Elf Pro Elf build

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
Thinking about taking Pro Elves to a NAF tournament in a couple of months, but need to assemble and paint them first. 1.1 million and tier 2 teams get 7 normals and a double, but no skill can be taken more than twice. Also only one player can get 2 skills (neither of them a double). Am considering:

2 blitzers (Guard & Dodge + Tackle)
2 catchers (Dodge & Block)
1 thrower (Leader)
6 linos (Wrestle & Kick)
Eldril Sidewinder
1 rr

Thoughts?

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
I played that roster in a small warm up before the WC in Dornbirn, though not limited to only two skills. The roster I used had four dodge players, but the ones that mattered were the blitzers so I would go with them.

Something like this:
Wrestle - frenzy catcher, (or strip ball, but I prefer frenzy)
2 dodge blitzers,
kick lino,
Leader thrower,
Guard lino,
Block catcher.

Supa

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
Supa
Cyanide Username
Supajee
Country Flag
New star player Elijah Doom is great alternative to Eldril Sidewinder in my opinion. For 190k you get 6349 Fend, Guard, Loner, Stand Firm, Wrestle. You lose hypno, but AV9 and guard are quite great, he blocks safely and as an added bonus fend/firm are surprisingly annoying together. I liked to place him between two dodge blitzers on LoS when practicing with pro elves on current Eurobowl rules.

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
@Netsmurf - that’s an interesting alternative roster. The reason I like Guard on a Blitzer is due to the AV 8 and SS. Guard on a lino sounds harder to position and to keep on the field for long. I could go with Wrestle + Dodge on a Catcher instead of Tackle on the second blitzer too.

@Supa - Elijah Doom does look good on paper, but I have the Eldril mini and like the versatility that he brings to the team. Hypno Gaze with some Guard can provide good opportunities for cage breaking.

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
@danton - I like blodge be course of the SS, normally the lino with guard is only coming into play if Eldril works his hypno, so I just screened it and kept him a bit back from the action.

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
It looks good
I think Guard is better on the blitzer than on a lineman.
Never played with Elijah Doom but he looks a safer option than Sidewinder. Sidewinder is a potential game winner but also a lot riskier as he is AV7 with only dodge for protection.
In my experience pro elves don't win by playing safe.
You could double skill a catcher rather than a blitzer. Wrestle tackle or wrestle dodge.
But that means the catcher needs protecting more from blitzes.

So probably either Sidewinder with dodge tackle blitzer hitting the ballcarrier after the gaze
or
Elijah keeping the front line more solid with the wrackle catcher hanging behind the screen waiting for a good blitz opportunity.

If sidewinder gazes , the wrackle catcher goes in and doesn't come out with the ball you could lose the game the next turn so that is more of a gamble.

danton

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
danton
Country Flag
It looks good
I think Guard is better on the blitzer than on a lineman.

Yeah, I do feel that the Guard on the blitzer is more versatile than on the lino. The Guard on the lino feels like it's more of a one trick pony, because he's likely to be removed after you commit to using it. The same can be said about Eldril, although his movement and Dodge make him a bit more resilient. Am now considering:

2 blitzers (Guard & Dodge)
2 catchers (Wrestle + Dodge & Block)
1 thrower (Leader)
6 linos (Wrestle & Kick)
Eldril Sidewinder
1 rr

Tackle can be a wasted skill depending on the tournament meta, so maybe better to make one of the catchers a bit more of an all-rounder. The Wrestle lino can also be a secondary blitz option when attacking the ball and I like having 5 players with Block and Wrestle.

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
Yeah, it does sound like a viable build. How was it in play-testing?
@danton - I won all 3 games scored 7 TD´s to 0 and was otherwise horribly outnumbered during all second halfs. But with Eldril on the pitch and my wrestle, frenzy catcher I could stop all. The blitzers were their usual annoying markers and blodge really helped in that.

EDIT. My roster was based on the one Yena used for the WC. He has the second highest ranking in the world with Pro Elf. http://www.nafworldcup.sbbm-turniere.com/1/B1C/B1CA05.html

Last edited:

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
Interesting. He didn’t take Guard at all though and it is a different rule set obviously.
Come to think about it nor did I, there were no doubles for the WC, must be the catcher I screened. I did use the blitzers up front when committing with Eldril. If the ball did not go to ground they would mark like crazy.