OCC team blog - Inglorious Basterdz

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
cheers guys, though felt more like suicide bombers with elves dodging into cages for -2d blitzs against blodgers lol. certainly helped me in clearing the pitch second half.
the second dancer was unlucky to go out on a failed dodge, i guess all my tackle scared him off though :p

the elves biggest problem imo was no positional skills. no guard, ss, dt, meant i felt no pressure when moving the ball, other than the wizard. as long as i had guard around my ball carrier at least to keep the wardancers at bay.
the other issue was only 11 elves, something my basterdz love to face.

Boffa

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Hey nuffle, enjoyed your blog and your article on bashy human advice. Inspired me to give 'em a go and working pretty well for me in MM, will be starting a human team in SSC next season. Was just wondering if you could post an updated version of your team here so I can see how you went with your player development at high TV. Particularly interested in how you develop your catchers and how many you field at a time. Would you consider block SS DT as first skills and just using them as an annoyance piece? Good luck with the rest of the season.

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
cheers boffa, gl with the humies in the occ.

it is about time the roster was updated:

ogre - guard -ma (6spps)

blitzer - dauntless, mb, tackle, PO, guard -ag (124spps)
blitzer - +ag, dodge, guard, tackle strip ball (103spps)
blitzer - +ag, guard, dodge, tackle (74spp's)
blitzer - mb, guard, tackle, dauntless (65spps)

thrower - blodge, +ag, nos, dumpoff (128spps)
thrower - block, tackle (28spps)

catcher - block (12spps)

lino - wrestle, dodge, guard -ag (34spps)
lino - DP, block (21spps)
lino - block, kick (23spps)
lino - block (8spps)
lino

3 rerolls
10 fan factor
TV 2070

in regards to catcher development........they don't. in this team especially my two ag4 blitzers are better receivers, so they do not see much ball. i am happy to get block on them and call it a day. ss/dt are two good potential skills on him, but for me it seems anything past block is bloat at high tv. ag3, st2, and av7 make them too easy to be neutralised. i also dont like having to protect more than one, as i would rather protect my blitzers.

still, ss/dt is a strong combo. that is probably how i will build my guy, though i am thinking of the 1 turn build as well - ss, diving catch, sure feet sprint/leap. most likely i will hybrid the two if he lives that long - ss, dc, dt.

i will have another look at my human strategy, as there is a few things i would like to change.

as to my team, i have guaranteed promotion so for md9 i will be looking to get the spps needed to skill up my blitzer and thrower.

Boffa

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Nice team. I like blitzer number 1. :) -ag is a nice themed injury as far as a murdered goes :p Kind of suck if he rolls a double for jump up though!

I think I will build my team more around bash then yours, but I might decide I want to win some games to and change my mind! Roll to much agi your blitzers go soft imo!

Last edited:

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Nice team. I like blitzer number 1. :) -ag is a nice themed injury as far as a murdered goes :p Kind of suck if he rolls a double for jump up though!

I think I will build my team more around bash then yours, but I might decide I want to win some games to and change my mind! Roll to much agi your blitzers go soft imo!

heh agreed +ag softens up your blitzers, the thing is +ag and guard/tackle will win you games as humans. those two are the ones dodging in to provide guard assists on the ball, as well as make the blitz and the pick up of loose balls. +ag is probably my favourite stat up on blitzers :D +st isnt far behind, but i am equally happy for that to fall on linos. the +ag i want on my blitzers or throwers.

the top human side in the occ (currently first in div 1 after md7) had a +ma, +ag, guard, tackle, dodge blitzer. that was his go to player. i say had as he died md7 on t16 to a spp farming block :( i wouldn't be suprised if he struggles the last two games, though i think he will have inducements to get griff to make up for him.

2 mb/tacklers is normally enough as well asyou can only blitz once per turn, and you dont really want to be leaving your av8 blitzers in tacklezones.

i am just happy to have all my blitzers past level 5. i cant see that lasting too long in div 2....

Boffa

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
The one thing that's really annoying me with humans is the Ogre, I constantly fail bonehead at crucial times, thinking about dropping mine on MM and see how I go. Because of the TV minimising you often get, I think it could be a good move. Could get 2 dirty player linos for that price who won't bonehead and have change.. anyway I'm done stealing thread about YOUR team. Thanks for the advice though :)

I have to agree keeping all those blitzers alive in div 2 will be really hard... I know who my tackle killers would be targetting, the ones with the pointy ears!

