To make Humans into a 'winning group' will require some luck, and a lot of skill. You only have to look at the records of the other 2 Human teams in BC2 this year to see they are not easy to win with. BC2 is harder though because of the perpetual nature of it, Humans are much stronger in shorter competitions before attrition kicks in too badly on your players and the opponents skill up.

Have you tried playing Dark Elves at all? They are basically like superior Humans but without the Strength skill access. All round Agi 4 though makes them a lot easier to do stuff.

2. Kubusta

Kubusta Member

Steam Username:
    steamcommunity.com/id/kubusta
    Cyanide Username:
    Kubusta
    Country Flag:
    I have to disappoint you. I haven't lost...

@Ilgoth

3. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    :(:(:(:(:( These dorf players...

Kubusta likes this.
  4. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Time to get this blog into this season! Two reports, first provided by my week 1 opponent @tys123 :

Then week 2 match, took place yesterday.

[​IMG]
    Match is available for replay here

Necromantics won the toss, and really wanted to start in offense. I didn't have specific plan, but against my usual taste I defended with both catchers. And boy, glad that I did. It is worth mentioning that the blood lust was out there! @helGn doesn't joke around when he claims to kill one of your players, it's all out hunt on the pitch. :( Hoomies dont like.

Set-up had been made, and kick was due - ball was in the air and necromantics started to fist my lineman on LoS. On my left flank, I had one wight and two wolves coming in for blitz, targeting Vehlir Velaster. Nothing but a stun. Ghoul went for pick-up, and failed with RR used. Scatter was lucky, and other ghoul showed how it is done. On my turn I immediately noticed a chance for 2D blitz deep in necromantic side of the pitch, made by rookie blitzer Zoltan of Reprisal who was being assisted by a catcher (mobility get some love:p). Sack successful, and my catcher caught the ball. Back on my half of the pitch, it wasn't too promising as Benjen Wolfhide and Vehlir were being boxed in. Opponents gave more bashing, and this time Benjen took on with the wolves and got stunned. They used their blitz to sack my catcher, and ball was free. Ghoul took it, and moved up a bit with a smallish protection. No foul on Benjen Wolfhide, my turn. No chances for 2D sack, so I decided to do my best and box in the ball on my turn. Decently successful, but necromantics scored on the next turn by dodging out for hand-off and then a pass from another ghoul to a wolf.

My turn to run the ball, and I had 6 turns to do it. I clearly started slow, on my first turn I made some mediocre blocks and blitzed one zombie into a stun BUT forgot to move my thrower Jonny Stagnoire. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Ball deep in my end, opponents rushing in for a ripe meal from my left - no threats to the ball though. On my following turn I saw chances for surfing a wolf, but the dream shattered with two fails - Bone-Head and I was unable to move one wight away. Then I proceeded to snake the pick-up. Necromantics could have tried coming even deeper at this stage, but they were happy hitting my guys on the ground. Four turns to run the ball through the whole pitch, "we got this gents", yell the legend himself. Running the ball, now at the LoS with decent protection. Weak spot being one back-protection in the form of the ST2 catcher. helGn decided to blitz my front right corner with the wolf, assisted by ghoul. Successful, and my ballcarrier was marked. Two linemen paved the road by hitting wight on the ground, and went along to protect and screen. 2+ hand-off to Benjen who then ran for it, with a catcher in tow. Protection was good, I forced necros to roll some dice here. with 2GFIs, 2 3+ dodges and a gfi, he managed to create 2D blitz with the wolf. First block a push, and second double skulls, no RR. My best move here was to simply run and dodge away with Benjen, 3+ and 2+ dodges. First one succeeded after RR, and the man made the game into 1-1 on my T8.

