Blood Bowl 2020 FAQ

dissatisfiedcow

Veteran
Country Flag
In addition to this the pro skill doesn't mention the scatter or deviate rolls. So can a thrower with Pro reroll the scatter dice on a inaccurate or wildly inaccurate pass.
I assume not but a rules lawyer may feel differently.
Another roll this could apply to is the distance of scattering a Thrown Team-Mate with Swoop, but now we seem to be getting into edge cases...

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
That is how it currently works but the new rules say If there are nominated as a target of a block action they can throw a quick pass.
That nomination happens before the move.
In the old ruleset, you can only declare a block action if you are next to the target. Have they changed that?

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
In the old ruleset, you can only declare a block action if you are next to the target. Have they changed that?

Yes Blitz now says
In addition they may perform a block action the target of which must be nominated when the player is activated, before they have moved.

dissatisfiedcow

Veteran
Country Flag
Yes Blitz now says
In addition they may perform a block action the target of which must be nominated when the player is activated, before they have moved.
The Delcaring Actions section even states in general that actions and, if required, their target must be declared before performing the action. This (implicitly) means that the target of other actions like Stab, Hypnotic Gaze, etc. must also be declared before starting to move (although these actions don't state this as explicitly).

tys123

Courier Staff
Country Flag
The Delcaring Actions section even states in general that actions and, if required, their target must be declared before performing the action. This (implicitly) means that the target of other actions like Stab, Hypnotic Gaze, etc. must also be declared before starting to move (although these actions don't state this as explicitly).

Apart from Pass.
That states you can measure at any point in your movement to any possible target square.
So clearly you don't have to declare the target of the pass before you start moving.

Netsmurf

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Netsmurf
Country Flag
Apart from Pass.
That states you can measure at any point in your movement to any possible target square.
So clearly you don't have to declare the target of the pass before you start moving.
Gotta love Grandma Wendy for the inconsistency :p

dissatisfiedcow

Veteran
Country Flag
I think this next question will answer itself, but I still wanted to get it out there to make sure: when you spend SPP on a characteristic increase and you don't want the result you rolled (e.g. rolling 14 (+AG/PA) on a Rotspawn), you can choose a Secondary. If I'm not mistaken, you are not allowed to choose a Primary at that point, correct?

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
The rules do specifically say that you can choose a secondary skill if you roll a characteristic increase you don't want. I can't really see any sensible league commissioner house ruling that you couldn't take a primary instead.

Jorgen_CAB

Veteran
Country Flag
I would agree... I don't see any reason why you could not agree that it could be a primary. But you still lose all the SPP as if it was for a stat increase. You pay for rolling on the table and may then choose another skill instead if you wish.

Grevalus

Rookie
Steam Username
Greval
Country Flag
Hi all, new to this forum.. I have gone through the 2020 rules and I have some queries that I believe were not added / asked here. Please excuse if they are "silly" or obvious. However...
1 - A failed pass interference conversion into an intercept "scatters" (3x) from the interferer, if it lands back on that player and he then catches, is it an intercept?

2 - Throw team mate - if the thrown player lands on another player (knocking them both down), then bounces into another player, it just says "repeat the above", is that referring to bouncing again, or for knocking the 2nd player down as well? what if the thrown player is casualtied before bouncing into another player? does he still hit that player or does he roll again for injury? Do you only roll once, once he finally lands?

3 - Plague Ridden - Says, "Hire the new Rotter exactly like you would hire a journeyman", Do we now have to PAY for the newly created Rotter? I would imagine so as in a later rule about Zombies, you get a free Zombie.

4 - Winnings: It says the coaches half the total Fan Attendance (and add each teams touchdowns) x10000. If the total attendance was an odd number, do we round up or down or can winnings be in 5000's as well? (IE: 7000 fans attended, does each coach get 35000gp + 10000 for each touchdown?)

Sorry if any of these were asked before...

Thanks,

Last edited:

Grevalus

Rookie
Steam Username
Greval
Country Flag
5 - In addition to the "Pile Driver" skill question, one would assume that this "free foul" would gain assists to the armor roll as normal (and will be sent off on doubles as usual or 5+ for biased referee?)

