Tactics Team Choice and Composition

Which team to play for my next tabletop season (with modification)

• Humans

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Norse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Necromantic

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

hungrygnome

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
So here is the deal. My tabletop league will be finishing soon, and we will start again shortly. Seasons last about 25 games. This season I won what we call the McCleary Cup, and I retain it on my new team until this particular tourney comes up again ( which is the 4th of 5 tourneys - and even if I lose it, then all it means is I cannot CHANGE the choice anymore, and keep what is currently on the team).

The benefits are this: I get a free re-roll, and I can replace the highest value player on the team with one from from a different team. Example: You could play Orcs, and replace the troll with any player NOT from an Orc team. ( So no 3 Wardancers sadly for wood elf ).

The teams currently are : Orc, Skaven, Underworld, Chaos, Khorne, Necromantic

I like speed, some STR, S skill access, decent starting skills, and armor. Ive narrowed it down to a few teams that meet most of my qualifications without sacrificing too much of the others. So which team do you all think would work, and what would you replace the highest cost player with, and why?

Humans have 4 blitzers with S skill access, a big guy, speed in the form of both blitzers and catchers.

Norse is a bit slower, but has more starting skills, 2 STR 4 players, a big guy, and 4 S skill access players. But its lacks armor.

Necromantic has speed with werewolfs and ghouls, 2 STR 4 players with good skills, good armor, 4 S skill access players, but slow zombies and not sure I would replace a wolf with anything at all.

Last edited:

klauser

Rookie
Country Flag
Hm, this award seems rather overpowered. Chaos or Chaos Dwarves with a War Dancer instead of the Mino comes to mind. Skaven with a Bull Centaur or Chaos Warrior over the Rat Ogre could be nice as well.

hungrygnome

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
It allows a single tweak, and you have to replace your most expensive player. Better for some teams than for others for sure though. Its just as strong as the Chaos cup reward, which was stated in LRB 5. 1d3 random players get a mutation, regen, stab, or hypnotic gaze. ANd elves with hypnotic gaze is POWERFUL.. or a treeman with tentacles...

Last edited:

Limdood

Mega Star Player
Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
Country Flag
wow...

Lizardmen with a gutter runner or wardancer (ball pickup problems are a thing of the past!)

Dwarves with a wardancer (they can do without the Deathroller!)

Orcs with a Chaos Warrior (small tweak, but a worthwhile trade for a troll, and now you have claw on orcs!)

Dark elves with a Bloodthirster?

Or for the amusement factor:
Goblins with a deathroller (and 50k bribes!!)

Oh, of the teams listed above, necro needs no tweaks....it really isn't worth replacing a wolf with anything as the team is quite well rounded. Humans don't want to sub out that particular big guy. Maybe swap out an ogre for a Kroxigor with Ptail or Mummy without bonehead, but otherwise no real difference. Norse are the easiest to edit, since you often can't or won't afford a Yhetee on a starting roster, and they could use a AG4, OR a different ST5 player (bloodthirster comes to mind!), but again, other teams could make better use...namely lizardmen, orcs, dark elves (big time), and dwarves.....dwarves have a HUGE advantage here, as losing the deathroller does almost NOTHING to a dwarf team...and the possibilities...

Last edited:

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Fun exercise, what player would I take for any team. For Skaven I'd swap the rat ogre in a heartbeat but what for, maybe Krox or Tree or for something different - HE Thrower, give the rats a real passing threat and some more AV 8.

On Necro I'd be tempted to swap a flesh golem (are they highest TV or is it wolves?) for something with a bit more punch, Tomb Guardian or Mummy, or Chaos Warrior would be great, str and mobility.

hungrygnome

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Its because a wardancer starts with block and dodge, meaning only POW puts him down, also high movement, 4 agility, and leap. So he is only 6 SPP away from strip ball. They are the one player who can rip a ball out of your cage faster than any other.

Limdood

Mega Star Player
Near Chicago, Illinois - in the United States of A
Country Flag
Fun exercise, what player would I take for any team. For Skaven I'd swap the rat ogre in a heartbeat but what for, maybe Krox or Tree or for something different - HE Thrower, give the rats a real passing threat and some more AV 8.