:skull::skull:HALF-TIME:skull::skull:
    :powdodge:dont forget the tasty Sid Sausages at your favourite stadium, GOADMALICE PARK. The home of Wardens? Your home! Pack the coins and munch away!:powdodge:

Another offensive for me. Necromantics know how to kick, always ends deep. Another slow start for me, and even managed to cause a turnover on the LoS after my cheeky talk of representing School of the Greed - before moving the thrower. At this point I grabbed pen and post-it note, and attached it to my monitor:

[​IMG]

Now it was getting heated! helGn announced now was the time for Benjen to bite the dust, and rise as animated himself. Two wolves and a wight, focusing on Benjen but Claw/Block/MB/Frenzy/Tackle combo is just lackluster against this man. Still standing for my turn, I got the ball and moved it up. Benjen tried to smack the puppy, but only a push - 2+ dodge and protect the ballcarrier. The Benjen hunt was on, another turn of blitz used on Benjen and this time he went on the ground. My turn, used Benjen to blitz wight away from the ball, and left him there to hold these bad guys where they stand. Ball moved, now few spaces away from LoS but gotta say it was looking real tight. Did not believe sack would happen, but knew my guys would be surrounded. To my immense luck here, this was the turn for necromantics.

1st block: :skull::skull:
    RR into :skull::bothdown: - both had block.
    2nd block, same target: :skull::skull:

Now I had the chance to break through while necromantics were not in position to hold me down. Blitz a guy in front to make room for the cage to reform on the left side of the pitch, and I pretty much succeeded at all rolls here. Benjen dodged away to mark wolf close to the cage. Necro push on to the right side of the cage, but not really marking enough players. Couple of 1D blocks here, Benjen went down and KO'd. I still keep moving, blitzing zombie most close and screening to block proper defense from my front. Sadly, a wolf still managed to 1D sack my ballcarrier (I misplaced one blitzer) and ball was free. I recovered from this, managed to get the ball up with lineman who then ran the winning touchdown with a gfi.

Necromantics had their chance to score in two turns, but rain made it harder and their effort ended in a failed GFI.

Real good game, did lot of mistakes, big and small, but still managed to run the longroad through ghouls, wights, zombies and golems. Basic human day. Thanks for the game helGn. ;) And yes people, no injuries during whole game - on either side.

helGn likes this.
  5. TravelScrabble

TravelScrabble Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    travelscrabble
    Cyanide Username:
    travelscrabble
    Country Flag:
    Collusion!

Ilgoth likes this.
  6. helGn

helGn Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    helGn
    Country Flag:
    I really hope i can snap out of the habbit of being too nice. I think i counted Mb activate once on each side? The turn i rolled skulls was so cruicial. I had 10 dices on benjen, 8 with claw. All perfectly lined up. Just needed a pow or push first

Ilgoth likes this.
  7. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Tough timing indeed, just before I had moved up on wider space as well! Opened perfect chance for me to go through.

First post has been updated with up-to-date roster, new Hall of Fame entry to the team and match history also written.

8. helGn

helGn Well-Known Member

Steam Username:
    helGn
    Country Flag:
    When benjen joins the hall of fame there will be celebration in the graveyard!

9. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    My extensive report on the game 3 can be read here.

[​IMG]

Season being 1-1-1, I am decently happy with my current route. Gotta think about my desired roster now, after losing those two linemen my roster is...

Blitzer lvl5 (Niggle)
    Blitzer lvl4 (busted MA)
    Blitzer lvl3
    rookie Blitzer

Ogre lvl5 (all normals)

Thrower lvl3 (all normals)

3x linemen, two rookies and one DP/Dodge
    2x catcher, lvl2 and lvl3
    = 11 players

I could keep going for extra linemen route or then be more brave and add positionals. But I do need larger bench, that's for sure. This season I have been bit more elf-like than on previous seasons, number of blocks taken and given are clearly less now.

10. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Report on the game 4 here

Next week team fights without Gregor the Rough (Ogre), otherwise team is with me. 10 own players, now I need to decide wheather I go for 3rd catcher or 4th lineman. Increased amount of linemen has been my previous way, but this is opportunity to go for something else.

One-turner catcher rolled a double and has Guard now, mobile guard is always something I am happy with. Benjen's skill is still pending, haven't made up my mind yet.

So far this is the best season start so far (2-1-1), so looking good. Just cant suffer too many losses, I dont wanna go low numbers...

11. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Team finds itself in a small spiral of injuries, every game starts missing one and in every game one guy takes a hit to be away for one.