Actually, one last question, could you show your standard set ups when kicking vs bash/agi/hybrid teams that would be interesting. My kick set ups are generally rubbish..

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
dropping the ogre in mm isnt a bad idea, though i do find you have the tendency to be woefullly outmuscled at higher tv without the ogre.
to limit bonehead i try to block with my ogre as little as possible, as a 1/6 bonehead, and 1/9 :skull::bothdown:, is only 40/54 (
6.44/9) to not be useless when blocking. if the ogre is providing guard assists, or tying up 2 players, he is doing his job.

i normally try to block everyone off the ogre to move him, then if someone is still in his tz at the end of the turn, i may block with him. the ogre is normally my 1st guard player to move into a scrum on any turn.

in regards to setups, Blood Bowl - Official Forum • View topic - Human team starting positions.

this is something i wrote on the official forums and covers basic offensive and defensive setups. i have an account on fumbbl if you wanted to watch replays to get an idea of how i play my 1st turn defending or attacking, as the offcentre defense is a different defense.

MD8 development
the second place chaos side, has to face the 5th place dwarves, rather than the vamps who they face next week.

the chaos side need at least a draw to have any hope of catching the basterdz, who are ahead by 4pts on the table.

and they failed! a 2-1 win to the dwarves sees the basterdz win the title with a game to spare. woot!

md9 may see me try to claim the dirty git award. i am currently trailing doomy by 10pts..... will see how the 1st few turns pan out.

(p.s sorry jimmy, but if the chaos side finish's second and goes to 2c next season, you will be up against a st6 block, mb/claw warrior. he rolled the st6 after levelling up against me. have fun with that. if its any consolation there is a clone in 2b with the same stats except for -av. i am praying these guys get promoted:p)

Gallows Bait

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Gallows-Bait
Cyanide Username
Gallows Bait
Country Flag
Congratulations on securing the divisional win and a place in the coveted 2nd tier.

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
md9 is played, against the =2nd place darkelves.
star players include:
+2ma, dodge, ss blitzer
strip ball, guard, leap blitzer
dodge, strip ball, tackle blitzer
wrodge, nos, +av runner
dp, kick lino

11 players all up for a tv of 1900. 170k below mine, and my opponent chose not to buy anyone so he could get a wizard as inducement.
to win the game i need to limit the damage the wiz and the ma9 blitzer do.

Kickoff
i kick, and darkies set up a screen for their ma9 blitzer to score next turn with one gfi. i block the path as best i could, and foul out a wrestle, frenzy lino on the los.
darkies blitz, trying to create a hole for the blitzer to squeeze through, but:bothdown::skull: by the wrestle runner sees the lane clogged with bodies.

this sees the darkies switch to my right flank behind a light screen. i ko a couple more which sees the ma9 blitzer streak towards my endzone with only a guard blitzer in support.
i get my guard in place, and clyde shakes off the assassin to blitz to try and get the ball loose with strip ball - :skull::bothdown:, rerolled to :skull::skull:. on top of that clyde is badly hurt....... my opponent cant believe his luck and runs in the 1st score.

2ko's stay down for the darkies so it is 11v9. the weather changes to rain, which is always a pain. i make my blocks and blitz, then pick the ball up in a loose screen. i then make a major mistake, i 2d with the ogre, rather than moving my dp over to provide an assist to make it 3d (i wanted to foul). my ogre pedictiably rolls :skull::bothdown:, and there is a hole (where my ogre and dp should have been) for the darkies to hit stuart. he dumps off to lutolf, who gets lightnined bolted and ko'd at the end of the turn.

i manage to regather with my reserve thrower, but he too is taken down and the ma9 blitzer makes a small hero play (dodge, dodge, 4+pickup, dodge gfi, with reroll) to score t7 and make it 2-0 to the dark elves!

i have 2 turns to score before h/t to try and salvage something from this game. the kick is deep, so i push left with a fair chunk of my team. my catcher is in a nice little pocket 9 squares from the ez. stuart has the ball out of blitz range deep in my half. the darkies respond by blitzing meninga on the los and killing him! temporarily, as the doc revives him for the second half. they mark up as best they can, but cant get a tz on the catcher (as they blitz'd my killer rather than the scoring pocket).
my turn stuart moves up and makes the short pass over two dark elves, where the catcher makes the catch in the rain and sprints it in for 2-1.
back in it.