On Necro I'd be tempted to swap a flesh golem (are they highest TV or is it wolves?) for something with a bit more punch, Tomb Guardian or Mummy, or Chaos Warrior would be great, str and mobility.

Bloodthirster takes the cake for big guys...or mummy if you want to avoid a neg trait.

On a team with an apoth, you've got the triple threat of AV9, Apo, and regen to keep him on the field. Bloodthirster also starts with horns and juggernaut! as well as claw, so easier access to Claw/MB than the Rogre. Krox is almost a downgrade, as you trade (doubles) Mutation access and permanent TZs for 1 point of AV. Not that 2 doubles on a big guy is ALL THAT common, but a blocking ClawMB Rogre is scary.

Necros highest TV player is the wolf i'm pretty sure. Its not really a positional that any necro player wants to give up.

hungrygnome

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
We had actually come up with an amusing thing: Put a bombardier on a elf team. Pass to the thrower, who will catch it, and have THEM use hail mary pass or throw long bombs.

hungrygnome

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
For humans, what would you replace the Ogre with?

What would you all replace a werewolf with for Necromantic?

Keep the Kroxigor on a lizardman team, or swap it out with an elf player?

On Orcs, what would you replace the troll with? A mummy? A Ogre or Halfling tree? ( retains TTM option, and no loner) Or toss an elf on the team?

What about a Beast of Nurgle on a Slann team?

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
I'd definitely take an elf for lizards for the much better ball handling, something that can be easily blodged, ah yes a wardancer of course. Orcs I'm not sure I'd want to introduce any av 7 but a HE blitzer could be great. Creates an alternative scoring threat that's much more reliable than a goblin. Ogre would be nice.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Out of your three listed teams:

Humans: Ogres are good, but as mentioned before the only thing better is a Kroxigor.

Necro:Really tough pick. Also as mentioned, the wolf fills its role. But I suppose a pestigor could offer easier access to having a claw-pomber with ST 4 blitzing.

Norse: If Khorne teams are accepted, a Bloodthirster is like a Yehetee with regeneration = good pick. Else a warpstone troll or a chaos team minotaur depending upon what you like. (Maybe even a Kroxigor?) And if you don't like loners, there's the options of a mummy, or a necro werewolf or flesh golem, to add some durability.

hungrygnome

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
They are allowed, I just dont want to play as those teams. Im saying dont tell me to play any of those, as I am not even considering them. Or goblins or Halflings.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Orcs swapping out the troll for a deathroller could be pretty amusing. Good - meh, but good fun :p

hungrygnome

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Ive finally decided to try out Slann. Ive wanted to play them for awhile now, and even if it isnt ideal, It still has most of what I want, just going to take some time to develop them.

Im swapping the Kroxigor for a Beast of Nurgle, and I found the perfect mini's to represent them:

s-SMcropped2.jpg

I give to you: The Innsmouth Invaders! I havent decided yet whether to just buy extra fishmen, and paint them a differant color to represent the catchers, or find entirely different models.

Starting lineup will be :

1 Beast of Nurgle

2 Blitzers

3 Catchers

5 Linemen

2 Re-rolls ( +1 for having the cup )

Now just to come up with names.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI[/ame]

Last edited:

Fallowheart

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Fallowheart
Country Flag
Azathoth, Cthulhu, Shub-Niggurath, Yog-Sothoth, Nyarlathotep,
that's the pantheon

there's a ton of other names, i'm sure wikipedia could help you here.

I think 'Star Mother' is another one? and then you could do 'Arkham', 'Shoggoth', and 'Summanus (another tentacled thing)... 'Miskatonic', and 'Dunwich'?

As far as Innsmouth is concerned... Father Dagon, Mothery Hydra are the big names.

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
Nice figures, and great use of the boost to get added flavor+theme.

Names depend upon whether you want to go with the obvious (old ones, like in the previous post) or more subtle (like picking names of inbreeding families, like the Marsh family from The Shadow Over Innsmouth and The Dunwich Horror (with the Dunwich Horror itself being an excellent Beast of Nurgle. Sadly it was never given any better name than "Wilbur's Brother")