Tactics Skill allocation advice III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boffa

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
ok my ag5 thrower in cruncholution (pro elf) rolled dbls. Pretty sure I'll skip the double and take dodge.. only double I'd consider would be guard but team has 2 already and I think just blodging him up asap is the better option. (already have an offensive thrower with accurate +mv)

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
Guess it depends if you have another AG5 player or not.

If not then block , dodge , leap seems the way to go.
If you do then leaping a guard in for the other guy to blitz the ballcarrier will be great long term.

Boffa

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
rest of team is
5 linos, wrestle, kick, wrodge (MNG) and 2 rookies
2 blitzers, dodge tackle and dodge guard
4 catchers, wrestle, dodge, block guard and block +str
+ag thrower with dbl roll and +mv accurate thrower (MNG).
3 rr apo 200k

Moncap

Veteran
Country Flag
My Golem, Simeon Fridge, rolled a normal skill for his 3rd skill. I was quite happy to sit in 2C (OCC) for a couple of seasons asa it's pretty Elfy, and develop the team a little. But it's a bit of a bloodbath to be frank, and I want to get up and out. I'm very much in the promotion throng at 3-3-0, but have 3 very hard games remaining - current leader Errant Saint circa 2400 Dark Elves, Foffa circa 2400 Norse with lots of piling on, Straume circa 1900 Chaos Dwarves. So am considering what is best short term for the Golem.

He has Block and Guard so far.

Options I'm considering.

Might Blow

It feels like I've been lacking punching power this season, so my third MB could help with that. Plus would help get to the next level up quicker. A solid, if a little boring, choice.

Grab

I've not played around with grab much. I can see it opens up doors sometimes, helps facilitate gangfouls, makes one turners easier and potentially allows more LOS blocks. Could be useful against Saint's sidesteppers, and positioning Foffa's armour busted players in a position to be fouled.

Break Tackle

Repositioning the cage against Elves could be very useful, as could escaping being marked by Claw, Piling on killers. Also makes it easier to escape being tied up by linemen.

Werebat

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Werebat
Country Flag
I think as he is MV3, break tackle is much less worth while.

Not sure on the choice between guard and foul apperance, but whichever you pick now I would pick the other for final level if not a special roll. (And he gets to it)

I'm leaning towards FA because:

1. Guard helps out most in a scrum, and when Underworld gets in a scrum it's already all gone to Hell for them

and

2. Gorbo is now one of two or three experienced players on the team, and will likely be drawing a lot of heat from the opposition. FA might just keep him alive long enough to hit level 7.

Street

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Street
Country Flag
I'm leaning towards FA because:

1. Guard helps out most in a scrum, and when Underworld gets in a scrum it's already all gone to Hell for them

and

2. Gorbo is now one of two or three experienced players on the team, and will likely be drawing a lot of heat from the opposition. FA might just keep him alive long enough to hit level 7.

Sound logic, in addition guard is more useful when you have multiple of it. Which is why I don't pick up guard quickly on my trolls or fanatic on a goblin team because we just can't make good use of it in a majority of our games to be worth the team value.

Plus mutations are one of the special things for Underworld. Why not use it?

I don't think FA will do anything versus my fanatic if he swings in the right direction though (But I may be wrong about this).

Whatever the choice, grats on the Level 6 troll, I hope that Breaking the Bank will join him in the hall of fame some day.

Edit: I will also add, Prehensile tail could be worth taking for the final level if you want to continue just running no guard on the team. Then other teams have the risk of wasting a players action trying to dodge away(Tents), extra chance to fail the dodge if they get past the tents roll and sending backup to try and block themsevles free may not be worth the effort if he has Block and FA.

Last edited:

akirilus

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
Options I'm considering.

Might Blow

Mighty Blow - done and done.

I've been there - Flesh Golems level so agonizingly slow. Took MB on my only golem to ever make it to level 3, and never looked back. It can go a long way against Norse, and even against elves (especially of the AV7 variety), setting him up on the LoS to get an MB hit in can sometimes net you a removal for free and costs nothing in terms of positioning. It also discourages people from face marking him with reckless abandon - the psychological value of MB is probably higher than the actual increase in lethality. Finally, it will probably kind of help him level up faster? Maybe?

Werebat

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Werebat
Country Flag
Edit: I will also add, Prehensile tail could be worth taking for the final level if you want to continue just running no guard on the team. Then other teams have the risk of wasting a players action trying to dodge away(Tents), extra chance to fail the dodge if they get past the tents roll and sending backup to try and block themsevles free may not be worth the effort if he has Block and FA.

Good points. What do you think of Grab?

Street

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Street
Country Flag
Good points. What do you think of Grab?

