1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Youtube Embedding

Discussion in 'Site News, Bug Reports and Questions' started by Coach, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Coach

Coach Administrator Head Coach

Country Flag:
    I've updated the way automatic youtube embedding works.

Should be able to use any address from your browser address bar regardless of what format they have put it in.

If you find one that doesn't work feel free to let me know and I'll look into it.

2. Deluge

Deluge Member

Country Flag:
    Great stuff coach!

But, what do you do if you want to create a link to a video and not actually embed it?
    As even linking a playlist will embed the first video of the playlist, instead of just giving a link.

The only way I've found to do this is to put spoiler tags around it, but then it wont even be a clickable link
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhgujan3t48YGkhKUXeVb8AevZceotSwJ

If you put tags around it, it will embed it. ...ke sure it stayed as a link and not embed it?

3. Coach

Country Flag:
    I don't think that is possible in the automatic embedder.

Any reason you need to do that, I can't see a problem with the video being embedded (it's also my understanding that embedding Blood Bowl vids on here will help with ranking the video in the youtube search results)?

4. Deluge

Deluge Member

Country Flag:
    Does the embedder have to be automatic? Can't we just do [youtube] or [you] tags around the links to be embedded and treat everything else as regular links?

My problem is that embedding a youtube video takes up a lot of space, and what I'm trying to accomplish is listing a (play) list of videos.

It's a minor issue to be honest

5. Coach

Country Flag:
    I don't see a problem with just putting each new video in a playlist in a post. Unless anyone else thinks they take up too much space?

I could turn the embedding off, though I personally prefer having it automatic. My experience on forums getting people to use tags manually leads to confusion. Not everyone is tech savvy!

6. Pottsy

Pottsy Member

Country Flag:
    To be honest, whenever I see an embedded youtube video I always click on the button that says youtube. Clicking on that opens a new tab with the video on youtube. Sometimes, I've seen embedded videos without that button but clicking on the watermark does the same thing.

It would be nice to choose between an embedded video and a link but it's not a major issue.

7. Coach

Country Flag:
    I agree but the plugin doesn't support that and I'm not bothered enough by it to try and hack at it to add that as a feature. Sometimes I watch vids embedded other times I'll click through to watch on youtube. Never seems to be a plugin that offers it all in one!

8. Ken

Ken Kenny the Mechanic

Country Flag:
    embedding is great, it may even improve peoples use of punctuation; semicolons!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M94ii6MVilw]The Lonely Island - SEMICOLON (feat. Solange) LYRICS VIDEO #WACKWEDNESDAYS - YouTube[/ame]

I'm just kidding, that video made things worse