2nd half
all 11 darkelves take the field, something i was not expecting. i regather on the right hand side, so dark elves take down my ogre on the left side, so they can start fouling meninga with their dirty player. i get to halfway, where the darkies leap a guard in, then leap again to get a 2d blitz. thankfully stuart shrugs it off, as no-one was really open to receive a dump off. meninga is ko'd on the skirimish on the left by a foul, to which his dp is sent off.

around t13 stuart survives a 1d blitz this time, and i have no option but to run it in t14. luckily my opponent had used all 4 of his rerolls in trying to stop my score, so his offense should struggle.
which it did, as a failed pickup saw 2 tz's on the ball. they were cleared, but a :bothdown::skull: block on my thrower left him next to the ballcarrier. i made my blocks around the ball, trying to get 2d on the ballcarrier, but ended up having to 1d.:bothdown: came up, and as the runner had wrestle the ball came loose into 2 of my tz's. next turn the pick up was failed and the game, and season ended.

in the end i will take the 2-2 result. would have been a much different game if clyde had got the ball loose rather than injuring himself...... or if i 3d blocked with the ogre rather than 2d......... ahh well, got a result, which is always nice when an opponents wizard works. booncabal also played well.
basterdz march into tier 2 with a 5-4-0 record, their first unbeaten season in 7 seasons.

p.s sorry for the long report, i really enjoyed this game as lots happened

Boffa

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Unbeaten season with humans is pretty impressive. Nice come back! I find when things go wrong with humans they go drastically wrong and it takes good positioning a little luck and patience to get it going back your way. Stupid Ogre's, mine always finds a way to turn a game from a win to a draw or a draw to a loss!

Purgatory

Super Star Player
Country Flag
Never excuse yourself for writing long reports, brevity is something that needs to be excused in these cases, rather than the opposite :)

Congratulations on what sounds like a fun game, an unbeaten season and on the promotion to tier 2. Best of luck!

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
cheers guys, glad they are being enjoyed.
i have had a look at my probable season 14 opponents, and it does not look pretty. from div 1 there is the nurgle side rodent extermination, as well as the previous orc champs toronto orcanaughts. thankfully the orcs are sitting out the season (at this stage).
teams staying in 2b are a woodie team, a nurgle, necro and orc. another orc team is sitting out the season.
promotions from tier 3 are myself, a dwarf team from 3c and orcs from 3a (bwute force), + bonus promotions. which leaves the division looking like

2 nurgle
2 orc
dwarf
necro
human
wood elf

and 2 bonus promotions from tier 3, or people coming back from a break from tier 2. there is a lot of orcs in line for bonus promotion from tier 3, so i do not expect the bashiness to lessen.
could be a brutal season, but i expected nothing less from tier 2 :D.

John McGuirk

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Ouch. How do you find the Nurgle to play against? For a team like Humans I imagine there's plenty to worry about - high strength, Disturbing Presence, Tentacles, MB/PO/Claw... ouch again.

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
yeah nurgle are a tough match up at high tv. i hunt the rotters to try and shortman them for the second half, but if they have a deep bench its rough.
using your speed is the vital, as they are much like dwarves in the speed department. i try to avoid making key blitz's on NW's if i can help it, FA will appear when you least can afford it.

other than that avoid the warriors, and foul any clpomber that hits the deck.

nufflehatesme

Super Star Player
Country Flag
opponents 2b

Division 2B

• Vedholm - Super Vixens - WoodElf -

• Dain-Jon - Redead Redemption - Necromantic -

• Stahlburg - Rotting Rotters - Nurgle -

• Muller - Gauntlegrym Defenders - Dwarf -

• Worgaz - Grumpy Gits - Orc -

• Kreugen - Rodent Extermination - Nurgle -

• Magus - Dead Philosophers - Undead -

• nufflehatesme - Inglorious Basterdz - Human -

• cbbakke - Cult o Slaver - Chaos -

• FedtStensDyr - Skullcrushas2 - Orc -

so bash heavy. i get to face off against slaver's clawed chaos, and hopefully get to feature in a super vixen match report.
will review the teams in the coming days.