Roster size is 12, would want to take it to 13, but money wise I don't feel comfortable and I am trying to control TV. It has come down from what it used to be, remaining 4 games should be bit easier with inducements. Worst being next, giving about 300k to YsengrinSC's rats. Still gonna be fun though, rivalry is about to be revived. Missed those buggers. :rolleyes:

I am comfortable with the remaining games; rats, brets, undead and vamps. Very interesting and should be even games, in those the inducement race wont be as bad as it has been (for the last two I might be getting some myself).

Seasonal stats:
    Top Runner: Jonny Stagnoire (thrower)
    Top Catcher: Benjen Wolfhide (blitzer)
    Top Blocker: Benjen Wolfhide
    Most Injured: Benjen Wolfhide
    Top Scorer: Benjen Wolfhide
    Most Pick-ups: Jonny Stagnoire
    Top Sacker: Benjen Wolfhide

Overall amount of casualties caused: 3
    Overall amount of casualties suffered: 10

TDs made: 6
    TDs given: 7

2-1-2 season nets me 5th place at the moment.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Grim Madder, TravelScrabble and Regor like this.
  12. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    With my loss against YsengrinSC's skavens (2-4), I think my hopes for top4 are becoming extremely slim. Positive side is my remaining games are against those who are ahead of me, so by winning I also stall them. No easy games, experienced Undead and Brets with season highlight ending against Regor's vamps.

Most likely I stop thinking the season here, and avoid tryharding for promotion and simply enjoy the remaining games with awesome moments. My backbone with human race is starting to tremble.

TravelScrabble, Regor and helGn like this.
  13. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    With a win over those brets last week, I am spearheading with excitement towards this week's Undead that I face tomorrow. Will see, bit concerned how I penetrate that defense.

14. Regor

Regor Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    do whateaver u want, but dont let Benjin get any inj (unless a BH) i want to play against him! :p

helGn likes this.
  15. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    He will arrive to show you what real vampire is.

Regor likes this.
  16. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    [​IMG]
    Watch this game here

My game against @JaspersaurusRex was a trot in mud, where my guys did what they could but it wasn't enough.

I took defense first, hoping I would keep it clean or at least force the use of wizard. That hope almost died with two linemen cas'd on T1, but I didn't soft concede the drive. My guys stood bravely, Ogre not bone-heading once during this defense and I managed to remove one zombie on T2. I wanted to guide Jasper to my left sideline, felt good about it as it smelled nice. Undeads did as I hoped, pushed in and trying to secure their way. Ball still in the middle behind LoS, I saw a gap that I could make (thanks for my DP/Dodge/Guard piece you guys mock so much :rolleyes::rolleyes::p). Lineman cleared zombie with RR used, other lineman pushed 2nd zombie away and thus, Benjen had direct stampede on the ball carrier that sadly resulted in a simple push. Benjen tied the ball, but was soon hit down by Mummy (I marked mummy with two, but due to one misplacement that assist could easily be taken away while giving an assist on the block. Without this mistake it would have been 1D without Block against one).

Undeads moved on, took the ball towards the sideline they had been preparing but once more - protection was slim and I had a chance at 2nd sack. Ogre grabbing zombie to the side, and catcher with dodging applying an assist - my lineman went for a sack but we achieved another push. Jasper freed the ball carrier who ran alone towards my endzone while others screened my blitzers. Now sacking was bit more tricky, but 2D was achieved with catcher's 3+ 2+ assist and blitzer's 4+ 3+ dodging - this time got the :pow::pow: and cherry on top - a stun. Sadly ball bounced away from my guys, and blitzer failed GFI to mark it. :( As a follow up, mummy pushed my Ogre away and Wight went for pick-up and scored.

I had few turns to score, but quite frankly I did loads of sub-optimal moves with my first turn of the drive and it didn't achieve much. I opened up the way due to Juggernaut on my Ogre, but what became next was grim. Benjen was blitzed down into a casualty, MNG'd that I tried to Apo but it gave me a skull as a choice. :rolleyes: My team's apotechary is called Tautiliem Noll, who I hired from a retiring skaven team. I was promised quality, but to me he seems to produce pestilence level of problems. Anyways, Jasper shutdown my road ahead and I didn't stand a chance at scoring before half-time.