Good skill to do hitting and keep the players you hit next to you, but it requires you to take an action where you could go stupid and suddenly all his value is gone for a turn.

If you had Pro on him it would be a lot better, but hey. All of this is in theory suggestions by me. Never played a Underworld team past very low tv.

Werebat

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Werebat
Country Flag
Good skill to do hitting and keep the players you hit next to you, but it requires you to take an action where you could go stupid and suddenly all his value is gone for a turn.

If you had Pro on him it would be a lot better, but hey. All of this is in theory suggestions by me. Never played a Underworld team past very low tv.

Think I'm going to go with FA. With a MA of 3, when he gets knocked down he has a 1 in 6 risk of falling down if I try to blitz him up, so it's best for him not to get knocked down.

Silfuin

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Silfuin
Country Flag
Hello everybody.

Her is my team:
ImageRoster.aspx

Dinwe, my rookie WD, got a normal skill.
Any suggestion, besides the usual strip ball or tackle?

I was thinking that Frenzy could synergize very well with the mobile assist that Thilgon is able to provide (even more so after he gets leap ...)

akirilus

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
I was thinking that Frenzy could synergize very well with the mobile assist that Thilgon is able to provide (even more so after he gets leap ...)

Thilgon will provide that assist right until the time he dies (Niggle) or more likely gets MNGed. Frenzy loses too much control on your key blitzing piece - you really don't want a -2d followup most of the time, I would imagine, although sideline control is nice. I would be boring here and go Strip Ball or Tackle, or perhaps Side Step. Myabe Side Step since you already have a SB one, although having two of them doesn't hurt (in case one goes down).

Nikolai II

Super Moderator
Steam Username
Dreamy
Cyanide Username
Dreamy
Country Flag
If you want to go for more sideline plays, frenzy works, but you are a bit low on the sidestepping assists. Having a second SB or Tackler isn't wrong though.

TravelScrabble

Mega Star Player
Steam Username
travelscrabble
Cyanide Username
travelscrabble
Country Flag
Slann question for all you TT players and theorybowlers out there. I have a block Slann blitzer who just hit level 3 in my OFL team and I'm trying to decide between dodge and guard.

The argument for dodge is that I already have 5 blodgers on the team, close to 6 and 7 blodgers is officially an awesome pita for the opposition. Also, levelling these blitzers is not that easy but dodge possibly helps them get in position for handoffs etc...

Argument for guard is that it would be my 3rd guard and I have a dream to have a guard Krox plus two guard blitzers to act as the lynchpin of my defense. Slann are really good at d, I've only shipped 7 tds in 11 games this season and the key to that is to stretch the play and then start leaping in.

Ultimately of course I want both but 31spp is a long way away (I have one blitzer who's only for 5 in like 16 games although this one has only take 6 or so to get to 16) so which is better to take now?

Before somebody suggests mb let me just say that I have another blitzer I want to develop as a killer and for me there's no rush. The OFL is super bash heavy - only 3 elves among 40 teams and all of them av 8 then just 1 skaven and 1 uwd and that's it for lightly armored. In short removing players is never plan A unless you have claw.

Midros

Mega Star Player
Country Flag
BC Skaven question. Lowest ranking GR hit level 4, has blodge, ss, got a normal roll.

Other GR's are

Stripper - agi 5, leap, wrestle, stripball, dauntless

1 turner - MV10, block, 2heads, sprint

1 turner backup - MV10, blodge, ss

So originally this guy was going to be the DT blodge ss guy which he still could be.

This one is the one that is the 'bait' and would be open to be blitzed more often as he is the least valuable. Due to this I was also considering fend to hopefully make him last longer. Otherwise DT of course goes well with his current build but I don't actually attack cage corners to put a marker on that often so wouldn't be essential.

Other viable options are dauntless or perhaps pass block.

Anyone have strong opinions about this? Still stronger considering fend but otherwise DT are the top two for me.

Silfir

Veteran
Cyanide Username
Silfir
Country Flag
Got a levelup on my Amazon team that just won a private league title and might see some more play in the future, and I could use some input.

Blitzer - Guard
Blitzer - Guard
Blitzer - Tackle - ??? (5+5)
Blitzer
Thrower - Block - Sure Hands
Thrower
Catcher - +AGI - Block - Side Step
Catcher - +AGI - Block
Linewoman - Wrestle
Linewoman - Kick - Block
Linewoman
Linewoman
Linewoman

What would you use the 5+5 for? I don't see a lot of attractive doubles. Jump Up? I don't even have Mighty Blow yet, let alone Piling On, and no guarantee of ever getting that far. How about Movement - 7 MA could work wonders in reaching my blitzing targets. Or are both of these merely cunning temptation thrown my way by Nuffle himself and I should pick Mighty Blow so I finally have some of it on the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.