Coach

Administrator
Head Coach
Country Flag
1 - A failed pass interference conversion into an intercept "scatters" (3x) from the interferer, if it lands back on that player and he then catches, is it an intercept?

Whilst the opposing player has ended up with the ball, they didn't do it by rolling a sucessful interception so they don't get SPP for it. Obviously each league could house rule this but I've never seen anyone do this.

2 - Throw team mate - if the thrown player lands on another player (knocking them both down), then bounces into another player, it just says "repeat the above", is that referring to bouncing again, or for knocking the 2nd player down as well? what if the thrown player is casualtied before bouncing into another player? does he still hit that player or does he roll again for injury? Do you only roll once, once he finally lands?

You only roll armour (and possibly injury) for the player they landed on who got knocked over. You don't roll armour for the thrown player until they finish on an unoccupied square. So the thrown player can bounce onto multiple other players, knocking each of them over in turn.

3 - Plague Ridden - Says, "Hire the new Rotter exactly like you would hire a journeyman", Do we now have to PAY for the newly created Rotter? I would imagine so as in a later rule about Zombies, you get a free Zombie.

The skill description says you may hire them. If you want to keep them then you will need to pay for them (same way you have to pay to keep a journeyman after a game), if you don't pay then they leave the team.

4 - Winnings: It says the coaches half the total Fan Attendance (and add each teams touchdowns) x10000. If the total attendance was an odd number, do we round up or down or can winnings be in 5000's as well? (IE: 7000 fans attended, does each coach get 35000gp + 10000 for each touchdown?)

As there are lots of players now who cost an odd 5,000 and it doesn't mention that you round up or down, it makes sense that each team would just get 35,000 (+ TD money) in your example.

Grevalus

Rookie
Steam Username
Greval
Country Flag
Great thanks, all makes sense. Pity about the rotters though... also find it interesting that rotters can be turned into zombies now too.

Unrelated but I'm seeing on many other groups that the consensus on announcing targets of actions is only pertaining to blocks as it only specifically says that in the blocking rule but not in any other action rules. The statement of "must declare the target if necessary"is being accepted as blocks only

dissatisfiedcow

Veteran
Country Flag
5 - In addition to the "Pile Driver" skill question, one would assume that this "free foul" would gain assists to the armor roll as normal (and will be sent off on doubles as usual or 5+ for biased referee?)
I would assume so, otherwise it wouldn't be a foul.

Great thanks, all makes sense. Pity about the rotters though... also find it interesting that rotters can be turned into zombies now too.
That was the case in the LRB6 edition as well (don't know about BB2016, never actually played it)

Unrelated but I'm seeing on many other groups that the consensus on announcing targets of actions is only pertaining to blocks as it only specifically says that in the blocking rule but not in any other action rules. The statement of "must declare the target if necessary"is being accepted as blocks only
The "must declare targets" is stated in the Declaring Action section on page 42 (very first sentence). I'm assuming that other groups have other consensus, either because they house ruled it, or because the rules are unclear and need an FAQ badly.

[Edit: the Passing rules specifically state you can declare the target square after moving and it insinuates that you can change the target square while moving. My guess is that "target squares" are handled differently than "target players".

In any case, the Passing rules are somewhat strange anyway: it is specifically stated that you can measure the range between the passing player and possible target squares. This actually suggests that you're not allowed to measure ranges anywhere on the board at any time, only after having declared the Pass action. This is absolutely stupid (in my opinion at least): you're perfectly able to measure movement before activating a player and you can overlay the passing chart over the pitch in your mind. It's not like there's guessing or chance involved.]

Last edited:

cjblackburn

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
cjblackburn
Country Flag
That is how it currently works but the new rules say If there are nominated as a target of a block action they can throw a quick pass.
That nomination happens before the move.
Off the top of my head my reading is since it’s the nomination of the block action. You nominate the target of the blitz, then move, then nominate the block action, dump off and then perform block action.

Mr Suplex

Star Player
Country Flag
Does anything in the game interact with the new definition of Stalling other than the "Throw a Rock" Prayer to Nuffle?

Street

Mega Star Player
Cyanide Username
Street
Country Flag
Does anything in the game interact with the new definition of Stalling other than the "Throw a Rock" Prayer to Nuffle?

Some of the cards you can buy and pick from interact with it as well.