Chaos Ball carrying chaos warrior

Altashheth

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I keep looking at the concept of a ball carrying chaos warrior and I'm thinking of giving it a try.... I think I need some knowledgable folk to talk me out of it.

Pros - str 4 ball carriers are hard to bring down, especially in a guard cage, ok agility, sue hands + block are easily picked up, could hand off to quicker beastman to finish drive

Cons - only moves 5 (how far does a cage move during the middle of a drive?), removes a str 4, av 9 roadblock from...well, road blocking.

Like I say I'm temped, if it works out I'm tempted to go big hand and strong arm to potential scoop up scattered balls and to extend the hand off range.... Am I mad?

Alt

Lebe666

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I think trying to make him ball handler and also thrower is mad. If the concept works you should not be throwing the ball.

Not sure if big hand is the skill for that... you expect to get the ball in a scuffle ? Sure hands is better because it gives a RR and makes you immune to strip ball which is the greatest danger to a Str 4 ball carrier. If you have more than 2 enemies marking a ball... you are doing something wrong. Plus your CW won't be able to get out after he picks the ball up.

You could do it the cheap way... give him Pro. So you can try to RR pickup, catch & throw.

Barninho

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Chaos Warriors can be great ball carriers and there aren't really any downsides apart from the ones you list here.

I'm not sure I'd go the big hand, strong arm route though. Those two skills may as well be on a goat as they aren't helped by strength and the extra MV is handy for both. Plus for Big Hand to work best you should be pairing it with two heads, so you're talking Block, Sure Hands, Extra Arms, Big Hand, Two Heads and Strong Arm? Dodge would be a great double too. I think then you are trying to do too many things and if you are going this route, just make sure he can do the job of carrying the ball brilliantly. Sure Hands/Extra Arms for the pick-up, Block (Dodge on double) for protection. After that he has all the skills he needs, but Kick Off Return could help compensate for movement, Guard can help if someone takes a cage corner down, because you have an immediate assist, and I really like the idea of Horns on this guy as a later skill because if you're under pressure being able to blitz away as ST5 is just nice.

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
NOOOOOOOOO, I have tested it and it works like s... well not so good. The lost firepower is very much missed when you need to move your cage. I say no and use him as ball sacker instead, if you insist that he must be near the ball;)

coachman

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
bjj hero
Country Flag
No one is suited to carry the ball at mv 5. If you really want to the kick off return is a must to try and off set this. A cage may not move too far forward each turn but at mv5 you lose a lot of lateral movement.

One of the great things about warriors is that they can carry at agi 3 but thatss very different to having one as a main ball carrier.

FTJUK

Super Star Player
Country Flag
I dont think your mad.

Choas Warriors are the star players of the Choas team and you want to score with them as often as possible in my view. The beastmen are essentially fodder.

Whilst you lose a little speed in the ball carrier, I dont think it affects the teams play that much as the other Choas Warriors are the same speed and you have one plus Beastmen with MV6 to compenstate to form screens and put in Tackle zones. You do though need to load up more of your beastmen with guard to compenstate removing the CW from the front line.

As you acknowledge, you gain a little more ball protection with the +1 Str and +1 AV, which should not be underestimated. Skills to take could be big hand, sure hands (for ball carrying), block, disturbing appearance, (and dodge) for ball protection and two heads, dodge for manoeuvrability. +1 St, AG, MV stats should all be taken without a moments hesitation.

The beauty of the Choas team is the wide variety of ways the team could develop, which most Coaches dont take up going down the obvious and boring MBPOCL route.

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
i like carrying the ball with a CW when the team is still new. helps level them, and makes it harder for the opponent to get the ball off you after you roll :skull::bothdown:, leaving a big hole for the ball carrier to be blitz'd :p

as the team develops i would want a beastie taking over, as you said, they are roadblocks. block, guard, mb, claw is golden.
if however a warrioir gets +ag, i would take it and make him a ball retriever of some sort (though other people will say +ag on a CW is bloat)

block guard, +ag, 2heads, big hand or sure hands. pretty funny player, while still having block and guard.

Altashheth

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
My chaos team -the city watch- is fairly new, only 4 games played so far..... In my last game against woodies, lost 2-0, my beastman ball carrier got sacked twice by a leaping wardancer.... So I gave the ball to a warrior and survived the next leaping assault..... Unfortunately I couldn't roll a single cas (over 130 block dice and mighty blow) so got bogged down and couldn't reach the end zone...

I've decided to develop a beastman retriever and a warrior that is capable of carrying.. So a couple of guys to get the ball to on defence and a potential retrieve and handoff on offence.... I figured that if I kept the beastman near/by the caged warrior I can always handoff and run if I start to run out of time....

Skaven next.... Fingers crossed for a numbers advantage at halftime

Slyspy

Super Star Player
Country Flag
If you get a CW with extra agility then he can be an object of great frustration to anyone without Strip Ball.