Starting my offensive drive two guys down wasn't fun, but I did reduce number of opponents right off the bat as my blitzer produced a cas. I retreated with my guys towards the ball, but Undead didn't go for aggressive marking. Here I tried to bait the wizard, and allowed 3-man fireball to open up clear sack attempt - Undead didn't feel it and they continued to take it easy and left two safety's. To my luck, they didn't notice that I prepared two pieces to screen them off. T11 for me, blitzed the right flank open and moved the ball in. Lineman and catcher screening the safety pair off, and Ogre gladly hitting zombie off the pitch and marking Mummy. Still no fireball, Undead blitzed back protection of the ball but before marking any more of my guys - 1D hit with Mummy on Ogre was :bothdown: and Gregor the Rough was to be MNG. :( I got my guys moving, and played one more turn before scoring. I remember wizard taking place, but memory doesnt serve me where. I blame Sid Sausages.

Only 7 guys facing 11, holding few turns of defense seemed risky but I was playing to win it. BLITZ event. Got excited here, moved in 3 guys to be ready and fight for the ball. Kick was deep, and ghoul was bit alone. Jasper focused my catchers, and blitzed one of them down. On my turn, I took both of them to mark the ghoul who was alone backfield with the ball in his hands. Another pow on my catcher, and ghoul dodged away from another. Not giving up, took my lineman into scoring position - moved catcher to assist a sack that was successful with 4+ 3+ 2+ sequence. Sadly, once more the ball bounced away - same blitzer failing the GFI to mark it... Here, Undead secured the ball with Wight who picked up and passed the ball for a ghoul. Carefully counting MAs, Ghoul GFI'd twice to go beyond my blitzer's reach. Game was to be 2-1 loss.

-------------------------------

One more week to go, season being 3-1-4 and holding on to 5th place is hard. If I win @Regor next week - I still have the chance to be in top 4. Not giving up, but the fact I lost both of my power houses (Benjen and Gregor), I dont know if I am able to challenge those Vamps properly. Inducements are high, and I can make them even higher if I wish to do so. Off to the drawing board, I need all sorts of gimmicks now.

Grim Madder and Regor like this.
  17. Ilgoth

Ilgoth Courier Staff

Steam Username:
    Ilgoth
    Cyanide Username:
    Ilgoth
    Country Flag:
    Ah where to begin... At this point there is a minimal chance of seeing me keeping Wardens in our league. 5 seasons, 45 games done and I start to feel this is the time to call it.

They are so fun to play, but I seem to be stuck in tier 3, and for two seasons now the team has been going downhill. At the moment Benjen Wolfhide (and the fluff effect it gives) is only proper motivation I have left. But then my greatest fear is I lose him on Week 1, and become miserable for many weeks to come. So thus I think it is safe to call the endline, and let Wardens go back to their home village of Wurthugel. It's been pretty awesome road! When I started this group, I had no idea that I would end up enjoying them this much and playing five full seasons. Loads of great moments, and some less exciting ones... Gotta say my team building has failed, if we exclude Benjen from the equation. No special guys outside him. :rolleyes:

Tried different ways of building humans, learnt a thing or two. Pretty awesome stuff. Wouldn't be surprised if we see me going for another human team at some point, when I am bit more ripe as a coach. :rolleyes:;):D:D

Will re-roll into High Elves, or Bretonnians. Will see.

Thanks once again for following and supporting the journey. :p

helGn, stephB, Ravers and 2 others like this.
  18. sbr32

sbr32 Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    sbr32
    Country Flag:
    That's is what happened with my Human team, wasn't really enjoying playing them but had a great POMB Blitzer who was amazing. He died MD1 on a Skink foul and I spent an agonizing 2 months playing with a team I didn't like.

Ilgoth likes this.
  19. Ravers

Ravers Well-Known Member

Cyanide Username:
    Ravers
    Country Flag:
    I'm playing with Humans right now in Little Crunch. Oppo turn 1 blodge blitzer dies, does not let me use apo from Bomber Dribblesnot, same turn lineman injured off. Chalk up another human team retiring.

Ilgoth likes this.