Blood Bowl/Warhammer Lore resources?

Breidr

Star Player
Steam Username
Breidr
Cyanide Username
Breidr
Country Flag
I used to do silly things with my teams and player names, but I've had a couple of "serious" teams and I've had a lot of fun in leagues role-playing, if you can call it that, as a head coach. I had teams based out of my own land of Feigrland based on Norscea, and even hired some mercenaries from Tiliea to play for me when the natives couldn't bring home the Cup.

With the new Blood Bowl I need some new teams. I found my first ever roster sheet in my box, so my "Dragonback Slayers" will be making a return, but I was thinking of trying the other races too.

Are there any good resources that can assist me in creating teams that fit better in lore? I've found some resources on Orcs and even a Chaos Dwarf Wiki. I'm sure there are some Dwarf notes out there. The things I find missing are lore on Beastman names, but anything for the BB2 races helps.

Mephiston

Star Player
Country Flag
The page I use for most/all of my GW/Warhammer (40K and FB) lore is the Lexicanum.

Main page

I just noticed they have changed the front page... so to directly get to the Fantasy Battles wikipedia either press here, or click on the image with "Fantasy Battles" in it on the main page. The one with "Grimdark" in the image is obviously for WH40K... I dont know what Immoren is... thats a new one... does not look like it's from Games Workshop either.

Breidr

Star Player
Steam Username
Breidr
Cyanide Username
Breidr
Country Flag
Thanks Mephiston! I've also stumbled upon a Warhammer wikia as well when looking for a map of the Empire. First teams are looking to be Humans and Orcs. Easy to slap an Empire province on a cool name and compile a list of medieval German? Names. Orcs just write themselves!

I'm going to read the Chaos stuff just because it may be cool. Never realized that Warriors of Chaos and Beastman were technically "separate." Of course all of my Warhammer knowledge stems from WAR Online. From the little I understand, Some Norse worship Chaos gods, so can we have mutations please? I know Marauders do, but my Vanilla Norse want to join the party too!

Mephiston

Star Player
Country Flag
Most of Chaos' Chaos Warriors, and most of Chaos' human forces, are recruited from the "Northmen"... where Norse are one of them, the other two are Kurgans and Hungs... there are other's to I think, but these three are the big ones.

I do feel that the Norse you would see in the Norse BB teams, or the Norse raiders that might attack the other races along the coasts pillaging, are more "Chaos lite" when it comes to their religious belives... so basicly the southern Norse are just "normal" Vikings who might worship Chaos, and occationally some will join chaos, but are mostly far enough away from the Northern Waste to not be as influenced by Chaos as the more northen Norse, or like the Kurgans or Hungs who actually live on the Northern Waste.

Breidr

Star Player
Steam Username
Breidr
Cyanide Username
Breidr
Country Flag
Sounds interesting, I'll do some more reading. Again, When I picture Norse in my head, it all stems from Norsca as featured in WAR Online. It's what originally inspired me to play Chaos, as there seemed no separation between Norse and Chaos in that setting, but maybe they were just Chaos worshipping Norse. Again, reading helps :).

Mephiston

Star Player
Country Flag
I think that Norse are in general the most commonly seen of the fantasy Chaos human forces when it has come to most of GW's stuff and products... they are after all the ones who live closest to the Empire and Bretonnia.

But in general the Norse (or the Kurgans and Hungs) have never really been featured much at all, as "them selves" (as in not being part of another force like chaos or something), in any of GW's stuff (as far as I know). At most is might have been some random mention here and there in the lore, some unique unit here and there in Fantasy Battles, or as part of Chaos is FB, and I think in the game Mordheim, and probably the roleplaying game as well... and of course also in Blood Bowl, but that has as far as I know only been a official team since the late 90's or so I think.

I do know that in one of the Bretonnian codexes there is a drawing in it featuring a Bretonnian Knight who fightings against a Norse lord. And I did manage to find it to! :D Not sure why the Norse is so big... if it's due to some Chaos thing... or if he just naturally grew that big. XD

After Bretonnia, Norse is my favorit part of the Warhammer Fantasy lore. It comes from the fact that Knights are my favorit warriors of history, and Vikings being a very close second.

Edit: Oh and as for what you said about WAR and Norse. I think they choice Norse to be the humans in the chaos faction mostly based around that Norsca is the closest region to the other nations, they are basicly just a somewhat short boattrip over to the mainland. Just like how it was for the Vikings some 950-1200 years ago.

Last edited:
Country Flag
If you have Crusader Kings II there's also an excellent mod by the name of Geheimnisnacht That features all of the main races and such and works really well at familiarizing yourself with the geography and lore. It's set during one of the Empire's many civil wars though, so don't expect a giant imperial blob.